·  LMS  ·  GWR  ·  LNER  ·  Misc  ·  Stations  ·  What's New  ·  Video  ·  Guestbook  ·  About

LMS Route: Nuneaton to Leamington

Kenilworth Station

Kenilworth Station saw its first fare paying passenger on 9th December 1844 when the Coventry to Leamington (Milverton) single branch line was opened. The only intermediate station on the route, Kenilworth station, was 'Italianate' in style and had a pitched roof that also covered the platform supported by ornate cantilevered brackets. The structure was designed by the London & Birmingham (L&B) resident engineer, Robert Dockray. The traffic levels were originally thought to be easily handled by one locomotive, an estimate soon apparently wrong. Within five months the traffic levels compelled the L&B, to install coal facilities with sidings running parallel to the main line toward Whitemoor Road being in place by 1846. In addition to the sidings for goods traffic, a passing loop and a second platform was installed at Kenilworth, probably by 1845. Robin Leach maintains in his book 'Rails to Kenilworth and Milverton' (1999) it is almost certain, the weighbridge and carriage landing were also in use by this date. In the summer of 1872 a siding from this loop was laid into Whitemoor Brickworks and six years later another connecting to it was put down running parallel to the main line toward Whitemoor Road (see image 'lnwrk3786'.

By 1881 the coal shed is known to have been erected in what was then the coal yard, this being positioned at the Coventry end of the station, whereas the good yard, a much smaller affair was at the Leamington end of the station. The presence of a crane suggests that not only coal moved through the coal yard. The points box near the goods shed is known to have existed in the years 1872 and 1878. Distances marked on signal installation plans show that this box was used for controlling the points and signals for both brickworks sidings. The ground frame is known to be in use between 1879 and 1883 and from evidence seen in image 'lnwrk3786' it appears the control position was moved. The information on the installation of the Brickworks siding also mentions that the related pointwork connecting it to the loop was 'between two points boxes'. This suggests a third site for signalling control and this could be the building alongside the level crossing.

Traffic grew to such an extent, both directly for the area as well as being an alternative through route avoiding the London to Birmingham and Trent Valley lines, that a number of developments occurred. In an attempt to attract traffic from the Leamington, which had become a fashionable place to commute to Birmingham from via the GWR line, a cut off was initiated to avoid Coventry by the development of a double track from just North of Kenilworth to Berkswell station. This double track met the Coventry to Leamington line at Common Lane and its double track was extended not just to Leamington by the doubling of the single line but through to Rugby by mid-1884. This increase in traffic warranted the building of a new station which was duly completed in 1883. The rebuilding also embraced remodelling of the station's layout which saw the location of the goods yard and coal yard reversed. The goods yard becoming the coal yard and vice-a-versa. The former coal yard sidings were shortened and walled in and the crane was moved, and it appears the former coal shed was also moved and its use altered to that of a goods shed. The former goods yard became the coal yard and the siding built as a carriage landing was replaced by a cattle dock. The level crossing was retained until 1885 when it was replaced by the 'Station Steps' footbridge. The complete transition of the name Clarendon Street to Station Road took almost forty years, both names were in use from the 1860s to the turn of the century. The original 1844 station structure wasn't however completely lost because as recorded by Robin Leach the Kings Arms' Assembly Rooms required a much more suitable entrance and the sandstone facade of the original station was incorporated into the new frontage on Station Road.

The Railway Clearing House's 1929 Handbook of Railway Stations states Kenilworth station provided the general public and businesses with the following services: Goods traffic; Passenger and Parcels traffic; Furniture Vans, Carriages, Portable Engines, and Machines on Wheels; Live Stock; Horse Boxes and Prize Cattle Vans; and Carriages (Horse-drawn - Ed) by Passenger Trains (GPFLHC). The cranage facilities provided within the goods yard had remained the same the 5 ton capacity as noted in the 1894 edition of The Railway Clearing House Handbook of Railway Stations. Whilst this earlier edition did not provide information to the same detail e.g. the number of categories listed, and only recorded (GPFL), its reasonable to assume that the same facilities recorded in 1929 were offered from the outset.

