LMS Route: Evesham to Birmingham
Kings Norton Locomotives: mrknlms227
Ex-MR 2P 4-4-0 No 429 stands at Kings Norton station's
original up platform during the rebuilding of the station in February 1925. The
LMS followed MR livery practice in the early days of grouping by displaying the
crest on the cabside with the running number on the tender. This was intended
to assist the 'bobbies' in the signal box to confirm the locomotive's number at
night and in poor weather. However this practice ceased because the locomotive
would take longer going through the works when under repair than its tender.
Built by Sharp Stewart to a MR class 483 design in February 1893 No 429
remained in service just long enough to be included on British Railway's
register being withdrawn from Nottingham shed in June 1950 for scrapping.