·  LMS  ·  GWR  ·  LNER  ·  Misc  ·  Stations  ·  What's New  ·  Video  ·  Guestbook  ·  About

LMS Route: Nuneaton to Birmingham New Street
LMS Route: Birmingham New Street to Tamworth

Water Orton Station

The original Water Orton station was opened on 16th May 1842 on the Birmingham and Derby Junction Railway's (B&DJR) section of line between Lawley Street, Birmingham and Whitacre. The station was one of four intermediate stations built when the line from Whitacre Junction to Lawley Street was opened. The station was furnished with a small goods yard and refuge sidings for passing goods traffic. This section of the B&DJR was initially authorised in 1836 with the bill originally envisaging the line running from Derby via Whitacre to Stechford, and then from here, over the London and Birmingham Railway's metals into Curzon Street station. London traffic was intended to run from Whitacre to Derby Junction (later known as Hampton station) at Hampton in Arden and then to be taken forward by London & Birmingham Railway (L&BR) services to Euston. The first section opened was from Whitacre to Hampton where onward traffic to and from Birmingham and London over L&BR rails commenced. However due to the high tolls charged by the L&BR, and also the significant traffic delays experienced by B&DJR travellers using the L&BR's services into Birmingham, the B&DJR very quickly decided to built their own direct line to Birmingham. However because their route needed to be terminated in Birmingham, they elected to run along the Tame and Rea valleys to a new station in Lawley Street rather than at Stechford as originally planned. Also known as the Tame Valley Railway, this and the Birmingham & Gloucester railway were merged in 1846 with other companies to become part of the Midland Railway.

In the early part of the 20th century, the Midland Railway decided to construct a 'cut-off' between Kingsbury and Water Orton. The Midland Railway was not prompted solely by the desire to remove the check to fast running caused by the 24 chains radius Whitacre curve. It was influenced by the need to increase the line capacity between Water Orton and Whitacre which was also the junction where the branch to Nuneaton and Wigston begins. The track capacity having already been augmented between Birmingham and Water Orton by quadrupling the number of lines, it was realised that the same measure of relief ought to be extended as far as Whitacre. Thus the idea presented itself that both objects could be better achieved by the construction of a short avoiding railway for the Birmingham and Derby traffic. Construction of the new route, which provided the equivalent of quadrupling the line, began in April 1907 and is 3 miles 68 chains in length (just short of four miles). Although the total distance saved was only 1¼ miles the speed that trains could maintain through the cut off helped to reduce overall journey times. An effect of the railway was to increase house building in the village. Commuters could now make the journey to Birmingham's Lawley Street and Curzon Street (later New Street) Railway Stations in a shorter time than by road. This made the village an ideal residential area for Birmingham professionals who wanted to get away from the city and live in the country.

The original station was built with two platforms, staggered either side of the footbridge and porter's barrow crossing. The footbridge was the continuation of a drive running from opposite Manor House Lane to New Road, itself a continuation of Birmingham Road. The main station building was on the down (Birmingham) platform and is thought to have consisted of five brick built rooms, three single storey gabled rooms (facing out on to the platform) with two connecting rooms in between (see image 'mrwo121c' and 'mrwo1045'). On the up platform, passengers were catered for by a small timber built waiting room. In all likelihood, the main station building on the down platform would consist of a station master's office, booking office and hall/general waiting room, First class waiting room and a ladies waiting room. At the Birmingham end of this structure was a single storey flat roof building accommodating the gentlemen's urinals. The station master's house was located on the up side of the station adjacent to the goods yard and near to the steps leading down from the passenger footbridge (see image 'mrwo121').

The goods yard, which consisted of a single looped siding, was located on the up (Derby) line. The entrance to the goods yard was located on the corner of Marsh Lane and Station Drive with a weighbridge and office near to the entrance, as denoted by the letters 'W M' seen on the '1886 Ordnance Survey map'. However, examination of the '1901 Ordnance Survey map'shows the absence of these letters and the weighbridge office building, with the entrance now appearing to be relocated off the corner between Marsh Road and Minworth Road. The railway also brought the Meat Industry to Water Orton. There were large stock yards near the sidings and next to the Dog Inn in Marsh Lane. Cattle were off-loaded from rail wagons into pens, then driven two miles down the road to butchers' slaughter houses in Castle Bromwich, when meat was provided for nearby villages.

