Another view of ex-MR 4-4-0 2P No 40443 standing at platform 1 on an up service to Rugby circa 1949. Designed by Samuel W Johnson for passenger work on the Midland Railway this design was, through the dominance of former Midland Railway senior executives and management, to become the basis for the later LMS Class 2P 4-4-0. The London, Midland and Scottish Railway inherited three batches of these locomotives with some, such as No 40443, passing into British Railways ownership in 1948. The first batch of seventeen locomotives and the second batch of one hundred and forty-three locomotives were originally built between 1882 to 1891 and 1891 to 1901 respectively. All had 6 foot 6.5 inch driving wheels, 18 inch diameter by 26 inch stroke cylinders fitted with slide valves, Stephenson valve gear and unsaturated boilers.
Some of the initial batch of seventeen locomotives were rebuilt from 1910 onwards forming the basis of the new design. All of the second batch of one hundred and forty-three locomotives were rebuilt between 1912 and 1923 whilst a third batch of five locomotives, specifically for the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway, were built between 1914 and 1921. The rebuilt locomotives were fitted with larger, 7 foot 0.5 inch driving wheels, 20.5 inch diameter by 26 inch stroke cylinders fitted with piston valves, with superheaters fitted to the boilers resulting in the smokebox being extended. The five Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway locomotives were built new to this design and were taken into LMS stock in 1930 when the SDJR was absorbed by the Southern Railway and LMS.