GWR Route: Banbury to Wolverhampton
Soho and Winson Green: gwrsw4025
Internal memo recommending a six month extension to the
contract period for construction of the Soho and Winson Green Goods Warehouse.
The original contract for the construction of the Soho & Winson Green goods
depot (including the transit shed and goods warehouse), plus the construction
of the pilot line to Hockley was awarded to Flecther and Co (Contractors) Ltd
for completion in August 1932. The extension was due to a change in the
foundation requirements. 175,000 cubic yards of earth had to be excavated and
removed and four hundred reinforced concrete piles of the Wests Rotinoff
design driven to an average depth of fifteen feet were needed to stabilise the
soft ground at the site. The Wests Rotinoff Piling and Construction
Companys standard design comprised a series of pre-cast hollow concrete
units, which were extended as they were driven to the required depth. Once in
place the core would be inspected before being filled with concrete.
The final sentence in the memo relates to this project
being financed from the Governments Development (Loan guarantees and
Grants) Act - 1929. This provided support for national infrastructure projects
as a means of economic stimulus and employment during the great depression.
Individual projects had to be approved in advance for completion within an
agreed financial period.