Robin Leach writes in 'Rails to Kenilworth and Milverton' (1999), that 'Philip Horseman and Company of Wolverhampton won the contract to build the new station at Kenilworth and excavations were begun in April 1883. By May (of that year) bricklayers, carpenters, labourers and a large steam mortar mill were on the site and the new ground plan was becoming visible. The original goods shed had been demolished and much of the clearing for the new platforms had been done. By September (1883), work was progressing rapidly and the main booking hall was nearing completion, showing off its glazed roof and wall tiles. At about this time, the LNWR announced that in the next session of parliament they were going to apply to stop the public footpath which crossed on the level at the northern end of the station and replace it with a footbridge. This idea was declared a great improvement, but it was not until February 1885 that the footpath was given up. However, not everything was going quite as it should. During the previous two or three years a great deal of sewers had been laid in Station Road and unfortunately this work coincided coincided with the reconstruction of the station. Station Road was now in ... an abominable state ..." and it was impossible ".. . to get to the station without getting your boots covered in mud." The Board quickly made the effort to rectify the situation and relaid the whole road'.

Robin quotes the following description of the station from the local paper. 'The new passenger station which has been for some time under course of erection, is now completed, and will give ample accommodation for the increased traffic which will doubtless result from the opening of the new line from Berkswell. The style of the architecture is Gothic. The buildings are faced with red pressed bricks, and moulded and enriched pressed brick cornices, panels, labels and quoining, and with Hollington stone gable copings, finials, corbels etc. In the centre of the block of buildings on the 'down' side, and facing the approach road, is a handsome and lofty booking hall, 50 feet long by 28 feet wide, with ornamental open timber roof, surmounted by a lantern, enriched with stained glass in the sidelights; the walls are faced with glazed buff tiles, with ornamental dado of Minton's glazed tile, and the floor is laid with encaustic paving. The booking office enclosure is of pitch-pine, framed and panelled, with pierced cresting above the cornice. There are also upon the down side first class ladies and gentlemen's waiting rooms, second class ladies' room, and general waiting room, with lavatories, etc, station master's office, with bay window, commanding a view of the entire station, parcels office, etc,; Upon the 'up' side of the line are a large general waiting-room, 50 feet long, ladies' room and other conveniences, A footbridge is erected near to the north end of the station, for crossing the railway, constructed with wrought iron lattice girders, and ornamental Gothic arched spandrels and pilasters supporting the roof finished on the inside with panelling in pitch pine, and glazed Gothic headed side lights. Spacious and handsome staircases at either end of the bridge, conduct from the booking hall on the one side of the line, to the large general waiting-room on the opposite side: the steps composed of' Hawksley's patent treads, and the side walls of stairs are dadoed to a height of five feet with Minton's glazed encaustic tiles'.

'The whole of the joinery) including roof of hooking hall, dadoes round waiting-rooms, doors and windows, and interior finishings, is of best selected pitch pine, varnished, and the fanlights overall doors and windows are filled with ornamental coloured lead-lights, by Messrs. Davies, of Shrewsbury. The platforms are each 600 feet long by 20 feet wide, paved with Val-de-Travers asphalte, with rubbed York- stone margins, and are covered, their full width, for a length of nearly 200 feet, on each side, with light wrought iron roofing, supported on ornamental cast iron columns and brackets. The carriage stand in front of the station is also covered with roofing of a similar description. The whole of the cast iron work has been supplied by Messrs. Rudge and Griffith, of Stafford. Adjoining the station, at the north end, is a lofty signal- box, built in style to correspond with the other buildings, raised to a sufficient height to enable the pointsman to obtain a clear view over the roof of the footbridge. The works have been carried out under the control of H. Woodhouse, Esq., of Stafford, Chief Engineer of the London and North Western Railway Company (Southern Division), from designs by Mr. T W. Jones, of the Engineer's Office. The contract was entrusted to Messrs. Horsman and Co., of Wolverhampton, by whom the work has been very satisfactorily executed'.

The main building suffered fire damage in 1923 but according to Preston Hendry et al, retained their much of their splendour even after closure, when the station forecourt and goods yards became a builder's yard. Local passenger services were withdrawn between Leamington to Coventry on 18th January 1965 whilst local freight services had ceased on 4th January 1965.

People interested in learning more about Kenilworth Station could do no better than read Robin Leach's book 'Rails to Kenilworth and Milverton' (1999) and his earlier piece Kenilworth's Railway Age' (1985) both published by Odibourne Press. These and other relevant reference books are listed in our 'bibliography'.

