·  LMS  ·  GWR  ·  LNER  ·  Misc  ·  Stations  ·  What's New  ·  Video  ·  Guestbook  ·  About

GWR Route: Moreton-in-Marsh to Shipston-on-Stour

Moreton-in-Marsh Station

Moreton-in-Marsh station was originally the headquarters of the Moreton-in-Marsh to Stratford upon Avon Tramway which opened on 5th September 1826 and was worked by horse drawn single wagons. The arrival of the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway (OW&WR) on 4th June 1853 saw the tramway bisected at an angle with the terminal being isolated by the new railway. Initially it seems that a level crossing was installed enabling tramway wagons to reach their terminus on the far side of the railway. A new connection was later installed on the up side of the OW&WR, but the tramway goods wagons still had to be manhandled across the main line. The original OW&WR station had just the one platform as the line was initially a single line the only two platform passing place between Evesham and Wolvercote Junction being at Charlbury. The second platform was quickly added and was certainly in place by 1858 when the line through Moreton-in-Marsh was doubled. This second platform was built as an island platform and provided a third platform able to receive traffic from the Moreton-in-Marsh to Stratford upon Avon Tramway. Mr Bull's passenger horse-drawn conveyance was therefore able to start and terminate without the dangers inherent in crossing the new railway on the level.

Brunel-type wooden buildings were provided on both platforms, the main building on the down side being a rectangular gabled structure measuring approximately 32 feet by 18 feet. The up side waiting rooms were slightly taller than their counterparts on the opposite platform but of the same general design. Jenkins and Carpenter speculate that the buildings were pre-fabricated or semi prefabricated 'kits' as most OW&WR stations had buildings of the same size and shape. They believed that the main building consisted of just two rooms accessed only from the platform through a pair of doors. There was large open plan booking hall had a counter on the left. A waiting room was on the right (when viewed from the platform) whilst a small projection at the rear contained the ladies waiting room. It appears no public lavatories were made available to the travelling public. In 1872 the GWR started to erect a new set of buildings alongside the original timber structure. The new station building was erected to the south of the original and because of delays in the rebuilding programme the two stood alongside each other for several months.

The new down platform structure was of a standard GWR hip-roofed design, said to be one of the earliest examples of its type. It had three internal divisions; a slightly recessed central portion with both front and rear entrances used as the booking hall; a ticket office and a ladies waiting room. An extension, accommodating additional staff and parcels facilities was added in 1874, a few months after the main building had been completed. This time a ladies and Gentlemens WC was provided, accommodated in a small block projecting at the northern end of the building. To protect passengers from inclement weather a large canopy stretching the full width of the building, and deep enough to reach the platform edge, was provided. The new station building was built using whitish-yellow bricks, with red brick quoins and window surrounds. Vitrified black bricks provided further decoration, resulting in what was to many, a pleasing structure. The opposite platform retained its original structure but photographic evidence indicates it too was extended. The GWR passenger footbridge appears on the 1900 Ordnance Survey map so clearly some time during the 1890s this facility was added. The goods yard was provided with a timber Brunel designed goods shed located to the south of the down platform. To the north of the same platform a loading dock was provided, both facilities being served by a dedicated siding. On the up side to the north of the up platform a siding was installed to serve the Creamery which was founded in the late 19th century. A loading platform was erected in 1918 to better assist in the transfer of full milk churns. Robert Ferris writes, 'the 1907 work on Moreton-in-Marsh station is detailed as: Extension of both platforms, provision of a ladies waiting room on the up side and of a porters' room and enlargement of the booking office. Two additional sidings to be laid in and the down refuge siding extended. [The Winter 1927 STT (this is the earliest one I have) and all my subsequent STTs identify this siding as being capable of holding 54 wagons plus engine and brake van.]'.

