Keith Turton's Private Owner wagon's in Warwickshire
Griff Colliery: misc_kt376
Wagon No 1431 is one of a batch of forty delivered in 1905
by Hurst, Nelson of Motherwell. Numbered 1400 to 1439, they were registered by
the Midland Railway. The body colour (suggested as medium grey,but could also
be red) and lettering is not typical of this owner, Hurst Nelson often painted
a wagon in a workshops livery for photographic purposes rather than how they
would have appeared in service and this may be an example.
After the end of the First World War, the colliery acquired
77 surplus open mineral wagons from the Ministry of Munitions. After slight
modifications by local wagon works, they became no's 1801 to 1877 in the Griff
fleet, which in the 1930's numbered some1,400 wagons, of which aroud 400 were
reported as static in colliery sidings, loaded, awaiting customers.