External views of Kenilworth station

View of the original Kenilworth station with single platform being opened on Monday 9th December 1844 a few months after it had been built
Ref: lnwrk160
London Illustrated News
View of the original Kenilworth station, with single platform, being opened on Monday 9th December 1844
View of the station approach to Kenilworth's new 1884 Gothic style station showing the impressive canopy providing protection
Ref: lnwrk1466
Helen Scott Collection
View of the approach road to Kenilworth's new 1884 Gothic style station and impressive canopy providing protection
Another view of Kenilworth's replacement station showing the architectural features used in the walls, window openings, doorways and chimneys
Ref: lnwrk1467
J Alsop
Another view of the second station and its architectural features used in the windows, doorways and chimneys
View of the approach to Kenilworth station from the recently created junction of Priory Road and Waverley Road with Station Road
Ref: lnwrk1468
Helen Scott Collection
View of the approach to the station from the junction of Priory Road and Waverley Road with Station Road
Another view of the approach to Kenilworth station from the junction of Priory and Waverley Roads showing the weigh bridge and office on the left
Ref: lnwrk1469
Helen Scott Collection
Another view of the approach to the station, with weigh bridge and office, sen just past the gate on the left

Close up showing the gated entrance to Kenilworth station showing the weigh bridge and offices in front of the very tall signal box
Ref: lnwrk1469a
Helen Scott Collection
Close up showing the gated entrance to the station with weigh bridge and offices in front of the tall signal box
Another view of the exterior of Kenilworth station now having been stripped of its glazing to the forecourt canopy as a wartime precaution
Ref: lnwrk159
Real Photos
Another view of the exterior of the station now stripped of its glazing to the canopy as a wartime precaution
A late 1950s view of the exterior of Kenilworth station showing the whole of the canopy structure removed and exposing the ornate brickwork
Ref: lnwrk171
Anon
A late 1950s view of the exterior of Kenilworth station with the canopy removed exposing the ornate brickwork
A 1959 Exterior view of Kenilworth station's front facade after being cut back in 1957 together with other work to help maintain the station
Ref: lnwrk2065
A Searle
A 1959 Exterior view of the station's facade after being cut back together with other work maintaining the station

Inrernal Views of Kenilworth Station

Internal view of the booking hall and panelled facade to the booking clerk's offices with two windows provided for the sale of tickets
Ref: lnwrk2050
P Kingston
Internal view of the booking hall and panelled facade to the booking clerk's offices with two windows provided
An internal view of the booking hall looking towards the platforms showing the station's tiled walls and stained glass windows
Ref: lnwrk2049
K Blackham
Internal view of the booking hall looking outwards showing the station's tiled walls and stained glass windows
A 1959 interior view of Kenilworth station's magnificent booking showing the roof of the booking office and the ornamental roof
Ref: lnwrk2064
A Searle
A 1959 interior view of the station's booking office showing the roof and the ornamental roof
View along Kenilworth station's down platform showing the station master's office, booking hall and waiting room on the left
Ref: lnwrk2061
P Kingston
View along the down platform showing the station master's office, booking hall and waiting room on the left
View of the interior of Kenilworth station's Booking Hall and the Booking Office on 14th November 1964
Ref: lnwrk3785
RCTS CH05934CVF
View of the interior of Kenilworth station's Booking Hall and the Booking Office on 14th November 1964

Platform views of Kenilworth station

A late Victorian view of Kenilworth station from the up platform looking towards Warwick Milverton with station staff posed on both platforms
Ref: lnwrk1470
W Kimberley / G Whiteman
Victorian view of the station from the up platform looking towards Warwick with station staff posed on both platforms
Close up showing Kenilworth station's new up platform with ornate Gothic architecture and column mounted glazed platform canopy
Ref: lnwrk1470a
W Kimberley / G Whiteman
Close up of the station's new up platform with its ornate Gothic architecture and glazed platform canopy
Close up of Kenilworth station's down platform and distinctive signal box which was necessary to control both of the station's yards
lnwrk1470b
W Kimberley / G Whiteman
Close up of the station's distinctively tall signal box which was necessary to control both of the station's yards
View of Kenilworth station's distinctive tall signal box and the main station building which were located on the down platform
Ref: lnwrk169
Anon
A later view of the distinctively tall signal box and the main station building which were located on the down platform
Kenilworth station looking towards Coventry along the up platform showing that only the down platform canopy had its glazing removed
Ref: lnwrk172
Real Photos
Looking to Coventry along the up platform showing that only the down platform canopy had its glazing removed

An unidentified LNWR 2-4-0 Improved Precedent class locomotive is seen entering Kenilworth station at the head of an up mixed stock express service
Ref: lnwrk150
Anon
An unidentified LNWR 2-4-0 Improved Precedent class locomotive at the head of an express enters the station
Close up showing Kenilworth station's elegant and ornate canopy ironwork complemented by the Gothic arches to the windows and doors
Ref: lnwrk150c
Anon
Close up of the elegant and ornate canopy complemented by the Gothic arches to the windows and doors
A late Victorian or early Edwardian view of Kenilworth station looking towards Coventry station along the down platform
Ref: lnwrk3784
J Alsop
A Victorian or Edwardian view of Kenilworth station looking towards Coventry station along the down platform
Close up showing the Warwick end of Kenilworth station with the entrance to the goods yard on the right
Ref: lnwrk3767a
LNWR Society
Close up showing the Warwick end of Kenilworth station with the entrance to the goods yard on the right
View of Kenilworth station as an unidentified LNWR 2-4-2T tank engine brings a local passenger service to a halt at the up platform
Ref: lnwrk2047
Helen Scott Collection
An unidentified LNWR 2-4-2T tank engine brings a local passenger service to a halt at the up platform