As was the case with Castle Bromwich, the additional lines of the new route required the station to be rebuilt and thus the new station was located 220 yards to the west of the original station opening on 3rd May 1909. The siting of the new station to the west (Birmingham) side of the bridge carrying Marsh Lane over the railway meant there was no disruption to the services running from the station. Similarly the goods yard was moved from its current position on the up side of the station to the down side and was provided with two sidings, a weigh bridge and office plus a cattle dock, all accessed via an entrance off Birmingham Road which was located on the western side of the junction with Marsh Road (See the '1923 Ordnance Survey Map'). The Railway Clearing House's 1929 Handbook of Railway Stations states Water Orton provided the general public and businesses with the following services. These are recorded as: Goods traffic; Passenger and Parcels traffic; and Live Stock (GPL). There were no cranage facilities provided in the goods yard so merchants would either have to man handle the loading/unloading of goods themselves or, if necessary, bring in a mobile crane. The goods yard remained open until 7th March 1966 when it was closed.

The new station was a two storey brick structure with the first floor being at road level facing out on to Marsh Lane. On the left was a doorway for goods - by this definition the MR would include any item that could be carried in the guards van on passenger services which could large items such as motorbikes - which led into a passage leading into a room containing a hoist. On the right was the entrance to a booking hall with a booking office at its rear. Between the goods elevator and booking office was a staircase which led down to the platform. The ground floor of the two storey building accommodated the station master's office, porter's room, lamp room, store room, coal store and the bottom of the hoist. The covered walkway from the road led down to an island platform upon which were two light and airy timber buildings providing passenger accommodation. The platform canopy was the full width of the island platform and ran the length of the platform from the bottom of the stairs to a good way beyond the last of the two timber buildings. As can be seen in image 'mrwo1761' there was a break in the central portion of the canopy between the buildings. It would appear from the photographs of the station when first opened that the platform buildings contained a general waiting room, a first class waiting room, a ladies waiting room plus one other not identified.

As can be seen on the '1886 Ordnance Survey map', the original signal box was located adjacent to the down line on the western (Birmingham) side of the road bridge. This became part of the goods yard when the station was rebuilt. The second 1909 Midland Railway signal box was erected slightly to the west of a new footbridge which was erected more or less on the site of the original. A new footbridge was required because it needed to span not just four tracks but a space more or less the same width as the island station. This signal box had to be replaced in the 1950s when a freight train derailed and demolished the signal box. As with many other signal boxes on this and other sections of the railway around Birmingham, the third British Railways signal box was closed in September 1969 when the new Power Box at Saltley was opened.

Original Water Orton Station

View of Water Orton's original station showing the staggered platforms either side of the footbridge circa 1900
Ref: mrwo121
Postcard
View of Water Orton's original station showing the staggered platforms either side of the footbridge circa 1900
Close up showing the lime stained cattle wagon standing on the siding with a railway worker posed for the camera
Ref: mrwo121a
Postcard
Close up showing the lime stained cattle wagon standing on the siding with a railway worker posed for the camera
Close up showing the staggered platforms and on the left the up platform's small passenger waiting room
Ref: mrwo121b
Postcard
Close up showing the staggered platforms and on the left the up platform's small passenger waiting room
Close up of the main facilities including station master's office, booking office, general and ladies waiting rooms
Ref: mrwo121c
Postcard
Close up of the main facilities including station master's office, booking office, general and ladies waiting rooms
Water Orton station looking towards Birmingham with the main passenger buildings seen on the left
Ref: mrwo1045
WoW
Water Orton station looking towards Birmingham with the main passenger buildings seen on the left

Second Water Orton Station

A 1908 view of Water Orton station's entrance for goods and passengers and the booking hall
Ref: mrwo1749
British Railways
A 1908 view of Water Orton station's entrance for goods and passengers and the booking hall
Exterior view of the station with the goods entrance on the left and the passenger entrance on the right
Ref: mrwo120
Anon
Exterior view of the station with the goods entrance on the left and the passenger entrance on the right
 A 1908 view of the two storey brick built main station building and the wooden covered stairway leading down from the booking hall
Ref: mrwo1744
British Railways
A 1908 view of the two storey building and the wooden covered stairway leading down from the booking hall
A lineside view of the up platform and the pair of amply glazed timber buildings which stood on the platform
Ref: mrwo1761
British Railways
A lineside view of the station's up platform and the two pairs of amply glazed timber buildings
A 1909 view of the rear of the two storey brick built building seen from the up side of the station
Ref: mrwo1761a
British Railways
A 1909 view of the rear of the two storey brick built building seen from the up side of the station

