A 1930s view of Coventry shed as rebuilt with wide square doors to replace the earlier arched doorways viewed from the carriage sidings. On shed are a typical group of engines, LMS 4-4-0 4P 'Compound' No 1172 for local passenger workings, and an unidentified ex- LNWR 0-8-0 'Super D' for freight workings. The asthmatic wheeze, and clanking of big ends, from these LNWR locos was very much a part of the scene. The low platforms between the carriage sidings were for the benefit of the carriage cleaners. The shed was opened in 1866 as a two-road structure: the right hand bay, with an extra two lines, was added in 1897. The low ramp up to the coaling stage on the left was the only concession to lightening the task of coaling engines. But it was still a long way short of bringing the floor of the coal wagons anywhere near the top of a locomotive's tender or bunker. LMS 4-4-0 No 1172 was built in November 1925 by the Vulcan Foundry and was to remain service until August 1957 having been renumbered by BR as No 41172 in February 1949.