·  LMS  ·  GWR  ·  LNER  ·  Misc  ·  Stations  ·  What's New  ·  Video  ·  Guestbook  ·  About

LMS Route: Nuneaton to Coventry

Industrial Railways - Longford Power Station: misc_indust1478

 Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST 'Coventry Corporation Electric Department No 1' at Longford Generating Station

Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST 'Coventry Corporation Electric Department No 1' is seen at Longford Generating Station circa 1936. The locomotive was built in 1929 - Works No 1942. The locomotive is seen shunting a line of coal wagons in order to discharge the coal which will be taken away to the works by conveyor belt, as seen above the locomotive. There are nine wagons being processed and all were carrying the livery of Jackson from the Coventry area. The nearest wagon is numbered 1103 so it is presumably safe to assume that Jackson's had a very large fleet. John Hyde writes, 'My own negative shows the engine in slightly cleaner condition in 1946 with the owner's name and number quite legible on the side tanks'.

The lineup of wagons is interesting. The first two are lettered U M, which cannot be attached to any known contractor to the gasworks, whose coal contract records (incomplete) are held in the archives of the Coventry Library. That their running numbers are preceded by a zero suggests that they were hired. There are also three wagons from the Swanwick Colliery, which was located on the Midland Railway branch from Pye Bridge to Ambergate in Derbyshire. This company was not a regular supplier to the gasworks, but their presence could be explained that they were delivering a Spot Order, placed at the Birmingham Coal Exchange and which was a very frequent method of obtaining a small supply of a particular coal outside of normal contract arrangements. Further down the line are two coke wagons, apparently recently painted in a very light colour, possibly yellow, sent by a merchant to pick up coke. It is surprising how many yellow wagons existed, for many years in the twentieth century it was the standard colour of the very large fleet of the Barrow Barnsley Collieries in Yorkshire.

Keith Turton

back