·  LMS  ·  GWR  ·  LNER  ·  Misc  ·  Stations  ·  What's New  ·  Video  ·  Guestbook  ·  About

Leamington Spa Station (GWR)

GWR Route: Banbury to Wolverhampton

Leaminton Station (163) Locomotives at Leamington (209) Leamington Shed (65)

A brief overview of the station

Leaminton Station is located on Old Warwick Road towards the southern edge of the town centre. The station was opened in 1852 by the Great Western Railway as part of the Birmingham to Oxford line. Its opening compelled the LNWR to build in 1854 their own Leamington station which was located adjacent to the GWR station. In 1864 a link was made between the GWR line and the LNWR after which a good deal of goods traffic was interchanged between the two lines. By the late 1920’s there were over one million men unemployed in the UK and in an attempt to reduce this figure the government introduced the ‘Development (Loan Guarantee and Grants) Act 1929’. This Bill provided financial assistance to public utilities for what would otherwise be un-ruminative Capital expenditure schemes in the form of annual low interest grants and also grants to defray, in whole or in part, the interest payments on any Loan (with a 15 year limit).

As a result of this scheme, the Great Western developed an extensive improvement programme across its network. In the Warwickshire Area this included quadrupling the Birmingham Main Line approaches (1933), New Goods Facilities in Birmingham (1933) and reconstruction of Leamington Spa Station (1938). The first Leamington Spa Station had been built in 1853, but had been modified piecemeal over the years, with extra buildings, removal of the overall train shed roof, additional platform length and construction of a bay platform. The planned new station would have wider platforms of standard height protected by new longer canopies and connected by a new 15’ wide passenger subway with electric lifts to each platform for luggage. A new approach road was to be constructed to provide access at subway level and an impressive modern ‘Art Deco’ style, three storey station building faced with Portland stone and granite would provide additional facilities for both passengers and staff. Electric lighting would be provided to all buildings and the subway, while modern gas lighting was to be provided to the platforms and station approach roads.

Normal traffic operation and passenger access was required to continue during the station reconstruction work which resulted in the work being carried out in a series of stages and taking almost two years to complete. A temporary booking office pavilion was built in the forecourt and maintained almost to the end. The limited working space on the up platform required all surplus materials from the excavation and demolition on this side to be removed by rail. The initial stage was to construct the new subway, excavate the forecourt, demolish the down side buildings and build new retaining walls for the down platform. This was carried out by E.C.Jordan of Newport, under a contract worth almost £20,000. Approximately 18,000 cubic yards of excavation were removed to form a forecourt, which extended over ¾ acre with a separate entrance and exit and 27,000 sq feet of surfaced roadway and parking space. During the excavation water was encountered below the platforms necessitating extra drainage and the provision of a 2” cavity behind the walls.

Holliday & Greenwood were given a contract worth £35,000 to erect new station buildings and carry out platform alterations. The building was a prefabricated steel framed structure, sheathed with brickwork and externally faced with white Portland stone above a contrasting polished granite plinth. This granite plinth continued into the booking office, with tiling above, while the subway was tiled through out including the non-slip floor. The granite plinth was also retained on the 1st floor platform side with the Portland stone facing on the pillars and restaurant façade, but English bond brickwork on the remaining walls. The new platforms were paved with precast slabs obtained from the GWR depot at Taunton. The building roofs were flat surrounded by low parapets, while the new canopies were conventional Great Western design, with zinc sheets over a shallow reverse slope steelwork frame supported on cast iron pillars. The down platform canopy had glass sections to provided natural light where it adjoined the station building.

To the left of the main entrance on the ground floor of the new station building (with direct access to the forecourt) were; the parcels office, cloak room, cycle store and the refreshment room cellar. To the right was the booking office and the entrance to the former passenger subway, which on completion was converted to a public footpath allowing the removal of the footbridge at the west end of the station. At platform level on the first floor was a store, the refreshment room, down side waiting room and lavatories, pay clerks office, bookstall, telegraph office, station master’s office, staff office and mess room. On the up platform was a second refreshment room, a bookstall, lavatories and a waiting room and on the top floor of the station building was further office accommodation and at least one staff flat. The reconstruction work was completed in 1939 and would have been the template for several other stations, but for the start of the Second World War. The construction quality is confirmed by the fact that after approximately eighty years the station buildings at Leamington Spa Station have needed little alteration.

Anyone interested in the history of Leamington station must obtain copies of the Great Western Railway Journal No 57 and No 58, edited by John Copsey. The two Journals contain articles by Chris Turner and John Copsey which must be regarded as the most extensive history of the station yet published. Many of the captions used throughout this website's Leamington pages are inspired by or use their exhaustive information. Local enthusiasts and historian's should count their blessings that not only are they privileged to be able to see the railway scene captured through HJ Stretton-Ward's lens but that they are accompanied by Chris' and John's superb captions and research.

