·  LMS  ·  GWR  ·  LNER  ·  Misc  ·  Stations  ·  What's New  ·  Video  ·  Guestbook  ·  About

GWR Route: Alcester to Hatton Junction

GWR Route: North Warwickshire Line

Bearley Junction: gwrbj776

Ex-ROD 2-8-0 No 3048 is about to surrender the single line staff for the Hatton  Claverdon - Bearley section

Ex-ROD 2-8-0 No 3048 was one of 80 engines built for the Railway Operating Division for operation in France during WW1 and purchased by the Great Western in 1925 for £1,500 each. A previous batch of 20 new engines had been purchased in 1919. Built in 1919, No 3048 was one of the 50 ROD’s that were Westernised with copper fireboxes, Swindon superheaters, top feed and GW safety valves, she was finally withdrawn in May 1956.

Seen here on what is thought to be on a Banbury - South Wales ironstone train, its fireman is about to surrender the single line staff for the Hatton – Claverdon - Bearley section at the Bearley East Junction Signal Box, c1939. This section was a bottle neck to traffic and was reconstructed between March 1938 and July 1939 as a double line.

Robert Ferris

back