Keith Turton's Private Owner wagon's in Warwickshire
Photograph Reference: kt622
Lockhurst Lane Co-operative Society Ltd, Foleshill, Private
Owner Wagon No 15.
LOCKHURST LANE CO-OP
The Lockhurst Lane Co-op was one of many in industrial areas
which were founded virtually in the canteen of a local mill, factory or even a
railway engine shed. It's origins date back to 1832 in the ribbon trade,
pre-dating the generally recognised birth of the Co-operative Movement in
Rochdale by 12 years. It survived independently till 1968 when it was merged
with that of Coventry.
Four wagons were purchased from the Gloucester RC&WCo in
1912. Each wagon measured 15'6" x 6'11" x 4'0" with seven planks and side
doors, painted chocolate with white letters shaded black and black vertical
ironwork. They were registered by the Midland Railway These are the only wagons
known to have been operated by the Co-op, despite the running number (the
series ran from 15 to 18).
Although the Co-op was in close proximity to the
Warwickshire coalfield pits around Coventry and Nuneaton, the preferred source
was the Arley Colliery, between Nuneaton and Washwood Heath on the Midland