Use the links below to access the following sections:

Exterior views of Leamington's original station

An artist's impression of Leamington station and station forecourt seen just after it opened in 1853
Ref: gwrls862
London Illustrated News
An artist's impression of Leamington station and station forecourt seen just after it opened in 1853
The original station seen from the lower entrance off Old Warwick Road with the pedestrian underpass on the right
Ref: gwrls239
Anon
The original station seen from the entrance off Old Warwick Road with the pedestrian underpass on the right
Close up showing motor taxis waiting on the upper level forecourt and canopy outside the main station buildings
Ref: gwrls239a
Anon
Close up showing motor taxis waiting on the upper level forecourt and canopy outside the main station buildings
Close up showing the pedestrian entrance to the subway leading to the main up and up excursion platforms
Ref: gwrls239b
Anon
Close up of the pedestrian entrance to the subway leading to the main up and up excursion platforms
Another view of the main station building with the First Class waiting room's bay window on the right
Ref: gwrls860
Anon
Another view of the main station building with the First Class waiting room's bay window on the right

Close up showing the parcel facilities which was in a separate building joined to the main building
Ref: gwrls860a
Anon
Close up showing the parcel facilities which was in a separate building joined to the main building
The parcels offices next to the main station building and parcels van together with a luggage cart
Ref: gwrls861
Anon
View of the parcels offices next to the main station building and a parcels van together with a luggage cart
The main entrance to Leamington Station seen from the 'upper approach road' to the station forecourt
Ref: gwrls859
Anon
The main entrance to Leamington Station seen from the 'upper approach road' to the station forecourt
Close up showing Newton's fish van, with its fish shaped sign over the windscreen, waiting outside the parcel office
Ref: gwrls859a
Anon
Close up of Newton's fish van, with its fish shaped sign over the windscreen, waiting outside the parcel office
Close up of the short canopy which projected out above the entrance to the booking office and the down platform
Ref: gwrls859b
Anon
Close up of the short canopy which projected out above the entrance to the booking office and the down platform

Close up looking towards the junction between Lower Avenue and Old Warwick Road with excavation work on the left
Ref: gwrls885a
NRM
Close up looking towards the Lower Avenue and Old Warwick Road junction with excavation work on the left
A GWR 0-6-0 'Armstrong Goods' thought to No 495 crosses the bridge carrying the line over Lower Avenue
Ref: gwrls863
Anon
A GWR 0-6-0 'Armstrong Goods' thought to No 495 crosses the bridge carrying the line over Lower Avenue

back to top

Platform and lineside views of Leamington's original station

A view of Leamington station looking towards Birmingham just after the turn of the century
Ref: gwrls850
NRM
A view of Leamington station looking towards Birmingham just after the turn of the century
Close up showing the glass cupola located above the junction of the down platform stairs with the subway
Ref: gwrls850a
NRM
Close up showing the glass cupola located above the junction of the down platform stairs with the subway
Close up showing the central portion of the up platform and the ad-hoc timber windscreen erected on the columns
Ref: gwrls850b
NRM
Close up showing the central portion of the up platform and the ad-hoc timber windscreen erected on the columns
Close up showing the Birmingham end of the down platform including the water column and goods shed
Ref: gwrls850c
NRM
Close up showing the Birmingham end of the down platform including the water column and goods shed
Close up view showing a variety of coaching stock stabled on the through lines and the signal box and water tank
Ref: gwrls850d
NRM
Close up showing a variety of coaching stock stabled on the through lines and the signal box and water tank

Close up showing the truncated roof of the original station's excursion train shed which lay adjacent to the goods loop
Ref: gwrls850e
NRM
Close up of the truncated roof of the original station's excursion train shed which lay adjacent to the goods loop
Close up showing the join where the platform was extended from very soon after building
Ref: gwrls850f
NRM
Close up showing the join where the platform was extended from very soon after building
View of the P & W gang lifting the middle sidings in preparation for laying the two through roads
Ref: gwrls242
RS Carpenter
View of the P & W gang lifting the middle sidings in preparation for laying the two through roads
Looking across to the down platform in the Birmingham direction with the refreshment room on the left
Ref: gwrls868
NRM
Looking across to the down platform in the Birmingham direction with the refreshment room on the left
Close up showing the rear of the refreshment room and the end of the remains of the old train shed
Ref: gwrls868a
NRM
Close up showing the rear of the refreshment room and the end of the remains of the old train shed

Close up showing the alterations to the old train shed which included a new canopy which sloped downwards
Ref: gwrls868b
NRM
Close up of the alterations to the old train shed which included a new canopy which sloped downwards
Looking towards London from the Warwick end of the down platform on a foggy day in the early 1930s
Ref: gwrls851
Gordon Coltas
Looking towards London from the Warwick end of the down platform on a foggy day in the early 1930s
Looking towards Birmingham with with a set of commuter coaching stock standing in the down platform
Ref: gwrls241
P Hopkins
Looking towards Birmingham with with a set of commuter coaching stock standing in the down platform
View of the up platform from the west end of the down platform with coaching stock seen standing in the up bay
Ref: gwrls852
L&GRP
View of the up platform from the west end of the down platform with coaching stock seen standing in the up bay
Close up showing the narrow width of the up platform which at this point also served the bay platform
Ref: gwrls852a
L&GRP
Close up showing the narrow width of the up platform which at this point also served the bay platform

