The following is a list of MR stations, junctions, goods
depots, etc, which at one time were part of the County of Warwickshire. This
includes stations such as the L&NWR's and Midland Railway's stations in
Tamworth which, when these stations were first built, were part of Warwickshire
but later in 1889 ceded to Staffordshire. The list also includes a number of
stations from towns and villages which had previously been part of other
counties such as Staffordshire and Worcestershire but after being absorbed into
the City of Birmingham also became part of the County of Warwickshire. Examples
include Kings Norton, Bournville, Barnt Green, etc on the Midland Railway's
line to Gloucester. Finally a small number of stations from other counties
which were never part of Warwickshire have been included where their inclusion
completes a route. One example being the Midland Railway's Birmingham to
Evesham route where Evesham, Harvington, Redditch and Alvechurch have been
included to complete all stations along the line. Where a station was known by
more than one name we have endeavoured to list them separately but linked both
to the same station page. As this information is currently incomplete the list
will be updated when we find the information. If you can help us with
information which can fill in the gaps we would be very appreciative.
|Stations, Junctions, Goods
|Bidford on Avon
||Closed 19th February 1917. Re-opens 1st January 1919.
Last passenger train 16th June 1947. Station finally closed 23rd May 1949.
||Binton station opened on 22nd February 1885 with the
last passenger train running on 16th June 1947 before final closure on 23rd May
1949. Goods traffic ceased in 1960 with the closure of the line between
Stratford upon Avon and Broom.
||No direct local access. The station was used by
passengers and goods transiting from the Midland Railway's Birmingham to
Evesham line and the SMJ's line to Stratford upon Avon (or vice versa) which
opened on 1st November 1880. Closed 17th September 1963. No local Goods
facilities were provided.
||Opened as Warwick Road for both passenger and goods
services on 1st June 1871 but closed to passengers on 31st July 1877. A ground
frame, 'Burton Hill' opened in August 1898 controlling several sidings but the
public siding was not opened until 1st December 1909. Closed to EHLR traffic on
27th January 1925. The public siding closed on 11th November 1963.
||Goods traffic only. Closed?
||Ettington station opened on 1st July 1873 and first
closed on 1st August 1877. The station then reopened on 22nd February 1885
before finally closing for passengers on 7th April 1952. Closed forgoods
traffic on 11th November 1963.
||Fenny Compton station (SMJ) opened in 1873 and closed
to passengers in 1952.
||Kineton station opened on 1st June 1871 as the
temporary terminus for the Blisworth - Kineton route. On 1st July 1873 the line
to Stratford upon Avon was opened but services were suspended from 31st July
1877 until 22nd March 1885. Passenger services at Kineton were finally
withdrawn on 7th April 1952 and goods services on the 11th November 1963.
|North End Halt
||North End, thought to have been of timber framed
construction, was another short lived station, opening on 1st June 1871 and
closing 31st July 1877 when passenger services between Blisworth and Stratford
upon Avon were suspended.
||Stratford Old Town station, opened on 1st July 1873,
was built by the Stratford-upon-Avon and Midland Junction Railway. The station
closed to passengers on 7th April 1952 due to the close proximity of the GWR
station. The station remained open to freight traffic until 1965.