Adderley Park Station
Adderley Park station was opened on 1st August 1860, a small
two-platform on the outskirts of the centre of Birmingham and was used by
passengers to access local factories as well as local residents travelling to
Birmingham. The passenger platforms were located to the east of Bordesley Green
Road, which was crossed the line by overbridge. Access to the platforms was via
steps from the roadway with a booking office being provided on each platform.
The platform on the Birmingham bound side is backed by the approach to Adderley
Park goods yard, a once busy and thriving yard handling considerable freight
from this area of heavy industry. However for many years its main function was
to collect and to inspect tickets from all trains travelling in to New Street.
The reason being was that New Street was an open station which had no ticket
barriers and to prevent fraud this process was handled at the last stations
before New Street. Monument Lane on the Stour Valley line to Wolverhampton
performed the equivalent function for trains from the North. In 1895 there were
nine down trains and twelve up trains calling at the station. By 1944 the
number had increased to fourteen trains in each direction. The station's signal
cabin closed on 4th June 1966 after the commissioning of New Street Power Box.
A second but smaller signal cabin, Adderley Park No 2, existed at the western
end of the sidings on the up side but had removed by 1929.
Goods traffic was first handled in 1877, and the yard,
marshalling sidings, and carriage sidings were to the east of Bordesley Green
Road. Access to the sidings and yard was off the up goods loop, which ran from
Grand Junction (where the MR/LNWR routes into New Street station converge) to
Adderley Park. Factories in the area included Morris Commercial and Arthur
Holdens Paint, the finely detailed frontage of which still survives. The goods
yard was home to many coal merchants whose carts could be seen clattering up
the granite sett paved road from the the yard to Bordesley Green Road. In
addition to the marshalling sidings which accommodated 246 wagons and the coal
yard which accommodated a further 60 wagons, there were a number of private
sidings. These included the Garrison Farm Brickworks (later Midland Brickworks)
and Adderley Park Brick Works both being accessed off the up goods loop.
However the sidings serving Brown Marshall's Britannia Railway Carriage Works,
once one of the leading carriage and wagon manufacturers in the country,
actually came off the up main itself. The site later passed on to Wolsey Motors
and then to Austin Motors. The up loopline was eventually converted into a
bidirectional siding, a facing lead being laid into the down main.
Adderley Park Station buildings
Maps showing the layouts of Adderley Park station and
1920 and 1921 Aerial Views
1930 Aerial Views
1931 Aerial Views
1934 Aerial Views