·  LMS  ·  GWR  ·  LNER  ·  Misc  ·  Stations  ·  What's New  ·  Video  ·  Guestbook  ·  About

GWR Route: Moreton-in-Marsh to Shipston-on-Stour

Shipston-on-Stour Station

Shipston-on-Stour station was first opened on 11th February 1836 as a branch line terminus of the horse-drawn Moreton-in-Marsh to Stratford upon Avon Tramway. Initially, during its days as part of the tramway, the station was used only for goods traffic although individual passengers could ride alongside the driver. It was not until 1st July 1889 that the station became a part of the GWR's network able to be connected to other parts of the country with steam hauled traffic. The opening of the line to steam locomotives also resulted in Shipston-on-Stour being provided with a small brick-built engine shed although this only lasted for twenty-seven years being closed in November 1916. Thereafter the traffic on the branch was handled by the engine hauling the first Worcester to Moreton-in-Marsh goods train. The initial four trains per day each way was reduced as a wartime economy measure to two trains per day with Stretton-on-Fosse station being temporarily closed. The cessation of the war saw traffic increase to three trains per day (and Stretton-on-Fosse being reopened in March 1919). Passenger traffic was withdrawn on 8th July 1929 being replaced by a GWR bus service although records show passengers still purchased tickets for the following two years. The Second World War saw further economies take place on the line which resulted in Stretton-on-Fosse and Longdon Road closing for good although Shipston-on-Stour remained open for goods traffic. Goods services finally closed at Shipston on 2nd May 1960 although the station did remain open to handle rail traffic brought from Moreton-in-Marsh by road lorry.

Shipston-on-Stour Station (38) Shipston-on-Stour Shed (8)

Shipston-on-Stour station

Looking along the platform towards Moreton-in-Marsh with the goods shed on the left and the timber constructed station building on the right
Ref: gwrss536
P Hopkins
Looking towards Moreton-in-Marsh with the goods shed on the left and the station building on the right
Close up showing the timber framed and clad station building which housed the booking office waiting rooms and toilet facilities
Ref: gwrss536b
P Hopkins
Close up showing the station building which housed the booking office waiting rooms and toilet facilities
Edwardian view of a GWR 0-6-0ST at the head of a mixed local passenger service to Moreton in Marsh with local passengers and staff posed for the camera
Ref: gwrss533
Postcard
A GWR 0-6-0ST at the head of a mixed local passenger service with local passengers posed for the camera
Close up of the branch's mixed local passenger service shortly to depart for the short trip to Moreton-in-Marsh
Ref: gwrss533a
Postcard
Close up of the branch's mixed local passenger service shortly to depart for the short trip to Moreton-in-Marsh
View of the station from the goods yard prior to the loading dock being built in 1914 and showing a GWR 0-6-0ST at the head of a one-coach train
Ref: gwrss558
Anon
The station from the goods yard prior to the loading dock being built in 1914 with a GWR
0-6-0ST on a one-coach train

Close up  showing the method of releasing the locomotive after it had brought the train from Moreton-in-Marsh
gwrss535a
P Hopkins
Close up showing the method of releasing the locomotive after it had brought the train from Moreton-in-Marsh
Another view looking down the line towards Moreton-in-Marsh with the station on the right and the goods shed on the left
Ref: gwrss539
CR Clinker
Another view looking down the line towards Moreton with the station on the right and the goods shed on the left
 Looking towards Moreton-in-Marsh with the loading dock fence and gates removed and with the goods yard and shed still in good repair
Ref: gwrss603
Anon
View showing the loading dock fence and gates removed but with the goods yard and shed still in good repair
Station building which contained from left to right, gentlemen's lavatory, ladies  waiting room with lavatory, general waiting room and booking office
Ref: gwrss606
JH Russell
The station building contained the gentlemen's lavatory, ladies and general waiting room, and booking office
View of the station in disrepair and long after closure with the loading dock's fencing removed
Ref: gwrss545
JH Russell
View showing the station in disrepair and long after its closure with the loading dock's fencing removed

Looking along the platform long after the station had closed to passenger services with the ground frame now removed
Ref: gwrss537
JH Moss
View looking along the platform, long after the station had closed, showing the ground frame now removed
View of the station towards the end of the goods service with just a two van train train and guards van standing along side the closed passenger station
Ref: gwrss567
D Lawrence
A goods train comprised of just two ventilated vans and a guards van stand in the long closed station
View of a railway enthusiasts visiting the station in the late 1950s a common practice on goods only lines before the end of steam
Ref: gwrss534
Anon
Railway enthusiasts visiting the station in the late 1950s a common sight on goods only lines before the end of steam
View of the ground frame with the single point lever that controlled the locomotive release points at the southern end of the station
Ref: gwrss607
JH Moss
The single point lever ground frame which controlled the release points at the southern end of the station
View of the 'Stop board' which controlled the passage of trains and engines entering the confines of the station
Ref: gwrss961
HF Wheeler
View of the 'Stop board' which controlled the passage of trains and engines entering the confines of the station

Ex-MSWJR 0-6-0 No 1335 has run around the SLS special from Oxford and is now ready to reverse the train back to Morton-in-Marsh tender first
Ref: gwrss566
Anon
Ex-MSWJR 0-6-0 No 1335 has run around the SLS special from Oxford and is now ready to reverse the train back to Morton

