·  LMS  ·  GWR  ·  LNER  ·  Misc  ·  Stations  ·  What's New  ·  Video  ·  Guestbook  ·  About

GWR Route: North Warwickshire Line

Stratford on Avon Shed

Stratford on Avon Station (76) Stratford on Avon Station - Locomotives (60) Stratford on Avon Shed (22) John Davies - Stratford on Avon Fireman

The first engine shed at Stratford-on-Avon was built in 1859 to house the OWWR branch engine. This single road structure was located opposite the Stratford West Signal Box and deemed inadequate once construction of the North Warwickshire Railway and Honeybourne Line were proposed. A new Stratford-on-Avon shed was authorised in March 1906 and the contract awarded to Messrs. CK Hunt & Son in December 1909 for £3,147. It was opened in 1911 as a sub shed to Tyseley Shed and given the number 5171. The Shed consisted of an engine shed built to the Churchward standard straight road design and a combined coaling stage and water tank. The engine shed was 155 foot long by 38 foot wide and accommodated two railroads. The red brick walls were 18 foot high with large windows along both sides and posts at 10 foot intervals supporting a series of single 30 foot span trusses on which was an asbestos slated roof with a glazed clerestory. The roof trusses were constructed with timber rafters and cast steel ties to reduce the corrosive effect of the smoke fumes. Integral to the roof were smoke troughs above each railroad, which lead to ten pairs of square vent shafts. The two gable ends were also red brick with large double wooden doors for the tracks a both ends of the engine shed.

The rear doors were provided despite the fact that the railroads stopped just short of the back gable end. Inspection pits ran almost the full length of both railroads inside the engine shed and externally pits were provided adjacent to the entrance. Small red brick office (43 feet by 14 feet) and store (50 feet by 14 feet) buildings abutted the eastern side wall and were accessed from the engine shed. The engine shed, attached buildings and yard were all lit by gas lamps. The coal stage was unusual in having a steel framework with timber walls and the roof was a 22,500 gallon water tank. A cantilever awning provided some protection from the elements for the unloading of the coal wagons on the ramp. The water was obtained from the Stratford Canal which was owned by the Great Western Railway. A small sand furnace was also provided just outside the engine shed, but post nationalisation a new sand drier and hopper was provided inside the engine shed. Dry sand was carried in sand boxes on all locomotives. When required this could be directly applied via pipes to the rails adjacent to the locomotive’s driving wheels to aid adhesion. Stratford-upon-Avon's locomotive shed 84E was a sub-shed of Tyseley shed and was situated on the down side of the main line from which it had no direct connection. Access to the shed therefore involved several reversal moves and must have been the bane of the crews' lives. There was no turntable at Stratford and consequently crews had to use the triangular junctions at either the former SMJ station or Bearley, although the latter was the more frequently used.

Known Shed allocations were:
1921
2-4-0T Metro No 627
2-4-0 Stella Nos 3504, 3527, 3535
0-6-0 Dean Goods No 2306

1934
4-4-0 Duke No 3281
4-4-0 Bulldog Nos 3423, 3426
2-6-2T Nos 5108, 5134, 5139, 5154

1948
0-6-0 Nos 2206, 2297
2-6-2T Nos 3151, 3180

1962 Shed Closed on September 1962.

Robert Ferris

Much of the information on this and other pages of Warwickshire Railways is derived from articles or books listed in our 'bibliography'.

Official Great Western Railway photograph of Stratford-on-Avon engine shed shortly after its completition in 1911
Ref: gwrsa1573
Great Western Railway
Official Great Western Railway photograph of Stratford-on-Avon engine shed shortly after its completition in 1911
Close up of the new engine shed and, behind the gas lamp post, the sand bin and associated furnace for drying the sand
Ref: gwrsa1573a
Great Western Railway
Close up of the new engine shed and, behind the gas lamp post, the sand bin and furnace for drying the sand
Great Western Railway 2-6-2T 51xx class large prairie No 5134 standing over the pit in front of Stratford-on-Avon engine shed
Ref: gwrsa1449
FA Wycherley
GWR 2-6-2T 51xx class large prairie No 5134 standing over the pit in front of Stratford-on-Avon engine shed
View of the single road leading to Stratford on Avon's two-road shed after passing the coaling and watering facilities
Ref: gwrsa614
RC Riley
The single road leading to Stratford on Avon's two-road shed after passing the coaling and watering facilities
Close up showing the side of the combined coaling stage and water tank with a wagon placed to coal the next engine
Ref: gwrsa614a
RC Riley
Close up of the combined coaling stage and water tank with a wagon placed to coal the next engine