The East end of the up platform showing the point where it changed from timber to brick construction
Ref: gwrls865
NRM
The East end of the up platform showing the point where it changed from timber to brick construction
Close up of the bookstall and refreshment room located towards the London end of the up platform
Ref: gwrls865a
Anon
Close up of the bookstall and refreshment room located towards the London end of the up platform
Close up showing the ticket inspector's booth next to the exit to the staircase leading down to the subway
Ref: gwrls865b
Anon
Close up showing the ticket inspector's booth next to the exit to the staircase leading down to the subway
Looking to London showing the rear of the up island platform with the up bay platform in the foreground
Ref: gwrls867
NRM
Looking to London showing the rear of the up island platform with the up bay platform in the foreground
Close up showing two GWR bench seats provided for passenger comfort and a hand operated fire pump
Ref: gwrls867b
NRM
Close up showing two GWR bench seats provided for passenger comfort and a hand operated fire pump

Close up showing the end of the bay platform and the remains of the 'excursion' shed roof
Ref: gwrls867a
NRM
Close up showing the end of the bay platform and the remains of the 'excursion' shed roof
View of the goods loop taken from the London end of the up platform looking towards Birmingham
Ref: gwrls822
Anon
View of the goods loop taken from the London end of the up platform looking towards Birmingham
A GWR' 1076' class 0-6-0ST is seen at the head of a short goods train standing adjacent to the water column
Ref: gwrls824
Anon
A GWR' 1076' class 0-6-0ST is seen at the head of a short goods train standing adjacent to the water column
A panoramic view of Leamington station from the Warwick end of the down platform looking towards London
Ref: gwrls238
P Hopkins
A panoramic view of the station from the Warwick end of the down platform looking towards London
The up platform showing that two sides of the island structure were used to handle passenger traffic
Ref: gwrls2082
J Alsop
The up platform showing that two sides of the island structure were used to handle passenger traffic

 Another view of the island structure which formed the up platform and bay platform showing a local service standing in the bay
Ref: gwrls2083
J Alsop
Another view of the up platform and bay platform showing a local service standing in the bay
An unidentified GWR 4-6-0 Saint Class locomotive stands at the down platform with an express for Snow Hill
Ref: gwrls2077
Millbrook House Ltd
An unidentified GWR 4-6-0 Saint Class locomotive stands at the down platform with an express for Snow Hill
Close up showing a GWR 2-6-0 43xx class with two slip coaches to be attached to a Paddington train
Ref: gwrls238a
Anon
Close up showing a GWR 2-6-0 43xx class with two slip coaches to be attached to a Paddington train
Close showing one of the station's water cranes located at the southern end of the up and bay platforms
Ref: gwrls2025a
R Preston-Hendry
Close showing one of the station's water cranes located at the southern end of the up and bay platforms

back to top

Rebuilding of the station viewed from Old Warwick Road

View of the steelwork for the main building and entrance to the subway to the down platform being erected
Ref: gwrls880
HJ Stretton-Ward
View of the steelwork for the main building and entrance to the subway to the down platform being erected
View of  for the new main station buildings and up platform canopy being erected in the background
Ref: gwrls222
G Coltas
View of for the new main station buildings and up platform canopy being erected in the background
View of the temporary booking office erected next to the passenger under pass during the initial stages of rebuilding
Ref: gwrls2075
Warwickshire Records Office
The temporary booking office erected next to the passenger under pass during the initial stages of rebuilding
View from Old Warwick Road of the station during the rebuilding of the main station building circa 1938
Ref: gwrls217
RS Carpenter
View from Old Warwick Road of the station during the rebuilding of the main station building circa 1938
View showing the demolition of the original station's main buildings located on the down platform is now complete
Ref: gwrls218
RS Carpenter
View showing the demolition of the original station's main buildings located on the down platform is now complete

View showing the new station building being built in parallel with the old structure being demolished circa 1938
Ref: gwrls214
G Coltas
View showing the new station building being built in parallel with the old structure being demolished circa 1938
View of the original passenger subway taken during the being converted in to a subway for the general public
Ref: gwrls223
RS Carpenter Collection
View of the original passenger subway taken during the being converted in to a subway for the general public
Close up showing the original passenger subway which accessed the up platform and the LNWR station
Ref: gwrls223a
G Coltas
Close up showing the original passenger subway which accessed the up platform and the LNWR station
View showing the excavation work required to construct both the down platform, the three storey station building and the station forecourt
Ref: gwrls221
G Coltas
View of the excavation work required to construct both the down platform and the three storey station building
Close up showing the remains of the station's original booking hall and the ladies waiting room and rest room
Ref: gwrls221a
RS Carpenter Collection
Close up showing the remains of the station's original booking hall and the ladies waiting room and rest room