Close up showing the central portion of the two platform buildings, with a roof light in between the two structures
Ref: mrwo1761b
British Railways
Close up showing the central portion of the two platform buildings, with a roof light in between the two structures
Looking from the goods yard towards Water Orton's island platform with the MR signal box seen through the bridge
Ref: mrwo122
Anon
Looking from the goods yard towards Water Orton's island platform with the MR signal box seen through the bridge
Close up of the passenger building accommodating the waiting rooms located on the station's island platform
Ref: mrwo122a
Anon
Close up of the passenger building accommodating the waiting rooms located on the station's island platform
Close up showing the passenger stairway and the lift used to transport goods from the platform to Marsh Lane
Ref: mrwo122b
Anon
Close up of the passenger stairway and the lift used to transport goods from the platform to Marsh Lane
Close up looking through the overbridge showing the original 1909 Midland Railway signal box
Ref: mrwo122c
Anon
Close up looking through the overbridge showing the original 1909 Midland Railway signal box

View along the island platform of the second station with the  up passenger line on the left and the down line on the right
Ref: mrwo1049
Stations UK
View along the island platform of the second station with the up passenger line on the left and the down line on the right
A view of Water Orton's goods yard, the access road from Birmingham Road, and its two sidings in November 1964
Ref: mrwo1844
RJ Essery
A view of Water Orton's goods yard, the access road from Birmingham Road, and its two sidings in November 1964
A 1908 view of the station master's new house at Water Orton which built to coincide with the building of the new station
Ref: mrwo1755
British Railways
A 1908 view of the station master's new house at Water Orton built to coincide with the building of the new station
Looking through the down section of the overbridge and showing the BR replacement signal box
Ref: mrwo1055
R Postill
Looking through the down section of the overbridge and showing the BR replacement signal box
A view of Water Orton Sidings Signal Box in April 1969 a few months after the sidings were cleared following closure but just before the track was lifted
Ref: mrwo1843
MA King
Water Orton Sidings Signal Box in April 1969 a few months after the sidings were cleared following closure

Looking towards Water Orton junction with the line to Derby on the left and the line to Leicester on the right in 1958
Ref: mrwo1035
M Moran
Looking towards Water Orton junction with the line to Derby on the left and the line to Leicester on the right in 1958

Water Orton Sidings

Looking towards Nuneaton with Water Orton station in the distance and the sidings on the left
Ref: mrwo1038
LNWR Society
Looking towards Nuneaton with Water Orton station in the distance and the sidings on the left
Close up showing a variety of timber mineral wagons and a mixture of types of vented vans
Ref: mrwo1038a
LNWR Society
Close up showing a variety of timber mineral wagons and a mixture of types of vented vans in store
Close up showing Water Orton station's goods yard on the right with many vehicles evident on both sidings
Ref: mrwo1038b
LNWR Society
Close up showing Water Orton station's goods yard on the right with many vehicles evident on both sidings
Looking along the marshalling sidings towards Water Orton station with the up signal gantry in the distance
Ref: mrwo1039
LNWR Society
Looking along the marshalling sidings towards Water Orton station with the up signal gantry in the distance
Close up showing a variety of wagons including open mineral wagons, vented vans, cattle wagons, guards vans and low loader wagons
Ref: mrwo1039a
LNWR Society
Close up of wagons including open mineral wagons, vented vans, cattle wagons, guards vans and low loader wagons

Close up of a 2-6-0 'Horwich Crab', and a 4-6-0 Stanier Black 5 locomotive piloting a 'Midland' 0-6-0 4F 'Big Goods
Ref: mrwo1039b
LNWR Society
Close up of a 2-6-0 'Horwich Crab', and a 4-6-0 Stanier Black 5 locomotive piloting a 'Midland' 0-6-0 4F 'Big Goods
Water Orton Siding's track made up of rails laid on their sides and spiked direct to the sleepers without chairs
Ref: mrwo1848
LNWR Society
Water Orton Siding's track made up of rails laid on their sides and spiked direct to the sleepers without chairs
BR Diesel Shunter 0-6-0 D3775 runs past empty wagons at Water Orton goods sidings in the early 1960s
Ref: mrwo1851
A Pratt
BR Diesel Shunter 0-6-0 D3775 runs past empty wagons at Water Orton goods sidings in the early 1960s
Looking from the 'north' along the buffer stops of Water Orton towards the western end of the station
Ref: mrwo1759
E Ravenhall
Looking from the 'north' along the buffer stops of Water Orton towards the western end of the station
Looking west from the buffer stops towards the marshalling yard and the route to Walsall station
Ref: mrwo1760
E Ravenhall
Looking west from the buffer stops towards the marshalling yard and the route to Walsall station

