Birmingham New Street Station: lnwrbns_str1772
Looking from the East end of Platform 6, formerly Platform
3, towards a smoke filled Worcester Street tunnel with the former South
Staffordshire Bays on the left and New Street No 1 Signal Box on the right. New
Street No 1 Signal Cabin was a large 60 lever frame cabin and needed to be
double manned during the daytime with one 'bobby' operating the levers whilst
the other wrote each event in the book and looked after the block instruments.
New Street No 1 Signal Cabin controlled half the length of the former LNWR
portion of New Street and was linked via a train describer to both Proof House
Junction Signal Box on the line to the south and to New Street No 2 Signal
Cabin its 'Midland' equivalent signal cabin on the 1885 extension. An ex-LMS
2-6-2T locomotive can just be seen on the left standing at No 1 platform with a
local stopping train to Aston.