·  LMS  ·  GWR  ·  LNER  ·  Misc  ·  Stations  ·  What's New  ·  Video  ·  Guestbook  ·  About

Binton Station

LMS Route: The Shakespeare Route

Opened by the Evesham Redditch and Stratford-upon-Avon Junction Railway between Broom Junction and Stratford upon Avon, Binton Station was adjacent to the Evesham Road midway between Binton and Welford-on-Avon. The East and West Junction Railway had opened between Stratford-upon-Avon and Towcester between 1871 and 1873. Income from the latter line was much less than hoped for and therefore a new section, promoted as the Evesham Redditch and Stratford-upon-Avon Junction Railway, was incorporated in 1873 and opened in 1879. This connected with the Midland Railway at Broom Junction. By this time however the East and West Junction had ceased carrying passengers, and did not restart passenger services until 1885 which was when this station was built. Though the EWJR had been using the ER&SJ from the outset, it had not been making any payments and the latter became virtually bankrupt in 1886.

Th Railway's finances were helped by a partial reorganisation in 1908 with the merger of the two lines into the Stratford-upon-Avon and Midland Junction Railway together with the Stratford-upon-Avon, Towcester & Midland Junction Railway and the Northampton & Banbury Junction Railway. The group of lines carried on unsteadily until grouping in 1923 when they became part of the London Midland and Scottish Railway. The line to the west of Stratford upon Avon was treated by the LMS as being separate to that running to the east of Stratford upon Avon. Passenger traffic was minimal, being limited, in 1905 for instance, to four trains daily in each direction. This continued until 1938, when oncoming Second World War meant that the service was reduced to one day train daily in each direction. Even this service was discontinued on the 16th of June 1947. Both this station and the adjacent Binton Station closed on the 23rd of May 1949. Freight traffic ceased in 1960 when the line was lifted. The station was of simple brick construction with one platform for the single line which had a passing loop to the west. This connected to a siding to the rear of the station with a carriage dock and a goods shed which included the luxury of a 30 cwt (one and half tons) hand-operated crane.

An external view of the front of Binton station looking in the direction of Stratford upon Avon after closure to passenger traffic
Ref: smjb5
Lens of Sutton
An external view of the front of Binton station looking in the direction of Stratford upon Avon after closure to passenger traffic
Looking towards Broom with the station building on the right, the goods shed and in the distance the single siding with open wagons
Ref: smjb4
Lens of Sutton
Looking towards Broom with the station building on the right, the goods shed and in the distance the single siding with open wagons
Close up of Binton station's goods shed with doors closed and with wagons standing on the siding beneath the loading gauge
Ref: smjb4a
Lens of Sutton
Close up of Binton station's goods shed with doors closed and with wagons standing on the siding beneath the loading gauge
Close up showing Binton station's single storey passenger building and the out houses which included the gentlemen's toilets
Ref: smjb4b
Lens of Sutton
Close up showing Binton station's single storey passenger building and the out houses which included the gentlemen's toilets
Looking towards Broom Junction after Binton station had finally succumbed to competition by road transport and had been closed
Ref: smjb6
HC Casserley
Looking towards Broom Junction after Binton station had finally succumbed to competition by road transport and had been closed

Close up of  Binton station's goods shed and single road siding which were still in use after the station closed to passenger traffic
Ref: smjb6a
HC Casserley
Close up of Binton station's goods shed and single road siding which were still in use after the station closed to passenger traffic
Close up of Binton passenger station after closure showing the platform sign pointing to gentlemen's toilets has been removed
Ref: smjb6b
HC Casserley
Close up of Binton passenger station after closure showing the platform sign pointing to gentlemen's toilets has been removed
Looking from the Bidford ipon Avon end of Binton station towards Stratford upon Avon shortly after the station was closed to passengers
Ref: smjb83
Real Photos
Looking from the Bidford ipon Avon end of Binton station towards Stratford upon Avon shortly after the station was closed to passengers
Close up showing the otherside of Binton station with the corrugated metal hut defining the goods yard's boundary
Ref: smjb83a
Real Photos
Close up showing the otherside of Binton station with the corrugated metal hut defining the goods yard's boundary
View along Binton station's abandoned platform towards Broom Junction with on the left the still used but overgrown single line
Ref: smjb106
Lens of Sutton
View along Binton station's abandoned platform towards Broom Junction with on the left the still used but overgrown single line

A reverse angle view along the still used but overgrown single line towards Stratford upon Avon with the disused station on the left
Ref: smjb107
Lens of Sutton
A reverse angle view along the still used but overgrown single line towards Stratford upon Avon with the disused station on the left
Binton station on 12th May 1966, some 17 years after the withdrawal of passenger services on 23rd of May 1949
Ref: smjb191
J Evans
Binton station on 12th May 1966, some 17 years after the withdrawal of passenger services on 23rd of May 1949
Close up of Binton passenger station after closure showing the platform sign pointing to gentlemen's toilets has been removed
Ref: smjb190
A Jordon
Diagram showing the simple layout of Binton station and goods shed and yard as seen post-1900