·  LMS  ·  GWR  ·  LNER  ·  Misc  ·  Stations  ·  What's New  ·  Video  ·  Guestbook  ·  About

Bedworth Station

LMS Route: Nuneaton to Leamington

The first Bedworth station was built by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) and opened on 12th September 1850 together with the other stations on the Coventry to Nuneaton Line. The station had from the outset a small goods yard with goods shed built which remained more or less the same over the next one hundred years. The station was accessed from Bulkington Road, via a ramped pathway to the down (Nuneaton) platform and via a roadway to the up (Coventry) Platform, the latter also serving as access to the goods yard. At some point at the turn of the 20th century a siding was constructed at the rear of the yard in parallel with a siding constructed for Bedworth Brick Works. This siding was primarily used by coal merchants to serve the local population. The Bedworth Brick Works siding was used both to provide coal for the ovens as well as to transport the bricks to clients outside of Bedworth. The goods shed, which was opened at the same time as the passenger station, remained in place for over one hundred years but at some point in the 1950s was demolished as is evident in most of the photographs seen below. The initial two sidings ran parallel with the main running line, one through the goods shed the other between this siding and the running lines. This siding was later shortened apparently undertaken to accommodate a loading dock. When the goods shed was built a small booking clerk's office was also provided (see 'lnwrb3258'). The structure was built as a 'lean-to' against the goods shed. Business was obviously good as it later enlarged (see 'lnwrb3269'). The shortening of the siding (compare 'lnwrb3274' with 'lnwrb3275') was apparently undertaken to accommodate a loading dock.

The passenger building was completely rebuilt sometime between 1912 and 1923 as indicated by examining the 1912 edition of the OS map of the station (see 'lnwrb3274') and the 1923 edition of the OS map (see 'lnwrb3275'). The original building was an attractive structure similar in basic concept to many others within Warwickshire (but not on the Coventry to Nuneaton line). Whereas the original structure was built using timber the replacement station was built with brick and was, in the authors opinion, a more utilitarian structure but because of its large windows it wasn't too unattractive. The second structure was built on the site of the first but slightly nearer to Nuneaton. On 18th January 1965 British Railways (BR) withdrew passenger services from the line and closed Bedworth station, along with all of the other intermediate stations on the line. The Handbook of Railway Stations records that the station was accessible to both LNWR and MR clients, with the former having the full range of services available. These are recorded as: Goods traffic; Passenger and Parcels traffic; Furniture Vans, Carriages, Portable Engines, and Machines on Wheels; Live Stock; Horse boxes and Prize Cattle Vans; Carriages by Passenger Trains. A 1 ton 5 Cwt crane was available at the goods yard (probably inside the goods shed). A client of the Midland Railway could make use of the services offered to LNWR clients with the exception of Horse boxes and Prize Cattle Vans and Carriages by Passenger Trains.

Reg Kimber writes, 'Bedworth Station will perhaps be best remembered as the station which was being modernised at the time its closure was being announced. When the local press carried the first news of British Railways' plans to end passenger services on the line, workmen were rebuilding the platforms. On the Nuneaton side of the station was a yard which not only handled freight for the town itself but which also served a near by brickworks. The local pits were the main source of employment in the area in the 19th century and miner's excursions were frequently run from Bedworth. On Whit Tuesday in 1883, for instance, the owners of Charity Colliery ran an excursion for their employees and friends, the destination being London and the fare four shillings (20 New Pence). Whilst on the subject of fares, on the opening day of the railway the fare from Bedworth to Coventry was sixpence (2½ New Pence) First Class, fourpence Second Class and threepence (thruppence) Third Class'.

BR resumed passenger services on the line in 1987 and reopened Bedworth station in 1988. The official opening was on 10th May 1988 and normal passenger services operated from 16th May 1988. The rebuilt station, now the third incarnation, was constructed on the site of the original two buildings, and was built with platforms long enough to hold a three coach train. The construction cost in 1988 was £200,000 with half of the cost being met by Warwickshire County Council and Nuneaton and Bedworth Council.

