With steam leaking from its valve chest ex-LNWR 4-6-0 POW class No 25674 'Scott' is seen at the head of a local Rugby to Birmingham passenger service entering Coventry station's down platform. Despite having a five letter name 'Scott' the nameplate borne by the locomotive was a standard size on all Prince of Wales class of locomotives. This class of engine often worked through to Leamington on a train from Stafford, the same service which brought 'Queen of the Belgians' and other Prince of Wales locomotives to Warwick shed. The locomotive bears the No '25674' on its cab side because it has been placed on the 'duplicate' list. Previously bearing its LMS No 5674 the number '2' was added as a prefix to make way for the new LMS standard engines being introduced first by Fowler and then by Stanier - the Scots, Patriots, Jubilees and Black 5s. Built by the North British Locomotive Company in January 1916 as LNWR No 1132 it received its LMS running number 5674 in April 1926 and lasted in service a little under ten more years before being withdrawn in February 1936 to be scrapped by Crewe works later in the same year.
Photographed by HW Robinson © Steam Archive