Ex-MR 2P 4-4-0 No 40396 is seen, with others, standing in the stowage sidings opposite Water Orton's goods yard in March 1962. This siding was once the cattle and loading dock. Built at Derby in 1891 as MR No 396 to the design of SW Johnson it was rebuilt at Derby into its final form with a superheated Diagram G7 boiler in 1923. An ex-Worcester and Saltley engine, it was withdrawn from Burton shed (17B) in February 1961.
Paul Sankey was kind enough to supply two photos of ex-MR 4-4-0 No 40396 being cut up on site by a local contractor on 29th April 1962. The name on the crane appears not to be Cohens who are stated as being the contractors but this might just be a hired crane brought in either for this job or any other.