Pebworth Halt was authorised on 29th April 1937 as a simple
two-platform facility built to a standard Great Western Railway design. The
estimated cost was £430 and the halt was opened on 6th September 1937.
Each platform was of timber construction, 150 foot long by 8 foot wide, with a
basic timber open doorway shelter type waiting room on each platform. A low
pressure oil lamp was provided in each of the shelters and one paraffin vapour
lamp lite each platform. A small standard corrugated steel oil hut was provided
at the end of the platform ramp. The Halt was built on an embankment and
passenger access to the platforms was via flights of wooden steps. It was not
inspected by the Board of Trade until 26th Nobvember 1946 some nine years after
it had opened. In the previous September the halt had entrained 876 passengers.
Pebworth Halt remained open until 3rd January 1966, when it was closed with
other stations south of Stratford upon Avon.
This was the second station in the near vicinity as 'Broad
Marston Halte' had existed for a brief time from 17th October 1904 to 14th July
1916. This earlier station operated for a similar period of time as 'Evesham
Crossing' and 'Clifford Chambers' Haltes, all being closed by wartime (First
World War) emergency measures. This Halt was located 352 yards north of where
Pebworth Halt was located and consisted of a 100 foot long platform 6 inches
above rail height level (similar to that seen at 'Evesham Crossing'). There was no shelter,
but nameboards and lamps were provided. Originally it had only one platform,
but a second identical platform was added on the up side when the branch was
doubled on 28th April 1907 (at a cost of £75). No known photographs exist
of the earlier station. This Halt, and Pebworth Halt, came under the control of
the Station Master at Long Marston.
Much of the information on this and other pages of
Warwickshire Railways is derived from articles or books listed in our 'bibliography'.