Close up of image 'lnwra1492' showing Aston shed's coaling
plant and ash disposal plant built by the LMS during the 1930s as part of their
modernisation programme. The new equipment was installed as part of the LMS
Locomotive Running Department's modernisation programme initiated by EJH Lemon,
Operating Vice President of the London Midland & Scottish Railway Company
(LMSR), and a number of his officers. The programme was entitled the 'Motive
Power Area Locomotive Supply, Repair, Concentration and Garage Scheme'.
Inaugurated in 1933, the scheme was to eventually cost over £1,000,000
and to involve the complete reorganisation of more than fifty major sheds. The
central idea behind the modernisation programme was that locomotives should
follow a logical sequence when coming on shed for servicing. Ideally, the
disposal process would be the following:
Nicknamed the 'cafeteria system' the efficiency of all the separate activities was to be maximised by mechanisation. Coal and ash plants, such those as seen above, were to be appropriate in size and number to the importance of the shed together with the installation of larger vacuum operated turntables. Suitable up-to-date machinery for running and emergency repairs was also to be purchased with proper facilities to accommodate them being built.