GWR Route: Banbury to Wolverhampton
Leamington South Junction: lnwrrm3963
Two Great Western Railway internal letters to Mr SF Johnson
(Birmingham Divisional Superintendent of the line based at Snow Hill Station)
about the proposed carriage sidings at Leamington.
The first letter dated 18th January 1909 is from Mr J
Morris (Superintendent of the line at Paddington). This gives an estimated cost
of the five carriage sidings (£2,112), which is broken down as
£1.912 for the Engineering Department and £100 for the Signalling
Department (revealing an error in the formula on the spreadsheet?). The letter
confirms that the purpose was for these carriage sidings to provide storage for
the carriages currently held on the lines in the centre of Leamington station.
These lines were required as additional running lines. The total capacity of
the new carriage sidings was fifty-six (fifty foot long) coaches.
The second letter dated 6th February 1909 is from Mr Lionel
R Wood of the Divisional (Civil) Engineering Department based at Stafford Road,
Wolverhampton. It appears that the estimate given on 18th January was for five
dead end sidings, which meant locomotives could not be released from the far
end of the sidings after drawing coaches into them. A question had been asked
about the cost of using sector tables to release the locomotives
and Mr Wood was awaiting information from the Chief Mechanical Engineers
Department. One of these sector tables was eventually installed at Snow Hill
Station in 1912 (see
gwr/birminghamsnowhill.htm#sector), but by the end of
February further correspondence reveals that they had been ruled out for
Leamington due to their cost (about £1,100 each), plus the limitation
that although each sector table had three roads on them, they could only work
two lines, meaning four sector tables would be required.