Close up showing a Ruston Bucyrus face shovel excavating the basement of the new building and forecourt
Ref: gwrls221b
G Coltas
Close up showing a Ruston Bucyrus face shovel excavating the basement of the new building and forecourt
Looking east towards the High Street with the lower section of the forecourt being used as car parking for passengers
Ref: gwrls885
NRM
Looking east towards the High Street with the lower section of the forecourt being used as car parking for passengers
View of the new steel framed station building being erected as seen from the entrance nearest to Warwick
Ref: gwrls215
G Coltas
View of the new steel framed station building being erected as seen from the entrance nearest to Warwick
Another view of the re-building of the main station buildings viewed from Old Warwick Road
Ref: gwrls220
G Coltas
Another view of the re-building of the main station buildings viewed from Old Warwick Road
Close up showing the remains of Leamington station's original refreshment room and the contractors cabins
Ref: gwrls220a
RS Carpenter
Close up showing the remains of Leamington station's original refreshment room and the contractors cabins

View during construction clearly showing the different levels between the old and the new stations
Ref: gwrls216
G Coltas
View during construction clearly showing the different levels between the old and the new stations
Close up showing the three storey section of Leamington station's new building and the new entrance and canopy
Ref: gwrls216a
G Coltas
Close up showing the three storey section of Leamington station's new building and the new entrance and canopy

back to top

Rebuilding of the down platform

A 1936 view showing that the rebuilding of the station commenced at the Birmingham end of the down platform
Ref: gwrls2080
AT Locke
A 1936 view showing that the rebuilding of the station started at the Birmingham end of the down platform
Looking towards London showing both bay platforms at the Birmingham end of the station on 22nd March 1937
Ref: gwrls2092
Birmingham Post & Mail
Looking towards London showing both bay platforms at the Birmingham end of the station on 22nd March 1937
Close up showing the early 20th century modifications to the original platform which formed the bay platform
Ref: gwrls2092a
Birmingham Post & Mail
Close up showing the early 20th century modifications to the original platform which formed the bay platform
Close up showing the erection of Leamington's new canopies which provided substantial protection to passengers
Ref: gwrls2092b
Birmingham Post & Mail
Close up showing the erection of Leamington's new canopies which provided substantial protection to passengers
View of the down platform showing the main station structure being erected and the down platform canopy
Ref: gwrls881
NRM
View of the down platform showing the main station structure being erected and the down platform canopy

Close up showing Old Warwick Road and the entrance to the new forecourt still under construction
Ref: gwrls881a
NRM
Close up showing Old Warwick Road and the entrance to the new forecourt still under construction
Close up showing the late 19th century extension to the original down platform
Ref: gwrls881b
NRM
Close up showing a temporary wooden platform bridging the gap to join with the late 19th century extension
Looking towards the up platform showing the middle section of the train shed being demolished
Ref: gwrls224
G Coltas
Looking towards the up platform showing the middle section of the train shed being demolished

back to top

Rebuilding of the up platform

View of the up platform with its waiting rooms and lavatories which was the first section to be demolished
Ref: gwrls878
HJ Stretton-Ward
View of the up platform with its waiting rooms and lavatories which was the first section to be demolished
Close up showing workmen laying timber planking to the track and track bed between the up and down platforms
Ref: gwrls225a
G Coltas
Close up showing workmen laying timber planking to the track and track bed between the up and down platforms
View of the up platform showing the new canopy at the Warwick end whilst some of the original facilities are still in place
Ref: gwrls226
G Coltas
View of the up platform showing the new canopy whilst some of the original facilities are still in place
Close up showing the up platform's new waiting room and refreshment facilities being built under the canopy
Ref: gwrls226a
G Coltas
Close up showing the up platform's new waiting room and refreshment facilities being built under the canopy
Looking towards the up platform with the new waiting room, refreshment room and lavatories under construction
Ref: gwrls879
HJ Stretton-Ward
Looking towards the up platform with the new waiting room, refreshment room and lavatories under construction

An official photograph showing the rebuilding of the up platform with its buildings and canopy under construction in 1939
Ref: gwrls2528
Great Western Railway
An official photograph showing the up platform with its buildings and canopy under construction in 1939
View of the up platform with its waiting rooms and lavatories which was the first section to be demolished
Ref: gwrls2528a
Great Western Railway
Close up of the final section of the up platform being rebuilt with the steps to the station's underpass protected
Close up of the removal of the original station's steelwork located above the site the station's new underpass
Ref: gwrls2528b
Great Western Railway
Close up of the removal of the original station's steelwork located above the site the station's new underpass
Close up showing the rear elevation of the building located between the LNWR and GWR lines
Ref: gwrls2528c
Great Western Railway
Close up showing the rear elevation of the building located between the LNWR and GWR lines

