Birmingham New Street Station: lnwrbns_str430
A post-Second World War view showing the Queen's hotel and
New Street station's entrance accessed from Stephenson Street. The hotel had by
the 1920s been extended to accommodate 150 bedrooms and public function rooms
including the Warwick and the Dudley rooms. The original railings
were by now long gone and the entrance to the hotel and station was now
principally used as a taxi rank and for cars and taxis to drop off passengers.
The view above shows taxis waiting in two ranks and still portrays a time when
traffic levels on the streets were low and the few people who could afford
private cars were able to travel in near empty streets. 19 March 1954.