LMS Route: Birmingham New Street to Nuneaton
Birmingham New Street to Tamworth
Lawley Street Goods Depot: mrls305
A posed photo taken on 11th July 1910 of the Landor Street
entrance to the goods shed and a variety of road vehicles. The posters on the
wall either side of the gate advertise various holiday destinations including
Blackpool, Buxton and Yarmouth. The only motor lorry in the picture has been
placed at the front and in the centre of the vehicles waiting to depart.
Motorised transport was only just being introduced at this time. The classic
pose of the bobby on the right, hands on hips and looking towards the
photographer, strengthen the view that this was a posed publicity picture. The
photograph's negative has been doctored to update the name of the depot for
additional publicity purposes. Careful examination of the depot's name on the
building shows that the term LMS has been inserted inlieu of
Midland on the signage of both walls.