back to top

External and internal views of Leamington's rebuilt main station building

Leamington station after its rebuilding by the GWR with the access road and enlarged forecourt to its front
Ref: gwrls874
WoW
Leamington station after its rebuilding by the GWR with the access road and enlarged forecourt to its front
View of the new station with the facade, constructed out of Portland stone, glistening in the bright sunshine
Ref: gwrls883
NRM
View of the new station with the facade, constructed out of Portland stone, glistening in the bright sunshine
An external view of the completed station and its forecourt shortly after the end of the Second World War
Ref: gwrls2039
AWV Mace
An external view of the completed station and its forecourt shortly after the end of the Second World War
Leamington station's new booking hall continuing the 1930s 'Art Deco' style seen throughout the new building
Ref: gwrls884
NRM
Leamington station's new booking hall continuing the 1930s 'Art Deco' style seen throughout the new building
The new passenger subway viewed from the booking hall with the down platform stairs to the left
Ref: gwrls882
NRM
The new passenger subway viewed from the booking hall with the down platform stairs to the left

back to top

Platform and lineside views of Leamington station's up platform

View of Leamington's newly rebuilt up platform with only the painting to complete on 27th October 1939
Ref: gwrls2126
NRM
View of Leamington's newly rebuilt up platform with only the painting to complete on 27th October 1939
Close up of the Birmingham end of the up platform showing the section still needing to be painted
Ref: gwrls2126a
NRM
Close up of the Birmingham end of the up platform showing the section still needing to be painted
Close up showing the London end of the up platform with the Carriage and Wagon department's building behind on the right
Ref: gwrls2126b
NRM
Close up showing the London end of the up platform with the C&W department's building behind on the right
Looking across from the down platform towards the London end of the up platform on 27th October 1939
Ref: gwrls2128
NRM
Looking across from the down platform towards the London end of the up platform on 27th October 1939
Close up showing the middle section of the station's new up platform and the lift used primarily for parcels traffic
Ref: gwrls2128a
NRM
Close up showing the middle section of the station's new up platform and the lift used primarily for parcels traffic

Close up showing the London end of the platform structure which housed the stairs from the subway
Ref: gwrls2128b
NRM
Close up showing the London end of the platform structure which housed the stairs from the subway
An external view looking towards Birmingham of the station's new refreshment room located in the centre of the up platform
Ref: gwrls2113
NRM
External view looking to Birmingham of the station's new refreshment room located on the up platform
An external view looking towards London of the station's new refreshment room located in the centre of the up platform
Ref: gwrls2112
NRM
External view looking towards London of the station's new refreshment room located on the up platform
View of the interior of Leamington station's up platform's refreshment room shortly after opening in October 1939
Ref: gwrls2138
NRM
View of the interior of Leamington station's up platform's refreshment room shortly after opening
Looking south along the goods loop line showing the Warwick end of the island platform with its 1947 extension
Ref: gwrls2134
NRM
Looking south along the goods loop line showing the Warwick end of the platform with its 1947 extension

Close up showing the 'bay' platform used by Birmingham services on the right with a solitary coach standing at the platform
Ref: gwrls2134a
NRM
Close up showing the 'bay' platform used by Birmingham services on the right with a solitary coach at the platform
Looking across from the down platform towards the Warwick end of the up platform in May 1963
Ref: gwrls2127
PJ Garland
Looking across from the down platform towards the Warwick end of the up platform in May 1963
Close up showing Leamington North Signal Box and to the right, the exchange sidings with the ex-LNWR railway
Ref: gwrls2127a
PJ Garland
Close up showing Leamington North Signal Box and to the right, the exchange sidings with the ex-LNWR railway
Looking south towards Banbury with Leamington South Signal Box in the middle distance circa 1952
Ref: gwrls2129
HJ Stretton-Ward
Looking south towards Banbury with Leamington South Signal Box in the middle distance circa 1952
View of the water crane located at the London end of Leamington station's up platform in July 1966
Ref: gwrls2097
C Capewell
View of the water crane located at the London end of Leamington station's up platform in July 1966

View of Leamington South Signal Box being stripped out after its closure during the late 1960s
Ref: gwrls2151
D Churchill
View of Leamington South Signal Box being stripped out after its closure during the late 1960s

back to top

Platform and lineside views of Leamington station's down platform

Looking north from the stairs along Leamington station's newly complete down platform towards Warwick
Ref: gwrls2135
NRM
Looking north from the stairs along Leamington station's newly complete down platform towards Warwick
Close up showing on the left the stairs to the subway and on the right a box containing train indicator signs
Ref: gwrls2135a
NRM
Close up showing on the left the stairs to the subway and on the right a box containing train indicator signs
Close up showing passengers waiting for a down service outside Leamington's new refreshment room
Ref: gwrls2135b
NRM
Close up showing passengers waiting for a down service outside Leamington's new refreshment room
Looking along the down platform from the Warwick end of the station with the refreshment room on the right
Ref: gwrls2132
NRM
Looking along the down platform from the Warwick end of the station with the refreshment room on the right
An external view of the station's new refreshment room located at the Birmingham end of the down platform
Ref: gwrls2109
NRM
External view of the station's new refreshment room located at the Birmingham end of the down platform