The upgrading of the branch line to Shipston-on-Stour in 1889 saw passenger services being introduced on the branch although this was made available by using a mixed trains service, where passenger and goods traffic are handled by the same train. Passenger services only lasted just forty years and which saw the limited passenger facilities at Moreton-in-Marsh for the branch being taken over solely for the use of up passenger traffic. Goods traffic however remained for thirty years and the exchange sidings sited adjacent to the branch platform remained in use although often as much for non-branch traffic as for wagons accessing the branch. The closure of goods traffic to Shipston-on-Stour in 1960 also coincided with a major down turn in goods traffic across the railway network and Moreton-in-Marsh's goods facilities was soon reduced. The Tramway terminus which had become the goods yard was sold off to become the site for a supermarket although the branch's exchange sidings remained as a single truncated engineer's siding.

External view of Moreton-in-Marsh Station

View of the original 1853 Moreton-in-Marsh station built by the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway
Ref: gwrmm3068
M Turner
View of the original 1853 Moreton-in-Marsh station built by the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway
Close up showing the main building accommodating the booking hall and station masters' office
Ref: gwrmm3068a
M Turner
Close up showing the main building accommodating the booking hall and station masters' office
View of Moreton-in-Marsh's main station building located on the down side of the railway circa 1890s
Ref: gwrmm3058
Lens of Sutton
View of Moreton-in-Marsh's main station building located on the down side of the railway circa 1890s
Close up showing the main station building with only a short canopy protecting the entrance to the booking hall
Ref: gwrmm3058a
Lens of Sutton
Close up showing the main station building with only a short canopy protecting the entrance to the booking hall
A general view of the access road to both the main passenger buildings and goods facilities
Ref: gwrmm979
Lens of Sutton
A general view of the wide access road to both the main passenger buildings and goods facilities

This close up shows the unusual and intricate porch added to the main passenger structure after originally built
Ref: gwrmm979a
Lens of Sutton
This close up shows the unusual and intricate porch added to the main passenger structure after originally built

Platform views of Moreton-in-Marsh station

The station's new buildings being built in 1872-3 with a PW gang putting the finishing touches to the trackwork
Ref: gwrmm999
Lens of Sutton
The station's new buildings being built in 1872-3 with a PW gang putting the finishing touches to the trackwork
Close up showing the main station building on the down platform after the work had been completed in 1873
Ref: gwrmm999a
Lens of Sutton
Close up showing the main station building on the down platform after the work had been completed in 1873
Station staff, shunting horse and the PW gang with the branch train standing in the background
Ref: gwrmm989
Mr Keen
Moreton-in-Marsh's station staff, shunting horse and the PW gang with the branch train standing in the background
A gang of men from the GWR's Civil Engineering Department are working on both the platform and track bed
Ref: gwrmm3069
Lens of Sutton
A gang of men from the GWR's Civil Engineering Department working on both the platform and track bed
Looking towards Worcester from the Oxford end of the down platform with a substantial number of milk churns standing on the platform
Ref: gwrmm994
C Gilbert
Looking towards Worcester with a substantial number of milk churns standing on the down platform

Close up showing the timber framed building located on the up platform which after 1929 was only used by Oxford bound passengers
Ref: gwrmm994a
C Gilbert
Close up of the up platform building which after 1929 was only used by Oxford bound passengers
This close up shows some of the different  features seen on the up platform including the sculptured fascia board and arched topped gas lamppost
Ref: gwrmm975a
PJ Garland
Close up of a few features on the up platform including the sculptured fascia board and arched topped gas lamppost
Looking from the down platform towards Worcester with the main station building on the left and the passenger footbridge in the distance
Ref: gwrmm986
PJ Garland
Looking along the down platform towards Worcester with the station's main passenger building on the left
Close up of the main station building showing the entrance to the station master's office and luggage carts on the platform
Ref: gwrmm986a
PJ Garland
Close up of the main building showing the entrance to the station master's office and luggage carts on the platform
Close up showing the up platform 'Brunel' type waiting room on the station's island platform
Ref: gwrmm986b
PJ Garland
Close up showing the up platform's 'Brunel' type timber waiting room on the station's island platform