Trains seen at or near Water Orton station

Ex-Midland Railway 0-6-0 3F No 3147 is seen at the head of a Class H freight service coming off the Leicester line
Ref: mrwo118
WL Good
Ex-Midland Railway 0-6-0 3F No 3147 is seen at the head of a Class H freight service coming off the Leicester line
Midland Railway 0-6-0 2F No 3049 is seen passing the cattle pens whilst at the head of a long mineral train in 1921
Ref: mrwo119
WL Good
MR 0-6-0 2F No 3049 is seen passing the cattle pens whilst at the head of a long mineral train in 1921
Ex-LMS 8P 2-8-0 No 48381 on a Class H freight from Toton to Washwood Heath on 2nd October 1959
Ref: mrwo1036
M Mensing
Ex-LMS 8P 2-8-0 No 48381 on a Class H freight from Toton to Washwood Heath on 2nd October 1959
Ex-LMS 8P 4-6-2 No 46239 'City of Chester' leaves the Leicester line at the head of a down parcels service
Ref: mrwo1044
M Mensing
Ex-LMS 8P 4-6-2 No 46239 'City of Chester' leaves the Leicester line at the head of a down parcels service
Ex-LMS 8P 4-6-2 No 46239 'City of Chester' passes Water Orton's new signal whilst at the head of a parcels service
Ref: mrwo1040
M Mensing
Ex-LMS 8P 4-6-2 No 46239 'City of Chester' passes Water Orton's new signal whilst at the head of a parcels service

Ex-LMS 5MT 4-6-0 No 44811 passes through the station with a Class A express service for Nuneaton circa 1960
Ref: mrwo1768
JS Doubleday
Ex-LMS 5MT 4-6-0 No 44811 passes through the station with a Class A express service for Nuneaton circa 1960
Ex-LMS 5MT 4-6-0 No 44918 heads a Class A express service through the station bound for Derby circa 1960
Ref: mrwo1769
JS Doubleday
Ex-LMS 5MT 4-6-0 No 44918 heads a Class A express service through the station bound for Derby circa 1960
Ex-LMS 5XP 4-6-0 No 45557 'New Brunswick' approaches Water Orton station with a Class B Derby to New Street service
Ref: mrwo1776
JS Doubleday
Ex-LMS 5XP 4-6-0 No 45557 'New Brunswick' approaches Water Orton station with a Class B Derby to New Street service
Ex-MR 2P 4-4-0 No 40439 stands at Water Orton with a Nuneaton to Birmingham ordinary passenger service circa 1959
Ref: mrwo1781
JS Doubleday
Ex-MR 2P 4-4-0 No 40439 stands at Water Orton with a Nuneaton to Birmingham ordinary passenger service
Ex-LMS 8F 2-8-0 No 48668 heads a westbound Class K mineral train through Water Orton station circa 1959
Ref: mrwo1782
JS Doubleday
Ex-LMS 8F 2-8-0 No 48668 heads a westbound Class K mineral train through Water Orton station circa 1959

An unidentified ex-LNER B1 4-6-0 is seen coming off the Nuneaton line with a Class H service to Washwood Heath Sidings
Ref: mrwo1746
D Taggart
An ex-LNER B1 4-6-0 is seen coming off the Nuneaton line with a Class H service to Washwood Heath Sidings
Ex-LMS 5MT 4-6-0 No 45088 passes the 1909 Midland Signal Box with a Class A Derby to Birmingham express service circa 1959
Ref: mrwo1764
JS Doubleday
Ex-LMS 5MT 4-6-0 No 45088 MR Signal Box with a Class A Derby to Birmingham express service circa 1959
Ex-LMS 4F 0-6-0 No 44571 passes through Water Orton station with a westbound Class K pick-up freight circa 1959
Ref: mrwo1765
JS Doubleday
Ex-LMS 4F 0-6-0 No 44571 passes through Water Orton station with a westbound Class K pick-up freight
Ex-LMS 6P5F Horwich Crab' No 42798 comes off the Derby line with a Class D freight service in 1959
Ref: mrwo1767
M Mensing
Ex-LMS 6P5F Horwich Crab' No 42798 comes off the Derby line with a Class D freight service in 1959
British Railways built 4MT 2-6-0 No 43036 exits the Leicester line with an express service for New Street on 28th February 1959
Ref: mrwo1037
M Mensing
BR built 4MT 2-6-0 No 43036 exits the Leicester line with an express service for New Street on 28th February 1959