An interior view of the station's newly opened Art Deco style refreshment room on the down platform
Ref: gwrls2108
NRM
An interior view of the station's newly opened Art Deco style refreshment room on the down platform
Looking north from the London end of the down platform whilst a passenger train stands adjacent to the main station building
Ref: gwrls2131
Anon
Looking from the London end of the down platform whilst a train stands adjacent to the main station building
Looking from the up platform showing the Warwick end of the down platform on 3rd September 1955
Ref: gwrls2133
HF Wheeler
Looking from the up platform showing the Warwick end of the down platform on 3rd September 1955
Close up showing the 1947 remodelled down platform which included a new water crane, drain and brazier
Ref: gwrls2133a
HF Wheeler
Close up showing the 1947 remodelled down platform which included a new water crane, drain and brazier
Looking northwards from the Warwick end of the down platform showing the goods shed on the left
Ref: gwrls2130
MC Christensen
Looking northwards from the Warwick end of the down platform showing the goods shed on the left

Close up showing on the left the bay platform and Leamington's good shed which was erected circa 1903
Ref: gwrls2130a
MC Christensen
Close up showing on the left the bay platform and Leamington's good shed which was erected circa 1903
Close up showing the  former LNWR signal box and the ex-LNWR sidings which located on the other side of the railings
Ref: gwrls2130b
MC Christensen
Close up showing the former LNWR signal box and the ex-LNWR sidings which located on the other side of the railings
View showing the junction of the goods loop line with the main line adjacent to Leamington South Signal Box
Ref: gwrls2136
RC Riley
View showing the junction of the goods loop line with the main line adjacent to Leamington South Signal Box
Looking towards London from the Birmingham end of the down platform with new two DMUs in both platforms
Ref: gwrls227
G Coltas
Looking towards London from the Birmingham end of the down platform with new two DMUs in both platforms

back to top

Leamington station's goods yard and sidings

Close up of a goods train passing through the station on the goods loop which ran at the rear of the station
Ref: gwrls837a
Anon
Close up of a goods train passing through the station on the goods loop which ran at the rear of the station
A GWR 'Standard Goods' 0-6-0 stands at the Birmingham end of the station with a train comprising empty coal wagons
Ref: gwrls848
Anon
GWR 'Standard Goods' 0-6-0 stands at the Birmingham end of the station with a train comprising empty coal wagons
Looking towards Warwick with the water tank in the distance just beyond Leamington North signal box
Ref: gwrls846
Anon
Looking towards Warwick with the water tank in the distance just beyond Leamington North signal box
A panoramic view of the northern approach to Leamington  station looking south
Ref: gwrls237
Anon
A panoramic view of the northern approach to Leamington station looking south
Close up showing the approach road to the original locomotive shed and the standard GWR water tank
Ref: gwrls237b
Anon
Close up showing the goods shed and yard which lay on the Birmingham side of Leamington station

Close up showing the goods shed and yard which lay on the Birmingham side of Leamington station
Ref: gwrls237a
Anon
Close up showing the approach road to the original locomotive shed and the standard GWR water tank
Close up showing Leaminton Spa's goods yard and sidings and a rake of five cattle wagons
Ref: gwrls237c
Anon
Close up showing Leaminton Spa's goods yard and sidings and a rake of five cattle wagons
Close up showing Private Owner wagons standing in the sidings behind the LNWR's Leamington Avenue station
Ref: gwrls897a
HJ Stretton-Ward
Close up showing Private Owner wagons standing in the sidings behind the LNWR's Leamington Avenue station
A close up view showing the remains of Leamington station's goods yard, sidings and goods shed circa 1980
Ref: gwrls2202a
D Cooknell
A close up view showing the remains of Leamington station's goods yard, sidings and goods shed circa 1980

back to top

Rebuilding of bridge across the roadways at the junction of High Street and Clement Street, Leamington

Extract from Great Western Magazine Vol. XIX. No.5 May 1907

High Street Bridge: Leamington

The Bridge carrying the Oxford and Birmingham Line across the roadways at the junction of High Street and Clement Street, Leamington, was recently rebuilt after an existence of fifty-five years, the structure displaced having been provided at the construction of the line by Brunel about 1852. The old bridge consisted of wrought iron plate main girders with iron cross girders and barrow rail flooring, support being afforded to the superstructure by ten substantial cast iron columns rising from the footpath below. Nine of these columns are dispensed with in the new bridge, (a single column being provided for intermediate support at the apex of the angle of the two roads), naturally with considerable advantage to the user of the busy thoroughfares spanned.

