LMS Route: Birmingham New Street to Nuneaton
Arley Tunnel: mrat1875
A 1900 photograph of Arley Railway Tunnel's repair gang led
by John Stain, the MR's Charge Hand. He is the tall man with the bowler hat and
beard, who subsequently died in 1904 following a stroke while working in this
tunnel. He is buried just inside the gates of St Wilfrids churchyard. At
this time, the tunnel entrance lay much closer to Arley; it was opened out into
a cutting in the 1940s to overcome damage from colliery subsidence.