LMS Route: Evesham to Birmingham
Kings Heath Station: mrkh745
Ex-Midland Railway outside curved frame Kirtley 2-4-0 No 20002
is seen leaving Kings Heath for Camp Hill in June 1935. The Kirtley designed
locomotive is the oldest surviving Midland Railway locomotive and began life
hauling express passenger trains to Kings Cross, the London terminus of the
Midland Railway until St Pancras Station was built. A member of the Midland
Railway's Class 156, No 20002 has been rebuilt at various dates and finally
ended her days at Nottingham in 1947 as station pilot after 81 years service.
Originally built as Midland Railway No 158, No 20002 was subsequently
renumbered as No 158A and then again in 1907 when it was renumbered as Midland
Railway No 2. The LMS renumbered it on its duplicate list in 1934 by adding
20000 so that it became No 20002 which it carried until it was withdrawn in
July 1947 from Derby Works to be preserved. In 1975 it moved to the Midland
Railway Centre at Butterley, Near Derby.