An unidentified ex-LMS 'Black Five' on a fitted freight heading North on the fast line on 1st September 1952
Ref: mrwo1052
DJ Norton
An unidentified ex-LMS 'Black Five' on a fitted freight heading North on the fast line on 1st September 1952
British Railways built Caprotti 5MT 4-6-0 No 44744 approaches the station on an up express from Bristol
Ref: mrwo443
BJ Miller
British Railways built Caprotti 5MT 4-6-0 No 44744 approaches the station on an up express from Bristol
Ex-LMS 2-8-0 8F No 48266 leaves the Leicester line on a coal train to Washwood Heath on Saturday 26th April 1958
Ref: mrwo1042
M Mensing
Ex-LMS 2-8-0 8F No 48266 leaves the Leicester line on a coal train to Washwood Heath on Saturday 26th April 1958
Ex-LMS Beyer-Garratt 2-6-0+0-6-2 No 47996 leaves the Derby line with a Birmingham bound freight in July 1955
Ref: mrwo1043
GW Sharpe
Ex-LMS Beyer-Garratt 2-6-0+0-6-2 No 47996 leaves the Derby line with a freight for Washwood Heath in 1955
Ex-LMS 5XP 4-6-0 No 45699 'Galatea' uses the fast lines on a down Bristol express on 8th May 1954
Ref: mrwo1047
P Glenn
Ex-LMS 5XP 4-6-0 No 45699 'Galatea' uses the fast lines on a down Bristol express on 8th May 1954

British Railways built 'Ivatt' 4MT 2-6-0 No 43036 enters Water Orton with a Class A express service on 28th February 1959
Ref: mrwo1751
M Mensing
BR built 'Ivatt' 4MT 2-6-0 No 43036 enters Water Orton with a Class A express service on 28th February 1959
Ex-MR 0-6-0 2F No 58167, runs tender first whilst towing a brake van, leaving the sidings on 6th August 1952
Ref: mrwo1053
DJ Norton
Ex-MR 0-6-0 2F No 58167, runs tender first whilst towing a brakevan, leaving the sidings on 6th August 1952
Ex-LMS 0-6-0 4F No 44270 adjacent to Water Orton sidings on a Class F express freight service on 16th August 1954
Ref: mrwo1054
DJ Norton
Ex-LMS 0-6-0 4F No 44270 next to Water Orton sidings on a Class F express freight service on 16th August 1954
Close up showing some of the many marshalling and storage sidings located on the up line at Water Orton station
Ref: mrwo1054a
DJ Norton
Close up showing some of the many marshalling and storage sidings located on the up line at Water Orton station
Ex-LMS 5MT 4-6-0 No 44814 crosses over from the Derby line on a New Street express service circa 1956
Ref: mrwo1048
RS Carpenter
Ex-LMS 5MT 4-6-0 No 44814 crosses over from the Derby line on a New Street express service circa 1956

Ex LMS 4F 0-6-0 No 44458 passes Water Orton station with a train of empty mineral wagons for Kingsbury
Ref: mrwo1156
J Griffiths
Ex LMS 4F 0-6-0 No 44458 passes Water Orton station with a train of empty mineral wagons for Kingsbury
An unidentified ex-WD 2-8-0 locomotive approaches Water Orton from the Derby line on a Class F express freight service
Ref: mrwo1748
D Taggart
An ex-WD 2-8-0 locomotive approaches Water Orton from the Derby line on a Class F express freight service
Ex-LMS 8F 2-8-0 No 48247 passes British Railways Standard Class 4 2-6-0 No 76086 at Water Orton junction on 21st May 1966
Ref: mrwo1750
R Siviter
Ex-LMS 8F 2-8-0 No 48247 & BR Standard Class 4 2-6-0 No 76086 at Water Orton junction on 21st May 1966
BR Standard Class 5MT 4-6-0 No 73139 approaches Water Orton at the head of the Fridays only 2:15 pm York to Gloucester express service in October 1959
Ref: mrwo1779
M Mensing
BR 5MT 4-6-0 No 73139 approaches Water Orton with the Fridays only York to Gloucester express service
An unidentified ex-LMS 5MT 4-6-0 locomotive is seen proceeding with a Class C service on the down line from Kingsbury to Water Orton
Ref: mrwo1757
D Underwood
An ex-LMS 5MT 4-6-0 locomotive is seen proceeding with a Class C service on the down line from Kingsbury

