GWR & LMS Joint Route: Halesowen to Northfield
The line between Halesowen and Halesowen Junction near
Northfield was built as an independent line jointly operated by the Great
Western and Midland Railways. A Great Western and Midland Railways Joint
Committee ran the line from 2nd May 1894. The Great Western allowed the Joint
Railway the use of their Halesowen station at a rent of £250 per annum.
The railway was jointly vested in both companies from 30th June 1906. The
Midland ran passenger trains from Northfield to Halesowen until 1919 and the
GWR ran passenger trains from Old Hill to Rubery until 1886. both railways ran
goods services especially during the building of the Birmingham Corporation's
Frankley reservoir and Elan aqueduct at the turn of the century. Both owners
ran unadvertised workman's trains to Longbridge from towards the end of the
First World War until September 1958 for the GWR/Western Region, and January
1960 for the MR/LMS/Midland Region.
Select a station or subheading to view associated images.
Numbers in [brackets] specify the number of photos on each page.