Views of the original Bedworth Station

Looking to Nuneaton showing the station's original building on the up platform with the goods yard on the right
Ref: lnwrb30
Postcard
Looking to Nuneaton showing the station's original building on the up platform with the goods yard on the right
Close up showing the original main station building with the goods shed on the left and in between the two, the exit for passengers
Ref: lnwrb30a
Postcard
Close up of the original main station with the goods shed on the left and in between the two, the exit for passengers
Close up showing Bedworth station's goods yard and sidings together with various other buildings located to the side of the station
Ref: lnwrb30b
Postcard
Close up of the station's goods yard and sidings plus other buildings located to the side of the station
Staff pose for the camera in front of the station's original main building which was situated on the down platform
Ref: lnwrb3260
LNWR Society
Staff pose for the camera in front of the station's original main building which was situated on the down platform
Bedworth Station Goods Shed staff pose in front of the dispatch office which 'leant' against the goods shed wall
Ref: lnwrb3258
LNWR Society
Bedworth Station Goods Shed staff pose in front of the dispatch office which 'leant' against the goods shed wall

Five more members of Bedworth Station's staff pose for the camera sometime before World War One
Ref: lnwrb3267
P Lee
Five more members of Bedworth Station's staff pose for the camera sometime before World War One
LNWR Webb 0-8-0 'B' four-cylinder Compound No 2557 is seen posed with shunters and other yard staff
Ref: lnwrb3268
G Webster
LNWR 0-8-0 'B' four-cylinder Compound No 2557 is seen posed with shunters and other goods yard staff
Bedworth's station master and draymen pose for a publicity photograph with a large delivery of Ale
Ref: lnwrb3269
LNWR Gazette
Bedworth's station master and draymen pose for a publicity photograph with a large delivery of Ale

Views of the Second Bedworth Station

xxx
Ref: lnwrb3262
REG Read
An external view of Bedworth Station's second and much larger brick built main building seen in June 1951
A Diesel Multiple Unit departs from Bedworth station in January 1965 shortly before its closure
Ref: lnwrb3272
G Edmands
A Diesel Multiple Unit departs from Bedworth station shortly before its closure on 18th January 1965
Looking along the up platform towards Nuneaton with the Signal Cabin in the distance on the right
Ref: lnwrb3263
REG Read
Looking along the up platform towards Nuneaton with Bedworth Station Signal Cabin in the distance on the right
Close up showing the station's replacement passenger waiting rooms and porters office on the down platform
Ref: lnwrb3263a
REG Read
Close up showing the station's replacement passenger waiting rooms and porters office on the down platform
xxx
Ref: lnwrb3263b
REG Read
Close up of the station's main building located on the up platform used for passengers travelling towards Coventry

View looking northward, towards Nuneaton showing the goods shed now demolished but coal wagons stabled on the back siding
Ref: lnwrb3256
B Brooksbank
Looking towards Nuneaton showing the goods shed now demolished but coal wagons stabled on the back siding
Looking towards Nuneaton, this view shows the substantial passenger facilities on the down platform circa 1960s
Ref: lnwrb28
P Lee
Looking towards Nuneaton, this view shows the substantial passenger facilities on the down platform
Looking from the down platform towards the main station building on the up platform with Bulkington Road bridge in the distance
Ref: lnwrb27
P Lee
Looking from the down platform towards the main building with Bulkington Road bridge in the distance
View showing Bedworth's  main passenger building situated on the up platform whilst on the left is the main approach to the station
Ref: lnwrb25
P Lee
Bedworth's main building situated on the up platform whilst on the left is the main approach to the station
Looking towards Coventry from the Nuneaton end of Bedworth station's up platform with the down platform building on the right
Ref: lnwrb29
P Lee
Looking to Coventry from the Nuneaton end of the station's up platform with the down platform building on the right

Looking from Bulkington Road bridge down the ramped pathway to the down platform of Bedworth Station
Ref: lnwrb3270
P Lee
Looking from Bulkington Road bridge down the ramped pathway to the down platform of Bedworth Station
The down platform's booking hall and office situated at the bottom of the ramp from Bulkington Road
Ref: lnwrb24
G Edmands
The down platform's booking hall and office situated at the bottom of the ramp from Bulkington Road
View of one Bedworth station's British Railways 'Totem' station name boards that were fitted to lampposts from 1954 onwards
Ref: lnwrb26
Peter Lee
One of Bedworth Station's BR 'Totem' station name boards that were fitted to lampposts from 1954 onwards
Looking towards Nuneaton along the down platform a few days prior to the closure of the station in January 1965
Ref: lnwrb3271
G Edmands
Looking towards Nuneaton along the down platform a few days prior to the closure of the station in January 1965
An overgrown and abandoned Bedworth station is seen on 13th June 1966 some eighteen months after closure
Ref: lnwrb3259
N Mundy
An overgrown and abandoned Bedworth station is seen on 13th June 1966 some eighteen months after closure

