Birmingham New Street Station: lnwrbns_str401
View from New Street No 1 Signal Box looking towards the
Queens Hotel with the two bay platforms Nos 1 and 2 on the right and Platform
3, 4 and 5 to the left on 9th July 1954. The majesty that once caused the
station to be named 'Grand Central Station' has gone with the removal of the
roof. The utilitarian flat-roofed canopies on bare steel frames only offer
inclement weather protection and none of the character of its 1850s forebear.
Ex-LMS 5XP 4-6-0 Jubilee No 45738 'Samson' stands at the head of the 10 20am up
express to Euston whilst ex-LMS 4F 0-6-0 No 44512 and an unidentified ex-LMS
2-6-4T stand on the two middle roads of the station with empty coaching stock.
Built at Crewe works in November 1936 No 45738 remained in service until
February 1963 when it was withdrawn from Kingmoor shed in Carlisle to be
scrapped during February 1964 by Crewe works. Designed by Fowler and built at
Crewe works in June 1928, No 44512 remained in service until February 1964 when
it was withdrawn from Gorton shed to be scrapped in November 1964 by A Loom of
Spondon near Derby.