Warwick station was opened on 1st October 1852 as one of the
original stations on the Broad Gauge route between Oxford and Birmingham and is
located approximately half a mile from the town centre. The station was also
used in steam days for holding the banking locomotive required to assist heavy
trains up Hatton Bank. The main goods yard was located on the up side on the
other side of the bridge carrying the railway over the Coventry Road. The goods
yard was accessed off Coventry Road and was equipped with both a goods shed and
Warwick hosted the Royal Agricultural Show in 1859 and again
in June 1892. For this second show, new sidings and ground frames were added on
the down side about a mile north of the station, at Capes Yard and extra
platform length and a temporary platform built on the down side of the station
to accommodate the expected additional traffic. This increased length of the
bay platform line, but in May 1894 a fire caused significant damage to the
station and when it was rebuilt the end section of the bay platform line was
filled-in reducing the bay's length and allowing the new down platform
buildings to be extended. At the same time the main down platform was also
further extended on the northern side. At the same time a siding was
constructed to serve the gasworks sidings which lay a little beyond Capes
The station originally had two signal boxes, which had both
been constructed in 1884. For the Royal Agricultural Show extensions, an
additional ground frame was installed at Capes Yard and the frame in the North
Signal Box was also replaced. These alterations came into operation in May
1892. On 27th June 1909, the original two Signal Boxes and the Capes Yard
ground frame were replaced with a new brick built (type 7D) Signal box behind
the up platform and two new four lever ground frames in cabins. The new Signal
Box had a three bar horizontal tappet frame with 52 levers at 4 inch centres.
The North Ground Frame was located on the down side in the middle of Capes
Yard, while the South Ground Frame was located on the up side at the southern
end of the Main Goods Yard.
In May 1911 the up relief siding was extended to hold 72
wagons in addition to a locomotive and brake van. This was later converted to a
loop in June 1944 and taken out of use on 26th November 1967.
In July 1931 the Royal Agricultural Show was held at Warwick
for the third time and at Capes Yard four additional sidings, each
accommodating 22 wagons, were constructed with a double sided platform 700 foot
long by 35 foot wide between the central pair. See the transcript of the Great
Western Railway Magazine article at warwick-royal-show.htm for more details.
These sidings and the platform were taken out of use in April 1961 and removed
in July that year.
Over the first half of the twentieth century the sidings
carried an increasing amount of coal from 5,750 tons in 1900, to 14,250 tons in
1947, although this rapidly decreased as the gasworks closed in 1952 (note the
Gas Works siding is recorded as being taken out of use on 13th June 1965). The
main goods yard officially closed on 11th November 1963, although most of the
sidings had been taken out of use between 1955 and April 1961 and the South
Ground Frame was removed in April 1961. On the opposite side of the running
lines at this southern end of the station, the down relief siding was retained
until 9th June 1968. The Cape Yard lasted a little longer, being closed on 31st
January 1969. All the down side sidings here and the North Ground Frame were
taken out of use on 3rd May 1969.
The main access to the station was off Coventry Road with a
long drive up to the down platform which had the contained the main
accommodation. Access could also be achieved via Woodcote Road to the up
platform. Whilst both platforms are on the level with the surrounding area the
land is lower towards Leamington allowing the two platforms to be connected by
an underpass. The up platform for London is numbered platform one and the down
platform for Birmingham and Stratford upon Avon is numbered platform two.
Use the links below to access the
External views of Warwick Station
Platform views of Warwick station
The Royal Show
Extract from Great Western Magazine Vol. XLIII. No.8,
Royal Agricultural Show
The Royal Agricultural Societys show was held this
year at Castle Park, Warwick, from July 7 to 11. The general depression in
trade of the country had its influence upon the number of exhibitors, in
addition to which a serious outbreak of foot and mouth disease, just prior to
the opening of the show, considerably restricted the movement of cattle.
The show yard was a little over a mile from the Great
Western Railway Station at Warwick, and accommodation was provided in the
Companys Cape Yard for dealing with the whole of the traffic, including
that of the London, Midland and Scottish Company.
Platforms measuring 700 feet long by 35 feet wide with a
siding for 22 vehicles on each side, enabling two trains to be dealt with
simultaneously, were provided, equipped with cranes for lifting heavy
About 590 vehicles of live stock in 32 special trains were
received, and 550 vehicles in 31 special trains were drspatched. It was
necessary to work continuously in the reception of the show animals from 3.0
p.m. on Friday, July 3 to 3.0 p.m. on Monday July 6.
To meet the requirements in connection with the return of
the live stock after the show, special trains were despatched at regular
intervals of one hour from 7.0 p.m. Saturday, July 11, to 9.0 a.m. Monday, July
13. The scheduled times were closely followed throughout.
The transport arrangements, which had been carefully
planned prior to the meeting, had to be modified from time to time to meet the
varying conditions arising out of the restrictions in the movement of
At the conclusion of the meeting the Royal Society passed a
resolution expressing their thanks for the excellent rail arrangements made in
connection with the show.
Restriction of Movement of Animals from the Royal
Agricultural Society's Show at the Royal Showground, Warwick. July 1931
2. (1) No animal shall be moved out of the Show Ground of
the Royal Agricultural Society at Warwick, except with a licence granted by an
Inspector or officer of the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, and then
only to some suitable premises approved by the Inspector of the Ministry and
subject to such conditions as the Minister considers necessary or expedient for
the purpose of preventing the spread of disease, and are inserted in the
2. (2) No licence shall be required under the Foot-and-Mouth
Disease (Infected Areas Restrictions) Order of 1925, in respect of any animal
being moved from the Show with a licence under this Order.
3. The term
'animal' in this Order means cattle, sheep, goats and swine.
Cape Yard and Warwick Corporation's Gas Works sidings
Wharf Street bridge works
back to top
Maps of the station and sidings
Locomotives and rolling stock seen at Warwick prior to 31st
Locomotives and rolling stock seen at Warwick post 1st