An unidentified ex-LMS 8F 2-8-0 locomotive passes through Water Orton with an empty mineral train towards Derby
Ref: mrwo1775
D Underwood
An unidentified ex-LMS 8F
2-8-0 locomotive passes through Water Orton with an empty mineral train
An unidentified British Railways Brush Type 2 diesel locomotive enters the cut off line for Kingsbury line with a freight service
Ref: mrwo1839
Vic Smith
Ex-LMS 6P 4-6-0 No 46142 'The York and Lancaster Regiment' departs with the nightly Water Orton to Crewe
An unidentified ex-LMS Beyer-Garratt 2-6-0+0-6-2 locomotive is seen proceeding on the Kingsbury line to Washwood Heath Sidings
Ref: mrwo1799
D Underwood
An ex-LMS 2-6-0+0-6-2 locomotive is seen proceeding on the Kingsbury line to Washwood Heath Sidings
An unidentified ex-LMS 8F 2-8-0 locomotive is seen passing Water Orton Sidings Signal Box with a coal train bound for Washwood Heath Sidings
Ref: mrwo1800
D Underwood
An unidentified ex-LMS 8F
2-8-0 locomotive is seen passing Water Orton Sidings Signal Box with a coal train
Ex-LMS 8F 2-8-0 No 48674 passes Water Orton East Junction Signal Box and takes the Kingsbury line with a Class F freight
Ref: mrwo1840
R Siviter
Ex-LMS 8F 2-8-0 No 48674 passes Water Orton East Junction Signal Box with a Class F freight working

BR 9F 2-10-0 No 92139 with a Class F express freight heading for Nuneaton passes beneath the footbridge
Ref: mrwo1841
D Taggart
BR 9F 2-10-0 No 92139 with a Class F express freight heading for Nuneaton passes beneath the footbridge
An ex-LMS 'Black 5' locomotive passes through the station tender first with a mineral train
Ref: mrwo1856
A Pratt
An ex-LMS 'Black 5' locomotive passes through the station tender first with a mineral train
Ex-MR 2F 0-6-0 No 58186 stands in a scrap siding at Water Orton's goods yard in March 1962
Ref: mrwo1963
T Bennett
Ex-MR 2F 0-6-0 No 58186 stands in a scrap siding at Water Orton's goods yard in March 1962
Ex-MR 2P 4-4-0 No 40396 stands in a scrap siding at Water Orton's goods yard in March 1962
Ref: mrwo1964
T Bennett
Ex-MR 2P 4-4-0 No 40396 stands in a scrap siding at Water Orton's goods yard in March 1962

Diesel Dawn

An unidentified British Railways Brush Type 2 diesel locomotive enters the cut off line for Kingsbury line with a freight service
Ref: mrwo1801
D Underwood
A BR Brush Type 2 diesel locomotive enters the cut off line for Kingsbury line with a freight service
An unidentified British Railways Sulzer Type 4 diesel locomotive is seen coming off the line from Derby with an express service
Ref: mrwo1802
D Underwood
A British Railways Sulzer Type 4 diesel locomotive is seen coming off the line from Derby with an express service
Two unidentified English Electric Type 1 locomotives pass through Water Orton station towards Derby on a very wintry day
Ref: mrwo1762
B Hughes
Two English Electric Type 1 locomotives pass through Water Orton station towards Derby on a very wintry day
An unidentified British Railways Brush Type 2 diesel locomotive enters the cut off line for Kingsbury line with a freight service
Ref: mrwo1842
Anon
An unidentified BR Class 08 diesel electric locomotive comes off the Kingsbury Cut Off with a short ballast train
An unidentified British Railways Sulzer Type 2 diesel is seen passing the British Railways Signal Box on its way to Kingsbury Junction
Ref: mrwo1766
P Shoesmith
An unidentified Sulzer Type 2 diesel is seen passing the British Railways Signal Box on its way to Kingsbury Junction

An unidentified ex-LMS 4-6-0 'Black 5' is seen passing light engine through Water Orton station
Ref: mrwo1852
A Pratt
An unidentified ex-LMS 4-6-0 'Stanier Black 5' is seen passing light engine through Water Orton station
BR 	Type 4 'Peak' D133 is seen passing light engine through the station en-route for the Kingsbury line
Ref: mrwo1853
A Pratt
BR Type 4 'Peak' D133 is seen passing light engine through the station en-route for the Kingsbury line
English Electric Type 4 1Co-Co1 D300 passes through the station with a train of mineral wagons in the mid 1960s
Ref: mrwo1854
A Pratt
English Electric Type 4 D300 passes through the station with a train of mineral wagons in the mid 1960s
English Electric Type 4 D229 is held by signals at Water Orton station before preceding on to the line to Kingsbury Junction
Ref: mrwo1855
A Pratt
English Electric Type 4 D229 is held by signals before preceding on to the line to Kingsbury Junction

