|HOME : LMS : GWR : LNER : MISC : ABOUT US : SEARCH|
A newly introduced DMU stands on the down platform whilst one of the last Push-Pull trains to see service in the area stands at the up platform circa 1957-8. The LMS operated Push-Pull trains so that they could run in either direction with the driver operating the train from a driving cabin at the end of a specially converted or built coach. Push-Pull trains could operate either in standard configuration with the locomotive at one end and the driver trailer at the other or, in instances where heavy commuter traffic was involved, the locomotive would be sandwiched in the middle as seen at Kenilworth in image 'lnwrk152'. DMUs were introduced on local services in 1958 and very quickly replaced steam hauled local passenger services. Their lightweight bodies coupled with diesel engines meant that they had rapid acceleration. The introduction of DMUs coincided with an increase in the timings of local services except on the Coventry to Birmingham route. The latter being because there was little point accelerating services if the extensive remodelling of Coventry and New Street station, combined with the upgrade to overhead electric traction, meant that the service would be downgraded within the next two years.