Birmingham Small Arms (BSA) and Singer Motors:
This photograph appeared in the Great Western Railway
Magazine of June 1933 with the following caption A special train load of
Singer motor cars despatched by Great Western Railway from the firms
Birmingham factory to Victoria and Albert, and Poplar Docks for export.
It shows the private siding on the embankment by the river Cole beside the
Singer Car Factory on the Waverley Road site.
The locomotive is a saddle tank, so is likely to be the
0-4-0ST built by Hudswell Clarke & Co Ltd in July 1918 (Works No 1339) for
Daimler Co Ltd and delivered new to the BSA works at Small Heath. This
locomotive was hired to Singer Cars Ltd after they had acquired part of the
Waverley Road site in 1927.
The covered carriage trucks (telegraphic code PYTHON) seen
here were specifically designed for transporting motor cars in passenger
trains. These were classified as non-passenger coaching stock vehicles, which
on the Great Western Railway were termed Brown vehicles, as their
livery was normally all over brown with yellow or gold lettering. Brown
vehicles had oil axleboxes, vacuum brakes and a wheelbase suitable for running
in passenger trains or in special trains under passenger headcodes at passenger
train speeds. For more details of the covered carriage trucks seen above see