Wagons seen at Water Orton

Ordnance Survey map showing the marshalling sidings on the left and the goods sidings on the right
Ref: mrwo1770
JS Doubleday
A BR 16 ton mineral wagon reconditioned after SNCF service retaining continental style buffers at Water Orton
A British Railways built 13 ton Shock Open Merchandise wagon, No B720128, seen at Water Orton circa 1959
Ref: mrwo1771
JS Doubleday
A British Railways built 13 ton Shock Open Merchandise wagon, No B720128, seen at Water Orton circa 1959
A British Railways 16 ton mineral wagon, No B59383, fitted with top, side, end & bottom doors seen at Water Orton circa 1959
Ref: mrwo1772
JS Doubleday
A BR 16 ton mineral wagon, No B59383, fitted with top, side, end & bottom doors seen at Water Orton
A British Railways 13 ton 7-plank ex-private owner wagon, No P391288, formerly Stephenson Clarke No 7576, is seen at Water Orton circa 1959
Ref: mrwo1773
JS Doubleday
A BR 13 ton 7-plank ex-PO wagon, No P391288, formerly Stephenson Clarke No 7576, is seen at Water Orton
A British Railways Bogie Bolster 'C', No B943423, is seen loaded with timber at Water Orton circa 1959
Ref: mrwo1774
JS Doubleday
A British Railways Bogie Bolster 'C', No B943423, is seen loaded with timber at Water Orton circa 1959

A British Railways Bogie Bolster 'C', No B943870, is seen loaded with a pre-stressed concrete beam at Water Orton circa 1959
Ref: mrwo1775
JS Doubleday
A BR Bogie Bolster 'C', No B943870, is seen loaded with a pre-stressed concrete beam at Water Orton
An ex-Southern Railway unfitted 13 ton wooden-bodied eight plank wagon, No S11006, fitted with top and side doors, is seen at Water Orton circa 1959
Ref: mrwo1778
JS Doubleday
An ex-SR unfitted 13 ton wooden bodied 8 plank wagon fitted with top and side doors, is seen at Water Orton
A former LMS 20 ton Goods Brake Van, No M730527, is seen attached to the rear of a passing up goods at Water Orton circa 1959
Ref: mrwo1780
JS Doubleday
A ex-LMS 20 ton Goods Brake Van is seen attached to the rear of a passing up goods at Water Orton circa 1959
An ex-LMS six wheel Covered Combination Truck, or CCT Diagram 1871 built circa 1926, is stabled hard up to buffer stops at Water Orton in 1959
Ref: mrwo1783
JS Doubleday
An ex-LMS six wheel Covered Combination Truck is stabled hard up to buffer stops at Water Orton Sidings in 1959
Two photos of the skeletal remains of a MR Cattle Wagon at the old cattle dock as seen in December 1968
Ref: mrwo1758
B Hughes
Two photos of the skeletal remains of a MR Cattle Wagon at the old cattle dock as seen in December 1968

Drawing of Plans and Elevations of Second Water Orton Station

A Midland Railway Engineer's drawing prepared at their Derby drawing office in February 1908
Ref: mrwo1041
Midland Railway
A Midland Railway Engineer's drawing prepared at their Derby drawing office in February 1908
Sectional drawing showing the Porter's room, Booking Office and Parcels and stairway entrance
Ref: mrwo1041a
Midland Railway
Sectional drawing showing the Porter's room, Booking Office and Parcels and stairway entrance
Sectional drawing showing the goods entrance and passenger entrance to Water Orton Station
Ref: mrwo1041b
Midland Railway
Sectional drawing showing the goods entrance and passenger entrance to Water Orton Station
Sectional drawing showing the stairway from road level to the platform and the lift door at platform level
Ref: mrwo1041c
Midland Railway
Sectional drawing showing the stairway from road level to the platform and the lift door at platform level
Sectional drawing showing the Booking Office, Parcels room, Station Mater's Office and other accommodation
Ref: mrwo1041d
Midland Railway
Sectional drawing showing the Booking Office, Parcels room, Station Mater's Office and other accommodation

