GWR Route: Banbury to Wolverhampton
GWR Route: North Warwickshire Line
Birmingham Snow Hill Station: gwrbsh69b
Close up of image 'gwrbsh69' showing an unidentified GWR
39xx class 2-6-2T locomotive, one of a class of twenty converted from 0-6-0
Dean Goods engines, standing at the head of an up local passenger train to
Leamington. On the platform are numerous milk churns and other parcel traffic
being transported, once the staple traffic of railways and found at both local
stations where farmers delivered their supplies and at major stations where
merchants of milk and dairy products would collect them for distributing around
the town or city.
Robert provides further information on the class from the
Part 5 of the RCTS' series of books on GWR Locomotives, "Twenty 2301 class
0-6-0 Dean Goods were converted to 2-6-2T locomotives between February 1907 (No
3901 - ex2491) and January 1910 (No 3920 - ex2502) by Swindon Works under Lot
104. The aim was to provide a more powerful suburban tank for the Birmingham
Area without adversely impacting the extensive new engine build programme at
the Works which was occurring at that time. Existing cylinders, rods, motion
and coupled wheels were reused to avoid the principle bottle necks in the
production programme, but it still took three years to complete the twenty
engines in the class.
The class received superheaters between 1914 and 1917, but
the engine in the picture does not have this. The majority of the engines in
the class operated in the Birmingham Area until 1923, when some movement to
South Wales and West Country occurred. By 1929 they had been displaced from
their Birmingham duties by the new 2-6-2T large prairie tank locomotives.
Withdrawals started in 1931 and the whole class had gone by November 1934. The
last engine to go was No 3916 - ex2494."