GWR Route: Banbury to Wolverhampton
Moor Street Station: gwrms1731
Winter 1968, looking south from the island platform along
the viaduct towards Bordesley. This Great Western Railway type 27C signal box
stood between the main lines and the tracks into Moor Street terminus station.
It had a 118 lever at 4 inch centres in a three bar horizontal tappet frame.
This particular signal box was the second signal box at Moor Street. It opened
on 7th September 1913, replacing a slightly smaller type 27C signal box, with a
61 lever, three bar horizontal tappet frame, which had been opened on 27th June
1909, but was found to have insufficient lever capacity once the goods yard
area was extended. This original signal box was re-erected at Foxhall Junction,
Didcot, where with a 45 lever frame recovered from Hackney, it opened on 27th
November 1915. Sixteen years later this signal box was moved again to
The new signal box at Moor Street had a narrow brick base
54 feet long by 12 feet wide, an internal staircase and six windows on each
side providing natural light to the ground floor locking room (the date that
these windows were bricked up is not known). The operating floor was 13 feet, 6
inches above rail level and was unusual in that it over-hung the brick base.
The operating room walls were clad with horizontal wooden boards and it had a
tiled hipped roof with five torpedo vents on the ridge and two stove pipe
flues. Standard Great Western railway three-up two-down windows were provided
all the way round (excepting where the two stoves were positioned) The frame
was converted to a five bar vertical tappet frame on 14th December 1943 and the
signal box was finally closed on 1st September 1969, eighteen months after the
Snow Hill route had closed.