LMS Route: Rugby to Tamworth
Trent Valley Lineside: lnwr_tvl1224
British Railways built Co-Co No 10001 is seen piloting
ex-LMS Co-Co No 10000 at the head of the up Royal Scot express. Both were built
at Derby with No 10000 having its maiden run in November 1947 to ensure the
credit for the first mainline diesel locomotives in Great Britain went to the
LMS, literally weeks before the company was nationalised on 1st January 1948.
After several weeks of proving trials No 10000 entered service on the Midland
route in February 1948 to be joined in July 1948 by its sister No 10001. Both
locos were allocated to Willesden shed in London with No 10001 remaining in
service until it was withdrawn in 1962 to be scrapped in February 1968 by Cox
& Danks of North Acton. The original class member No 10000 lasted four more
years being withdrawn in 1966 to be scrapped in January 1968 by Cashmores of
The two locomotives were built using the EE16SVT 1600 hp
diesel engine with electric transmission, in association with English Electric
and the Vulcan Foundry, with whom the LMS had had a long working relationship.
They operated over a number of routes out of St Pancras or Euston but their low
power outputs meant they were less than inspiring when used on heavily loaded
or express services. In March 1953 they were both transferred to the Southern
Region of British Railways to allow direct comparison to be made between them
and the SR's 10201, 10202 & 10203 and remained there until spring 1955.
They (and the SR locomotives) were sent to Derby where they were overhauled and
received green livery and then run side by side on London Midland Region
duties. Courtesy of 'Wikipedia'.