LMS Route: Rugby to Tamworth
Trent Valley Lineside - Newbold on Avon: lnwr_nupa1172
LMS 4P 4-4-0 Compound No 1154 is seen approaching Newbold
Troughs whilst at the head of an up express service to Euston in August 1939.
Built by the North British Locomotive Company in September 1925 No 1154
remained in service until August 1955 when it was withdrawn from Trafford Park
shed in Manchester to be scrapped immediately by Derby works. One hundred and
ninety five locomotives were built by the LMS which were based on the Midland
Railway's 1000 Class.
They were almost identical to the 45 Midland locomotives the
most obvious difference being that they had a 6' 9" driving wheel diameter
compared to the 7' 0" diameter used on the Midland locomotives. Another
difference, albeit adopted on later LMS locomotives, was the transfer of the
driver from the right of the cab to the left-hand side to fall in line with
other constituent companies of the LMS. The LMS continued the Midland numbering
system by adding new locomotives from 1045 to 1199 and then started again in
the lower block of numbers of 900-39. After nationalisation in 1948, British
Railways added 40000 to their numbers so they became 40900-39 and 41045-199.
None has survived to preservation, though the first of the Midland 1000 Class
engines has been preserved as part of the National Collection in York.