Looking towards Worcester with the Fosse Way road bridge in the distance with the original Tramway terminus on the left
Ref: gwrmm977
PJ Garland
Looking north with the Fosse Way road bridge in the distance with the original Tramway terminus on the left
Looking towards Worcester viewed from the passenger footbridge with the Creamery building on the right and goods yard on the left
Ref: gwrmm991
Lens of Sutton
Looking towards Worcester viewed from the passenger footbridge with the Creamery building on the right
A 1930s view looking across from the up platform to the station's main brick built building on the down platform
Ref: gwrmm988
Lens of Sutton
A 1930s view looking across from the up platform to the station's main brick built building on the down platform
Looking towards Oxford from the footbridge with the tramway interchange sidings on the right being used as carriage sidings
Ref: gwrmm990
Lens of Sutton
Looking towards Oxford from the passenger footbridge with the tramway interchange sidings on the right

Looking north along the up platform towards Worcester with the tramway offices and workshops to the left
Ref: gwrmm3070
Lens of Sutton
Looking north along the up platform towards Worcester with the tramway offices and workshops to the left

Moreton-in-Marsh's two distinctive types of GWR architecture are visible in this view of the station
Ref: gwrmm3077
Lens of Sutton
Moreton-in-Marsh's two distinctive types of GWR architecture are visible in this view of the station
The up platform building which was thought to have been extended in 1872-3 when the station was modernised
Ref: gwrmm3077a
Lens of Sutton
The up platform's waiting room thought to have been extended in 1872-3 when the station was modernised
View of the down main starter, fitted with a central pivoted arm, situated between the up and down running lines
Ref: gwrmm998
PJ Garland
View of the down main starter, fitted with a central pivoted arm, situated between the up and down running lines

Morton-in-Marsh Goods and Milk Traffic Facilities

An unidentified GWR 0-6-0 'Dean Goods' locomotive is seen shunting wagons into the goods shed
Ref: gwrmm980
AWV Mace
An unidentified GWR 0-6-0 'Dean Goods' locomotive is seen shunting wagons into the goods shed
Looking towards Oxford Street bridge with the signal box on the left and the Brunel designed goods shed on the right
Ref: gwrmm976
JH Moss
Looking towards Oxford Street bridge with the signal box on the left and the goods shed on the right
Close up showing the Brunelian goods shed in greater detail including the central trasit area and twin doors at either end
Ref: gwrmm976a
JH Moss
Close up showing the goods shed in more detail including the central transit area and the road and rail entrances

Looking south from the Fosse Way road bridge with the Creamery on the left and the goods yard on the right
Ref: gwrmm987
Lens of Sutton
Looking south from the Fosse Way road bridge with the Creamery on the left and the goods yard on the right
Close up showing the inspection pit located in the centre of the tracks at the end of the down platform
Ref: gwrmm991a
Lens of Sutton
Close up showing the inspection pit located in the centre of the tracks at the end of the down platform

Close up of Moreton-in-Marsh's milk pasteurisation and bottling plant which was established in 1889
Ref: gwrmm991b
Lens of Sutton
Close up of Moreton-in-Marsh's milk pasteurisation and bottling plant which was established in 1889
Close up of three empty Great Western Railway Siphons standing in Moreton-in-Marsh's creamery
Ref: gwrmm987a
Lens of Sutton
Close up of three empty Great Western Railway Siphons standing in Moreton-in-Marsh's creamery
Close up showing the Worcester end of the down platform and the landing dock located to the right
Ref: gwrmm987b
Lens of Sutton
Close up showing the Worcester end of the down platform and the landing dock located to the right
Two empty Milk tank wagons standing in the siding of Moreton-in-Marsh's Creamery ready to be loaded
Ref: gwrmm995
JH Russell
Two empty Milk tank wagons standing in the siding of Moreton-in-Marsh's Creamery ready to be loaded
A six-wheel milk tank wagon stands in the siding alongside the Creamery with milk churns in the goods bay
Ref: gwrmm1000
JH Russell
A six-wheel milk tank wagon stands in the siding alongside the Creamery with milk churns in the goods bay

