Ex-LMS 2-8-0 8F No 48755 is see at the head of an up goods train as it passes Warwick Road goods yard. Built as LNER No 3550 at Doncaster Plant to Lot 1556 in October 1946 it was one of 68 locomotives ordered for the LNER for their own operational purposes under an agreement with the Ministry of War Transport. Not to be confused with others built by all of the big four for the War Department, all but one of the 68 were transferred from the LNER to the LMS just before nationalisation in 1948. The remaining locomotive LNER No 3554 was transferred in January and therefore technically was a British Railways inter-regional transfer. Had No 48755 carried its British Railways Eastern Region running number it would have been 63554. Lasting in service until September 1966 when it was withdrawn from Saltley shed and was scrapped during June 1967 by G Cohen of Kettering.
Photographed by J Hyde © Steam Archive