Birmingham New Street Station: lnwrbns_str1865
View of the passenger footbridge in the original portion of
New Street with building work still evident on Platform 3 next to Queens Drive
in September 1885. The footbridge is now a little over ten years old and the
lattice steelwork is covered with advertisements on either side of the bridge.
The railways were very aware of the potential earning power of advertisements
and advertising boards covering any free standing space was a common sight from
at least the 1860s. On the structure to the left can be seen the letter 'B'
indicating that the East side of Platform 1 was designated 'B' whilst the West
side was designated 'A'.