Looking towards Saltley showing the extensive sidings provided in front of Lawley Street Goods & Grain Warehouse. Taken the same day as image 'mrls303' this view shows Lawley Street 'B' Signal Box from the warehouse side and also shows the MR Johnson 0-6-0T half-cab running tender first back towards the marshalling sidings where the train would be taken on to Washwood Heath sidings for onward transit. When moving vans and wagons within the yard guard vans were not required but would be added when the wagons were marshalled for onward transit.
Lawley Street Goods & Grain Warehouse was located at the New Street end of the depot in the 'vee' between the London & Birmingham Railway and Grand Junction Railway route. The sidings in front of the warehouse as seen above were constrained on two sides by the River Rea and the Camp Hill line and was located at the end of a 1200 yard approach from Duddeston Road Junction. By 1913 the Midland Railway had constructed a new line alongside the from the Camp Hill line to replace the original viaduct which resulted in the Derby line to Birmingham 'burrowing' under the L&B line. This reduced the bottleneck at Gloucester Junction caused by Midland Railway trains crossing on the level to gain access to their side of New Street station.