Birmingham New Street Station: lnwrbns_str1883
View from the former LNWR parcels sidings located at the
East end of New Street station showing the final stages of the removal of EA
Cowpers magnificent roof on 31st December 1947. In the foreground the new steel
framing is being erected to provide canopies over Platform 4, 5 and 6. The
removal of the once largest single span roof of its age was to be complicated
by the addition of the extra ties provided in 1906 to strengthen the roof after
the collapse of a similar structure in 1906.