· Misc ·
· Guestbook ·
The Henley-in-Arden Engine shed opened at the same time as
the Henley branch line in the spring of 1894. It stabled the branch engine and
was a sub shed of Bordesley shed. When the North Warwickshire line was
constructed the engine shed became superfluous and was reportedly closed when
the new line opened on 1st July 1908 , however records show that 0-4-2T
auto-engines for the Henley to Birmingham via Lapworth passenger service were
still allocated to the shed up to the start of the first world war. After the
war the engine shed was converted for goods use. Loading platforms were
provided on both sides of the shed with doorways through the window aperture.
The inside was boarded over to provide a timber floor on the same level. The
engine shed was constructed with red brick walls with a gable style roof. The
internal dimensions of the shed were; 42 feet long by 16 feet wide and an
inspection pit was provided under the single road. At the rear of the shed was
a messroom with internal dimensions of 8 feet 6 inches by 16 feet. Above this
messroom was a high level water tank. The water tank was retained after the
shed had closed to supply the cattle pens and former station lavatories. A
tapered coaling platform 20 foot long by 8 foot 4 inches, reducing to 4 foot 7
inches was provided.
1st January 1901 0-4-2T No 523
Much of the information on this and other pages of
Warwickshire Railways is derived from articles or books listed in our 'bibliography'.