Special difficulties were encountered in the work due to two conflicting causes – the proximity of the London and North Western Railway bridge and the necessity for minimising as much as possible interference with the traffic on the roadways. The span of the new outer girder on the up side is 150 feet, its weight 60 tons: and owing to insufficient space for staging on site, it was built up on land adjoining the new engine shed, half a mile away, whence it travelled whole to position for fixing. The forking of the roads entailed a double span on the down side, and the two outer girders, having a span of 100 feet each, were built on stages adjoining the bridge and traversed into position. The two centre girders, the inner ends of which take their bearings upon the column before referred to, were delivered on the ground intact by the manufacturers. Work on the ground was completed in four weeks, the up line being interlaced with the down while the up side was reconstructed and the arrangements reversed for the reconstruction of the down line portion.

The design and contract for the new bridge were prepared in the Engineer's Office, Paddington, by the Ironwork Assistant, Mr F Gleadow, The manufacture of the steelwork, 330 tons in weight, was undertaken by Messrs Eastwood & Swingler, of Derby: and the work of erection at site was carried out under supervision of the Divisional Engineer, Mr LR Wood, Wolverhampton, practically the whole of the riveting being done by pneumatic riveting machine.

Robert Ferris

A pair of GWR steam cranes, with a girder suspended between them, are seen stabled in the carriage sidings
Ref: gwrls2084
J Alsop
A pair of GWR steam cranes, with a girder suspended between them, are seen stabled in the carriage sidings
Close up showing one end of the short train and the method adopted to stable the girder during transit
Ref: gwrls2084a
J Alsop
Close up showing one end of the short train and the method adopted to stable the girder during transit
Another close up showing the GWR travelling crane already in steam and ready to move to the site of the bridge
Ref: gwrls2084b
J Alsop
Another close up showing the GWR travelling crane in steam having just arrived from the site of the bridge
View of bridge replacement works being undertaken by the GWR in the centre of Leamington
Ref: gwrls2086
J Alsop
View of bridge replacement works being undertaken by the GWR in the centre of Leamington
Close up showing workmen forming the deck to the new bridge together with adding other fixings to the bow girder
Ref: gwrls2086a
J Alsop
Close up showing workmen forming the deck to the new bridge together with adding other fixings to the bow girder

Close up showing a GWR 0-6-0 Deans Goods locomotive standing at the head of an engineer's train
Ref: gwrls2086b
J Alsop
Close up showing a GWR 0-6-0 Deans Goods locomotive standing at the head of an engineer's train
Another view of the unidentified GWR 0-6-0 Dean goods locomotive at the head of the short engineer's train
Ref: gwrls2531
GWR Magazine
Another view of the unidentified GWR 0-6-0 Dean goods locomotive at the head of the short engineer's train
View of the erection of the railway bridge over the junction of High Street and Clement Street, Leamington
Ref: gwrls2095
WoW
View of the erection of the railway bridge over the junction of High Street and Clement Street, Leamington
View of the original Brunel designed bridge built in 1852 as seen from the Old Warwick Road end of the High Street
Ref: gwrls2529
GWR Magazine
View of the original Brunel designed bridge built in 1852 as seen from the Old Warwick Road end of the High Street
View of the replacement bridge built in 1907 as seen from the Old Warwick Road end of the High Street
Ref: gwrls2530
GWR Magazine
View of the replacement bridge built in 1907 as seen from the Old Warwick Road end of the High Street

A group of GWR Permanent Way men are seen standing on the bridge after it has been completed
Ref: gwrls2094
WoW
A group of GWR Permanent Way men are seen standing on the bridge after it has been completed
An official Great Western Railway photograph taken in December 1903 of the Engineering Department Van No 14938
Ref: misc_equip202
M Clemens
An official GWR photograph taken in December 1903 of the Engineering Department Van No 14938
Photograph of Great Western Railway Steam Crane No 5 with Match Truck No 5 taken in May 1932
Ref: misc_equip203
W Beard
Photograph of Great Western Railway Steam Crane No 5 with Match Truck No 5 taken in May 1932

back to top

Miscellaneous

Horse drawn cab and motor taxi stand side by side outside the subway prior to the rebuilding
Ref: gwrls240
Anon
Horse drawn cab and motor taxi stand side by side outside the subway prior to the rebuilding
The last horse-drawn cart used for goods delivery by the ex-GWR station in Leamington Spa
Ref: gwrls858
WoW
The last horse-drawn cart used for goods delivery by the ex-GWR station in Leamington Spa
Another view of the last horse drawn cart working at Leamington station seen on 25th August 1949
Ref: gwrls875
WoW
Another view of the last horse drawn cart working at Leamington station seen on 25th August 1949
One of the wagons used in special trains to move the livestock and equipment for Circuses and Fairs
Ref: gwrls1952
DM Lee
One of the wagons used in special trains to move the livestock and equipment for Circuses and Fairs
Close up showing a variety of advertising posters displayed on the bridge abutment and wall in Lower Avenue
Ref: gwrls863a
Anon
Close up showing a variety of advertising posters displayed on the bridge abutment and wall in Lower Avenue

