: LMS :
ABOUT US :
Handsworth and Smethwick
Handsworth & Smethwick station opened in 1854 on the GWR
line from Snow Hill to Wolverhampton Low Level, a project originally mooted by
the Birmingham Wolverhampton & Dudley Railway: a company for whom the GWR
offered 'guidance' and within a short time, complete absorption.
The BW&D's influence can be seen in the station
architecture. Its rigid block-like stylings are very distinctive and almost a
carbon copy of their other stations on the line: West Bromwich and Wednesbury
Central, for example. The station closed, along with the line, in 1972 after
services being gradually run-down for the previous few years.
Select an image below to view the larger version with