LMS Route: Birmingham New Street to Nuneaton
Nuneaton Abbey Street Station: mrna1088
Ex-LMS 8F 2-8-0 No 48713 runs light engine tender first over
the A444 on its way to pick up its train in Abbey Street sidings in early 1966.
Based at the former LNWR shed in Nuneaton, it has crossed under the West Coast
Main Line by using the line connecting the turntable with the Leicester line.
It has then reversed at Midland Junction and is now reversing back to Abbey
Street sidings. Built in July 1944 by the Southern Railway's Brighton Works to
an LNER order, it was variously numbered by the LNER as 7659, 3108 and 3508. In
1946 it was sold by the LNER to the LMS becoming LMS No 8713 and then when
taken into British Railways stock in 1948, it was renumbered as No 48713. The
locomotive had only just been transferred from Bescot shed in January 1966 but
within two months it was withdrawn for scrapping.