·  LMS  ·  GWR  ·  LNER  ·  Misc  ·  Stations  ·  What's New  ·  Video  ·  Guestbook  ·  About

LMS Route: Rugby to Wolverhampton
LMS Route: Nuneaton to Leamington

Coventry Shed: lnwrcov4130a

Close up showing that despite it being sixteen years since the L&NWR ceased to exist as a separate entity, nothing of note has changed

Close up of image 'lnwrcov4130' showing that despite it being sixteen years since the L&NWR ceased to exist as a separate entity, nothing of note has changed. Adjacent to Coventry No 1 Signal Cabin appears to be the shed's coal stack. It was the policy of the company to buy as much coal as they could during the summer months when prices were low and then use it during the winter period. The practice of stacking coal was very labour intensive requiring it be handled at least two more times than would be the case. The erection of the stack was akin to drystone walling as it required the outer face to be built with blocks of coal in a manner which caused them to interlock. There was a maximum time the coal could be kept in stacks before it deteriorated so this was duly logged and managed.

Mike Hollick of the LNWR Society writes, 'The extra carriage sidings were authorised by the L.M.S. Traffic Committee on 24th October 1928, as follows: The Chief General Superintendant recommended that additional carriage siding accomodation, together with the necessary platforming, water supply and gas filling equipment, be provided at Coventry as indicated on plan no. 48931, at an estimated cost of £4,492. The carrying out of the scheme will facilitate traffic operations in the Coventry Down Yard by liberating for their legitimate use sidings which, under present circumstances, have to be utilised for the stabling of coaching stock owing to the inadequacy of the existing carriage siding accomodation, and will also enable economies in engine time to be effected, which, calculated at the rate of 10/9d. per hour represent £800 per annum. Approved and ordered to be referred to the Board.

I have not yet traced the date they were brought into use but it was reported to the Committee on 25th May 1932 that:

Coventry - additional carriage sidings Authorised expenditure £4,492. Actually expended £3,680. Saving £812.
Decreases: The site was used as a tip for ashes, etc. and labour only was charged for filling up - £732. Considerable alterations to existing points and crossings were found to be unnecessary - £405 Contingencies not required - £534 Increases: Lighting costs more than estimated - £546 Tenants Compensation etc. - £313.

Which tends to indicate they came into use in Spring 1932'.