Locomotives and trains seen at or near Bedworth Station

British Railways Standard Class 4 4-6-0 No 75013 is seen approaching the station on the 5:05pm Coventry to Nuneaton local service
Ref: lnwrb2090
M Mensing
BR Standard Class 4 4-6-0 No 75013 approaches the station on the 5:05pm Coventry to Nuneaton local service
Ex-LMS Class 5 2-6-0 No 42981 is seen approaching the station whilst at the head of a Permanent Way train made up of 'Catfish' wagons
Ref: lnwrb2091
M Mensing
Ex-LMS Class 6P5F 2-6-0 No 42981 approaches the station whilst at the head of a Permanent Way train
BR Standard Class 4 4-6-0 No 75035 is seen running light engine returning to Nuneaton shed
Ref: lnwrb3255
R Blencowe
BR Standard Class 4 4-6-0 No 75035 is seen running light engine returning to Nuneaton shed
Ex-LMS 8F 2-8-0 No 48016 is seen passing through Bedworth on a mixed freight service on 3rd May 1963
Ref: lnwrb3257
R Blencowe
Ex-LMS 8F 2-8-0 No 48016 is seen passing through Bedworth on a mixed freight service on 3rd May 1963
British Railways built 2MT 2-6-0 No 46447 passes through Bedworth with a train for Coventry and Leamington on 3rd May 1963
Ref: lnwrb3264
R Blencowe
BR built 2MT 2-6-0 No 46447 passes through Bedworth with a train for Coventry and Leamington on 3rd May 1963

Ex-LMS 5MT 4-6-0 No 44938 heads a passenger express through Bedworth on Friday 3rd May 1963
Ref: lnwrb3265
RS Carpenter
Ex-LMS 5MT 4-6-0 No 44938 heads a passenger express through Bedworth on Friday 3rd May 1963
BR Standard 4 4-6-0 No 75052 passes through Bedworth station at the head of an express passenger service on 3rd May 1963
Ref: lnwrb3266
R Blencowe
BR Standard 4 4-6-0 No 75052 passes through Bedworth at the head of an express passenger service
Ex-LMS 6P5F 2-6-0 No 42971, having just passed through Bedworth, is seen on a southbound freight
Ref: lnwrb3273
M Mensing
Ex-LMS 6P5F 2-6-0 No 42971, having just passed through Bedworth, is seen on a southbound freight
Looking north towards Nuneaton as a DMU local passenger service to Leamington Avenue stops in the station
Ref: lnwrb3277
Postcard
Looking towards Nuneaton as a DMU local passenger service to Leamington Avenue stops in the station

An 1886 Ordnance Survey Map showing Bedworth Station, its Goods Yard and Shed in its original layout
Ref: lnwrb3276
National Library of Scotland
An 1886 Ordnance Survey Map showing Bedworth Station, its Goods Yard and Shed in its original layout
A 1902 OS Map of Bedworth Station, Goods Yard, Shed and new siding in the yard and to Bedworth Brick Works
Ref: lnwrb3261
National Library of Scotland
A 1902 OS Map of Bedworth Station, Goods Yard, Shed and new siding in the yard and to Bedworth Brick Works
A  1912 OS Map of Bedworth Station, Goods Yard, Shed and new siding in the yard and to Bedworth Brick Works
Ref: lnwrb3274
National Library of Scotland
A 1912 OS Map of Bedworth Station, Goods Yard, Shed and new siding in the yard and to Bedworth Brick Works
A  1923 OS Map of Bedworth Station, Goods Yard, Shed the two sidings but no longer  Bedworth Brick Works
Ref: lnwrb3275
National Library of Scotland
A 1923 OS Map of Bedworth Station, Goods Yard, Shed the two sidings but no longer Bedworth Brick Works
LNWR trackplan of Newdigate Colliery Sidings at Bedworth on the Nuneaton to Leamington line
Ref: lnwr_track3371
B Hickman
LNWR trackplan of Newdigate Colliery Sidings at Bedworth on the Nuneaton to Leamington line

LNWR trackplan of Exhall Colliery & Brickworks Ltd at Bedworth on the Nuneaton to Leamington line
Ref: lnwr_track3375
B Hickman
LNWR trackplan of Exhall Colliery & Brickworks Ltd at Bedworth on the Nuneaton to Leamington line