Shipston-on-Stour Goods Shed and Yard

Close up  showing the goods shed and the loading dock used to transfer road vehicles on to flat wagons protected by the five-bar gate
Ref: gwrss536a
P Hopkins
Close up showing the goods shed and the loading dock used to transfer road vehicles on to flat wagons
Looking towards the station with the cattle dock on the left and the goods shed beyond protected by a standard GWR loading gauge
Ref: gwrss538
Anon
Looking towards the station with the cattle dock on the left and the goods shed beyond protected by a standard loading gauge
Close up showing how the track adjacent to cattle docks was protected by providing hard standing
Ref: gwrss538a
Anon
Close up showing how the track adjacent to cattle docks was protected by providing hard standing
A 1930s view of the station looking towards the buffer stops with the single platform terminus on the left and the goods shed on the right
Ref: gwrss535
P Hopkins
A 1930s view looking towards the buffer stops with the single platform terminus on the left and the goods shed on the right
View of the goods shed and extra storage facilities provided by the addition of two grounded bodies which have been raised clear of the ground
Ref: gwrss541
JH Russell
The goods shed with additional storage facilities being provided by two grounded bodies raised clear of the ground

View of the grounded bodies which were from an ex-Taff Vale Railway inside frame Van and an ex-GWR Dean 40 foot passenger bogie brake van
Ref: gwrss542
JH Moss
The grounded bodies comprised an ex-Taff Vale Railway inside frame Van and an ex-GWR Dean 40 foot bogie brake van
Looking across to the cattle pens from the end of the platform with the goods shed on the left and the original engine shed in the background
Ref: gwrss950
MJE Deane
Looking across to the cattle pens from the end of the platform with the goods shed on the left and engine shed behind
View of the goods shed which being built of corrugated iron looks more utilitarian than the standard GWR design built out of brick or stone
Ref: gwrss568
JH Moss
The goods shed which being built of corrugated iron looks more utilitarian than the standard GWR design built of brick or stone
 Looking towards the throat of the junction with the goods yard with the plate layers mess hut on the right with the roof of the single road engine shed seen above
Ref: gwrss571
CR Clinker
Looking towards the goods yard junction with the plate layers hut on the right and the single road engine shed behind it
View of the station, the goods shed, cattle dock and coal merchant sidings located at Shipston-on-Stour
Ref: gwrss1002
MEJ Deane
View of the station, the goods shed, cattle dock and coal merchant sidings located at Shipston-on-Stour

View of the station's goods yard facilities which included the cattle dock the long siding which by used for local coal merchants
Ref: gwrss1003
MEJ Deane
View of the station's goods yard facilities which included the cattle dock the long siding which by used for local coal merchants
Close up showing the grounded ex-GWR Dean 40 foot passenger bogie brake van and still on its wheels a GWR four-wheel Van
Ref: gwrss950a
MJE Deane
Close up showing the grounded ex-GWR Dean 40 foot passenger bogie brake van and still on its wheels a GWR four-wheel Van
View of the station and goods yard with the track over grown taken one year after being brought into British Railways ownership
Ref: gwrss569
JH Moss
View of the station and goods yard with the track over grown taken one year after being brought into BR ownership
A panoramic view of the terminus facing the buffers with Hudson's sack office, the weigh bridge office and Hutchings coal office on the right
Ref: gwrss544
JH Russell
A panoramic view of the station with Hudson's sack office, the weigh bridge office and Hutchings coal office on the right
View of the GWR weigh house looking from the road with the goods shed in the distance and the locomotive shed further behind
Ref: gwrss543
MJ Deane
Looking from the road towards the weigh bridge with the goods shed in the distance and the engine shed further behind

Looking along the defunct passenger station with the local goods service preparing to return to Moreton-in-Marsh tender first
Ref: gwrss570
GJ Gammel
Looking along the defunct passenger station with the local goods service preparing to return to Moreton-in-Marsh tender first
Ex-GWR 0-6-0 'Dean Goods' No 2458 is seen in July 1953 at the head of the short return branch freight to Moreton-in-Marsh
Ref: gwrss602
NE Preedy
Ex-GWR 0-6-0 'Dean Goods' No 2458 is seen in July 1953 at the head of the short return branch freight to Moreton-in-Marsh
View of an unidentified GWR 0-6-0 2301 class as it shunts in the station station just after the end of the Second World War
Ref: gwrss960
JH Russell
View of an unidentified GWR 0-6-0 2301 class as it shunts in the station station just after the end of the Second World War

Miscellaneous

Ordnance Survey map showing the layout of Shipson-on-Stour station and goods yard and shed
Ref: gwrss604
Ordnance Survey
Ordnance Survey map showing the layout of Shipson-on-Stour station, goods yard and shed
A 1923 25 inch Ordnance Survey map showing the layout of Shipson-on-Stour station and goods yard and shed
Ref: gwrss3103
Ordnance Survey
A 1923 25 inch Ordnance Survey map showing the layout of Shipson-on-Stour station, goods yard and shed

Ref: gwrss3104
Great Western Railway
A 1916 Official Track Plan showing the layout of Shipson-on-Stour station and it's water supply
Three principal sources of goods traffic seen operating in the 1930s at Shipston-on-Stour goods yard
Ref: gwrss3105
Wild Swan Publications
Three principal sources of goods traffic seen operating in the 1930s at Shipston-on-Stour goods yard
  A turn of the century view of Station Road and the terrace houses that lined the street with Shipston-on-Stour station in the distance
Ref: gwrss561
Anon
A turn of the 20th century view of Station Road and the terrace houses that lined the street with the station in the distance

Shipston-on-Stour Station (38) Shipston-on-Stour Shed (8)