View of the original 1853 Moreton-in-Marsh station built by the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway
Ref: gwrmm3088
HF Wheeler
Ex-GWR Brake Van W56361, the designated branch brake van at the time, is seen on 31st August 1952

Aerial views of Moreton-in-Marsh station

An aerial view of Moreton-in-Marsh showing the station layout with the original tramway buildings at the bottom of the photograph
Ref: gwrmm982
Aerofilms
An aerial view of Moreton-in-Marsh showing the station layout with the original tramway buildings
Close up showing the main station building, the exchange sidings, the cattle pens and the goods shed
Ref: gwrmm982a
Aerofilms
Close up showing the main station building, the exchange sidings, the cattle pens and the goods shed
Close up showing the Fosse Way with the tramway offices and workshops immediately adjacent
Ref: gwrmm982b
Aerofilms
Close up showing the Fosse Way bridge with the tramway offices and workshops immediately adjacent

'Change here for the Shipston-on-Stour Tramway'

The station name board which informed passengers to 'change here for the Shipston-on-Stour Tramway'
Ref: gwrmm996
Railway Magazine
The station name board which informed passengers to 'change here for the Shipston-on-Stour Tramway'
View of the up platform looking towards Worcester with the branch platform and track on the right
Ref: gwrmm975
PJ Garland
View of the up platform looking towards Worcester with the branch platform and track on the right
This close up shows some of the Shipston-on-Stour branch platform with the branch line curving away to the right
Ref: gwrmm975b
PJ Garland
This close up shows some of the Shipston-on-Stour branch platform with the branch line curving away to the right
View of the branch line taken from the platform with Todenham Road level crossing keeper's house in distance
Ref: gwrmm997
JH Russell
The branch line taken from the platform with Todenham Road level crossing keeper's house in distance
Close up of the boarded crossing which formed part of the right of way from the footbridge and across the line
Ref: gwrmm997a
JH Russell
Close up of the boarded crossing which formed part of the right of way from the footbridge and across the line

The original Moreton-in-Marsh to Stratford Tramway terminus buildings which housed offices, workshops, stables
Ref: gwrmm978
RK Cope
The original Moreton-in-Marsh to Stratford Tramway terminus buildings which housed offices, workshops, stables
The original warehouses built from Cotswold stone at the Tramway terminus in Moreton-in-Marsh
Ref: gwrmm3140
GES Parker
The original warehouses built from Cotswold stone at the Tramway terminus in Moreton-in-Marsh

'Heroes of Moreton'

A platoon of Territorial soldiers line up for the photographer on the London-bound platform in August 1914
Ref: gwrmm3138
A Wood
Territorial soldiers line up for their photograph on the London bound platform in August 1914
A number of Territorial soldiers line up for the photographer outside Moreton in Marsh station in August 1914
Ref: gwrmm3139
A Wood
Territorial soldiers line up for their photograph outside Moreton in Marsh station in August 1914

Locomotives seen at or near Moreton-in-Marsh

GWR 0-6-0ST No 47, the Shipston-on-Stour branch locomotive, standing under the water tank at the station
Ref: gwrmm984
Railway Magazine
GWR 0-6-0ST No 47, the Shipston-on-Stour branch locomotive, standing under the water tank at the station
A GWR 0-6-0ST locomotive stands at the station's up platform with express headlamps on the buffer
Ref: gwrmm3072
Lens of Sutton
A GWR 0-6-0ST locomotive stands at the station's up platform with express headlamps on the buffer
GWR Atlantic 4-4-2 No 102 'La France' is seen on a Worcester to Paddington express on 7th August 1923
Ref: gwrmm3071
HGW Household
GWR Atlantic 4-4-2 No 102 'La France' is seen on a Worcester to Paddington express on 7th August 1923
Ex-MSWJR 2-4-0 No 1335 is seen on a SLS Special Shipston Branch Tour on Saturday 31st August 1952
Ref: gwrmm3073
HC Casserley
Ex-MSWJR 2-4-0 No 1335 is seen on a SLS Special Shipston Branch Tour on Saturday 31st August 1952
GWR 4-6-0 No 4088 'Dartmouth Castle' passing through the station on an up Worcester to Paddington express
Ref: gwrmm985
HF Wheeller
GWR 4-6-0 No 4088 'Dartmouth Castle' is seen passing through on an up Worcester to Paddington express