The combined coal stage and water tank at Stratford-upon-Avon shed, showing the ladder to inspect the tank
Ref: gwrsa1446
J Moss
The combined coal stage and water tank at Stratford-upon-Avon shed, showing the ladder to inspect the tank
View of the East end of Stratford on Avon shed's combined coal stage and water tank in September 1956
Ref: gwrsa1448
J Moss
A view of the East end of Stratford on Avon shed's combined coal stage and water tank in September 1956
Close up showing the drawbridge type door which was lowered horizontally to allow the coal tubs to run out over the tender or bunker
Ref: gwrsa1446a
J Moss
Close up of the drawbridge type door which allowed the coal tubs to run out over the tender or bunker
An oblique view of the coaling stage erected in 1911 on the opening of the North Warwickshire line
Ref: gwrsa3037
JS Doubleday
An oblique view of the coaling stage erected in 1911 on the opening of the North Warwickshire line
View of the water crane adjacent to the coaling stage at Stratford-on-Avon shed in September 1956
Ref: gwrsa1739
PJ Garland
View of the water crane adjacent to the coaling stage at Stratford-on-Avon shed in September 1956

Ex-LMS 0-6-0 4F No 44353 is bearing a 2E shed plate as it stands at the GWR coaling stage for coaling and watering before returning to the SMJ
Ref: gwrsa496
J Hyde
Ex-LMS 0-6-0 4F No 44353 is standing at the GWR coaling stage for coaling and watering before returning to the SMJ
View of Stratford on Avon's two-road shed, storage siding and water column and the coaling station positioned on its approach roads
Ref: gwrsa1499
RS Carpenter
Another view of the two-road shed, storage siding and water column and the coaling station and approach roads
Close up showing locomotives being stabled on the siding to the left of Stratford on Avon shed and the general  facilities available
Ref: gwrsa1499a
RS Carpenter
Close up showing locomotives being stabled on the siding to the left of the shed and the general facilities available
Ex-Great Western Railway 0-4-2T 58xx class No 5813 at the coaling stage at Stratford-on-Avon shed on 28th April 1957
Ref: gwrsa1447
TE Williams
Ex-GWR 0-4-2T 58xx class No 5813 at the coaling stage at Stratford-on-Avon shed on 28th April 1957
British Railways built 2-6-2T 5101 class large prairie No 4161 standing in front of the engine shed on 20th September 1958
Ref: gwrsa1456
G England
British Railways built 2-6-2T 5101 class large prairie No 4161 standing in front of the engine shed

British Railways 2-10-0 Standard Class 9F No 92223 is seen standing dead outside Stratford on Avon shed on 16th August 1958
Ref: gwrsa1553
B Morrison
British Railways 2-10-0 Standard Class 9F No 92223 is seen standing dead outside Stratford on Avon shed
View of the west elevation of Stratford on Avon Shed in June 1965 almost three years after closure in September 1962
Ref: gwrsa1450
RS Carpenter
View of the west elevation of the shed in June 1965 almost three years after closure in September 1962
The combined coal stage and water tank at Stratford-upon-Avon shed, showing the ladder to inspect the tank
Ref: gwrsa1451
RS Carpenter
View of the front of Stratford on Avon Shed seen in June 1965 almost three years after closure in September 1962
Ex-GWR 2-8-0 No 2879 stands in front of the shed adjacent to the water column on 16th August 1959
Ref: gwrsa3182
G England
Ex-GWR 2-8-0 No 2879 stands in front of the shed adjacent to the water column on 16th August 1959
A 1920 schematic plan of Stratford on Avon showing the rebuilt station and the third engine shed built at Strtatford on Avon
Ref: gwrsa3183
G England
Ex-GWR 2-6-0 No 6338 stands in front of the shed alongside Austerity No 90483 on 5th January 1960

Ex-GWR 2-8-0 No 2807 stands fully coaled and watered outside Stratford on Avon shed shed in July 1960
Ref: gwrsa3195
LC Jacks
Ex-GWR 2-8-0 No 2807 stands fully coaled and watered outside Stratford on Avon shed shed in July 1960

GWR Railcar No 4 is seen standing on one of the direct access roads in to Tyseley Repair workshops as it has maintenance undertaken
Ref: gwrsa320
GWR Official Documentation
The GWR Rule Book, produced in January 1933, requiring staff to take proper care of themselves and others

Stratford on Avon Station (76) Stratford on Avon Station - Locomotives (60) Stratford on Avon Shed (22) John Davies - Stratford on Avon Fireman