Close up showing the evolution of the water cranes located at the London end of the up platform
Ref: gwrls249a
RS Carpenter
Close up showing the evolution of the water cranes located at the London end of the up platform
Close up showing the middle of the down platform whilst construction of the new station building continued
Ref: gwrls175a
G Coltas
Close up showing the middle of the down platform whilst construction of the new station building continued
Close up of open wagons stabled on sidings sited between the LNWR station and the GWR's up loop line
Ref: gwrls166a
G Coltas
Close up of open wagons stabled on sidings sited between the LNWR station and the GWR's up loop line
Close up showing a train of both covered and open wagons passing through the station on the goods loop line
Ref: gwrls168a
G Coltas
Close up showing a train of both covered and open wagons passing through the station on the goods loop line
Close up showing the Warwick end of Leamington's original station building located on the down platform
Ref: gwrls168b
G Coltas
Close up showing the Warwick end of Leamington's original station building located on the down platform

Close up showing a set of suburban coaching stock standing on one of the roads adjacent to the up goods loop
Ref: gwrls205a
G Coltas
Close up showing a set of suburban coaching stock standing on one of the roads adjacent to the up goods loop
View of the ex-GWR guards van attached to the rear of an up goods train taking the avoiding loop line around the station
Ref: gwrls2146
HJ Stretton-Ward
View of the ex-GWR guards van attached to the rear of an up goods train on the loop line around the station
A scan of an original Goods consignment notice from 1933 for the return of an empty PO wagon
Ref: gwrls1666
GWR Magazine
A scan of an original Goods consignment notice from 1933 for the return of an empty PO wagon

back to top

Maps and Layout Drawings

General maps and schematics

A 1925 map of Leamington and Warwick showing the juxtaposition of the GWR and LNWR stations
Ref: gwrls2110
Ordnance Survey
A 1925 map of Leamington and Warwick showing the juxtaposition of the GWR and LNWR stations
Schematic plan showing the historical development of the GWR and the LNWR in Leamington
Ref: gwrls2096
J Copsey
Schematic plan showing the historical development of the GWR and the LNWR in Leamington
Drawing of the constructional details of the centre girder of a bowed balloon-topped wrought iron bridge
Ref: gwrls2054
Birmingham Library (LS7-683)
Drawing of the constructional details of the centre girder of a bowed balloon-topped wrought iron bridge

1852 Map

Map showing Leamington's GWR station, goods yard and shed with avoiding lines shortly after opening in 1852
Ref: gwrls2106
Ordnance Survey
Map showing Leamington's GWR station, goods yard and shed with avoiding lines shortly after opening in 1852

1886 and pre-1900 Maps

Part of the 1886 OS map showing the location and layout of the original Leamington Engine Shed
Ref: gwrls2141
Ordnance Survey
Part of the 1886 OS map showing the location and layout of the original Leamington Engine Shed
Part of the 1886 OS map showing the northern approach to Leamington's original station and goods yard
Ref: gwrls2143
Ordnance Survey
Part of the 1886 OS map showing the northern approach to the original station and goods yard
Part of the 1886 OS map showing the southern approaches to Leamington's original station
Ref: gwrls2142
Ordnance Survey
Part of the 1886 OS map showing the southern approaches to Leamington's original station
Part of the 1886 OS map showing the southern approaches to Leamington's original station
Ref: gwrls2524
Ordnance Survey
A pre-1900 Ordnance Survey map showing the approach and layout of the two stations serving Leamington

1925 Maps

A 1925 Map showing the proximity of the GWR and LNWR stations and the trackwork linking the two companies
Ref: gwrls2040
Ordnance Survey
Map showing the proximity of the GWR and LNWR stations and the trackwork linking the two companies
A 1925 map showing the northern approach to Leamington station, the goods yard and the exchange sidings
Ref: gwrls2045
Ordnance Survey
Map showing the northern approach to Leamington station, the goods yard and the exchange sidings
A 1925 map showing the layout of Leamington shed and the carriage sidings which were adjacent to the line to Paddington
Ref: gwrls2044
Ordnance Survey
Map showing Leamington shed and the carriage sidings which were adjacent to the main line to Paddington

1939 Maps

Part of the 1939 OS map showing the northern approach and sidings to Leamington station
Ref: gwrls2144
Ordnance Survey
Part of the 1939 OS map showing the northern approach and sidings to Leamington station
Part of the 1939 OS map showing the GWR and LNWR stations and the southern approaches
Ref: gwrls2145
Ordnance Survey
Part of the 1939 OS map showing the GWR and LNWR stations and the southern approaches
Part of the 1939 OS map showing the GWR and LNWR lines south of Leamington station and the junction
Ref: gwrls2140
Ordnance Survey
Part of the 1939 OS map showing the GWR and LNWR lines south of Leamington station and the junction
Part of the 1939 OS map showing Leamington's second engine shed located between the LNWR's and GWR lines
Ref: gwrls2125
Ordnance Survey
Part of the 1939 OS map showing Leamington's second engine shed located between the LNWR's and GWR lines

back to top

Leaminton Station (163) Locomotives at Leamington (209) Leamington Shed (65)