GWR 4-6-0 'Castle class' No 5063 'Earl Baldwin' passes through on an up Worcester to Paddington service
Ref: gwrmm981
PJ Garland
GWR 4-6-0 'Castle class' No 5063 'Earl Baldwin' passes through on an up Worcester to Paddington service
Ex-GWR 4-6-0 49xx class No 6922 	'Burton Hall' passes through Moreton-in-Marsh with the 'Up Perishables'
Ref: gwrmm3074
HF Wheeler
Ex-GWR 4-6-0 49xx class No 6922 'Burton Hall' passes through Moreton-in-Marsh with the 'Up Perishables'
British Railways 2-6-0 2MT No 78008 is seen on a down stopping train north of the station on 11th October 1958
Ref: gwrmm3076
HF Wheeler
British Railways 2-6-0 2MT No 78008 is seen on a down stopping train north of the station on 11th October 1958

Miscellaneous

A copy of British Railways' November Timetable for week day services to London, Oxford, Worcester & Hereford
Ref: gwrmm3075
British Railways
A copy of British Railways' November Timetable for week day services to London, Oxford, Worcester & Hereford
View of the original 1853 Moreton-in-Marsh station built by the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway
Ref: gwrmm3086
Great Western Railway
The January 1907 Service Timetable for Shipston-on-Stour and Moreton-in-Marsh Locomotive Tramway
View of the original 1853 Moreton-in-Marsh station built by the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway
Ref: gwrmm3087
British Railways
The number of wagons sent to Shipston from Moreton-in-Marsh between November 1958 and May 1960
GWR Appendix to the March 1950 STT detailing the local instructions to occupy the Shipston-on-Stour Branch
Ref: gwrmm1001
Great Western Railway
GWR Appendix to the March 1950 STT detailing the local instructions to occupy the Shipston-on-Stour Branch
A low resolution version of the Signalling Diagram, dated 1952, for Moreton-in-Marsh Signal Box erected in 1883
Ref: gwrmm3173
Signalling Record Society
A low resolution version of the Signalling Diagram, dated 1952, for Moreton-in-Marsh Signal Box erected in 1883

Ordnance Survey maps

A large scale view of the 1884 OS map showing Moreton-in-Marsh station and it's three approach roads
Ref: gwrmm3080
National Library of Scotland
A large scale view of the 1884 OS map showing Moreton-in-Marsh station and it's three approach roads
View of the original 1853 Moreton-in-Marsh station built by the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway
Ref: gwrmm3081
National Library of Scotland
A close up of the 1884 Ordance Survey map showing Moreton-in-Marsh station and the exchange sidings
A large scale view of the 1900 OS map showing the station, the Shipston on Stour branch, and the exchange sidings
Ref: gwrmm3084
National Library of Scotland
A large scale view of the 1900 OS map showing the station, the Shipston on Stour branch, and the exchange sidings
A close up view of the 1900 Ordnance Survey map showing the station has now had its footbridge installed
Ref: gwrmm3085
National Library of Scotland
A close up view of the 1900 Ordnance Survey map showing the station has now had its footbridge installed
A large scale view of the 1918 OS map showing the station, the Shipston on Stour branch, and the exchange sidings
Ref: gwrmm3083
National Library of Scotland
A large scale view of the 1918 OS map showing the station, the Shipston on Stour branch, and the exchange sidings

A close up of the 1919 revised OS map showing Moreton in Marsh station and the two sets of sidings
Ref: gwrmm3082
National Library of Scotland
A close up of the 1919 revised OS map showing Moreton in Marsh station and the two sets of sidings
An 1882 GWR map of Moreton-in-Marsh station showing the original line of the tramway passing in front of Blenheim Farm
Ref: gwrmm3137
Great Western Railway
An 1882 GWR map of the station showing the original line of the tramway passing in front of Blenheim Farm