Plan of the goods entrance, passenger entrance, booking hall, booking office, hoist and stairway to platform
Ref: mrwo1041e
Midland Railway
Plan of the goods entrance, passenger entrance, booking hall, booking office, hoist and stairway to platform
Plan of the station master's office, porters' and lamp room, store room and passenger stairway to platform
Ref: mrwo1041h
Midland Railway
Plan of the station master's office, porters' and lamp room, store room and passenger stairway to platform
Sectional drawing of the down platform elevation of Water Orton station showing external features
Ref: mrwo1041f
Midland Railway
Sectional drawing of the down platform elevation of Water Orton station showing external features
Sectional drawing of the up platform elevation of Water Orton station showing external features
Ref: mrwo1041g
Midland Railway
Sectional drawing of the up platform elevation of Water Orton station showing external features

Ordnance Suvey Maps, Schematic Drawing and Illustrations

An 1886 25 Inch to the Mile Ordnance Survey Map showing the junction of the lines from Walsall and Lawley Street and the marshalling yard
Ref: mrwo1795
National Library of Scotland
An 1886 OS Map showing the junction of the lines from Walsall and Lawley Street and the marshalling yard
An 186 25 Inch to the Mile Ordnance Survey Map showing the east end of the marshalling yard and Water Orton station
Ref: mrwo1796
National Library of Scotland
An 1886 25 Inch to the Mile OS Map showing the east end of the marshalling yard and Water Orton station
An 1886 25 Inch to the Mile Ordnance Survey Map showing the original 1842 Water Orton station's layout
Ref: mrwo1797
National Library of Scotland
An 1886 25 Inch to the Mile Ordnance Survey Map showing the original 1842 Water Orton station's layout
A 1901 25 Inch to the Mile Ordnance Survey Map showing the junction of the lines from Walsall and Lawley Street and the marshalling yard
Ref: mrwo1793
National Library of Scotland
A 1901 OS Map showing the junction of the lines from Walsall and Lawley Street and the marshalling yard
A 1901 25 Inch to the Mile Ordnance Survey Map showing the original 1842 Water Orton station's layout
Ref: mrwo1794
National Library of Scotland
A 1901 25 Inch to the Mile Ordnance Survey Map showing the original 1842 Water Orton station's layout

A 1923 25 Inch to the Mile Ordnance Survey Map showing Water Orton Marshalling Yard and Sidings
Ref: mrwo1790
National Library of Scotland
A 1923 25 Inch to the Mile Ordnance Survey Map showing Water Orton Marshalling Yard and Sidings
A 1923 25 Inch to the Mile Ordnance Survey Map showing the junction of the lines from Walsall and Lawley Street and the marshalling yard
Ref: mrwo1792
National Library of Scotland
A 1923 OS Map showing the junction of the lines from Walsall and Lawley Street and the marshalling yard
A 1923 25 Inch to the Mile Ordnance Survey Map showing the east end of the marshalling yard and Water Orton's sidings
Ref: mrwo1791
National Library of Scotland
A 1923 25 Inch to the Mile OS Map showing the east end of the marshalling yard and Water Orton's sidings
A 1923 25 inch to the mile Ordnance Survey Map of Water Orton station, goods yard and junction to Kingsbury
Ref: mrwo1789
National Library of Scotland
A 1923 25 inch to the mile Ordnance Survey Map showing Water Orton station, goods yard and junction to Kingsbury
Ordnance Survey map showing the marshalling sidings on the left and the goods sidings on the right
Ref: mrwo1437
Ordnance Survey
A 1952 OS map showing Park Lane Junction at the top of the triangle and Water Orton station on the right

View of Birmingham Sewage Farm's outfall conduit passing beneath the railway and the occupation over bridge, near Water Orton
Ref: mrwo1785
National Library of Scotland
An 1838 1 in 25,000 Ordnance Survey Map showing the new 'Cut Off' between Kingsbury and Water Orton
A Midland Railway Distance Diagram showing the marshalling and goods sidings located at Water Orton
Ref: mrwo1046
Midland Railway
A Midland Railway Distance Diagram showing the marshalling and goods sidings located at Water Orton
A plan of the Midland Railway's and the London North Western Railway's lines in the district in 1907
Ref: mrwo1756
The Engineer
A plan of the Midland Railway's and the London North Western Railway's lines in the district in 1907
Illustration of the variety of the oil lamps employed along the route between Castle Bromwich and Stockingford
Ref: mr-misc001
J Griffiths
Illustration of the variety of the oil lamps employed along the route between Castle Bromwich and Stockingford