Looking towards Coventry along the up platform from the Warwick end of the station showing the extent of the 600 foot long platforms
Ref: lnwrk2059
Anon
Looking towards Coventry along the up platform showing the full extent of the 600 foot long platforms
Looking towards Warwick along the down platform from the Coventry end of the station showing on the left the new housing estate
Ref: lnwrk2060
Anon
Looking to Warwick from the Coventry end of the down platform showing on the left the new housing estate
Looking in the direction of Coventry with the 'Station Steps' footbridge in the near distance which replaced the private level crossing
Ref: lnwrk165
Anon
Looking to Coventry and the 'Station Steps' footbridge which replaced the private level crossing

Close up of Kenilworth station's general goods yard and goods shed with an assortment of mineral wagons and oil tankers in the yard
Ref: lnwrk164a
G Coltas
Close up of of the general goods yard and shed with an assortment of mineral wagons and oil tankers in the yard
A 1959 view of Kenilworth station's goods yard with the goods shed in the centre and the weighbridge office and  stables on the right
Ref: lnwrk2066
A Searle
A 1959 view of the goods yard with the shed in the centre and the weighbridge office and stables on the right
Looking towards Coventry as Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0  No 46447 is seen marshalling a train of engineer wagons following the closure of the yard
Ref: lnwrk2040
R Sharratt
Looking towards Coventry as 2MT 2-6-0 No 46447 marshals P & W wagons following the closure of the yard
Close up showing seven plank railway wagons including a Coventry Colliery Private Owner vehicle in the yard of Cherry Orchard Brickworks
Ref: lnwrk156a
G Coltas
Close up showing railway wagons including a Coventry Colliery Private Owner vehicle in the Brickworks
Close up showing an unidentified former Midland locomotive on an up goods service standing in the departure siding of Kenilworth's goods yard
Ref: lnwrk151a
G Coltas
Close up of an unidentified ex-MR locomotive on an up goods service standing in the goods yard

Trains seen at or near Kenilworth Station

Ex-Midland Railway 2F 0-6-0 No 3704 is seen about to depart Kenilworth on an up local passenger service to Leamington on 28th August 1936
Ref: lnwrk151
G Coltas
Ex-MR 2F 0-6-0 No 3704 departs from Kenilworth on an up local service to Leamington on 28th August 1936
LMS 4P 4-4-0 'Compound' No 1157 is seen passing through Kenilworth whilst at the head of an up semi-fast express service on 28th August 1936
Ref: lnwrk158
G Coltas
LMS 4P 4-4-0 'Compound' No 1157 passes through the station on an up semi-fast express service
Ex-LNWR 1P 2-4-2T No 6653 is seen sandwiched in the centre of a four coach push-pull train on a local service from Nuneaton to Leamington
Ref: lnwrk152
G Coltas
Ex-LNWR 1P 2-4-2T No 6653 in the centre of a four coach push-pull train on a local service to Leamington
Close up showing the driver standing in the cab and controlling the train via vacuum operated linkages to the locomotive in the centre of the train
Ref: lnwrk152a
G Coltas
Close up showing the driver in the cab and controlling the train via vacuum operated linkages to the locomotive
Close up showing steam escaping from the whistle of ex-LNWR 2-4-2T 'Precursor Tank' No 6653 as it warns of its approach to the station
Ref: lnwrk152b
G Coltas
Close up showing the whistle of ex-LNWR 2-4-2T No 6653 in action as it approaches Kenilworth station

Ex-Midland Railway 2F 0-6-0 No 3347 is seen running tender first as it passes through Kenilworth station on an up pick goods service
Ref: lnwrk166
G Coltas
Ex-MR 2F 0-6-0 No 3347 runs tender first as it passes through Kenilworth station on an up pick goods service
Ex-LNWR 3P 4-4-0 Precursor class No 25319 'Bucephalus' stands at the up platform with a Leamington to Coventry local passenger service
Ref: lnwrk167
G Coltas
Ex-LNWR 3P 4-4-0 Precursor class No 25319 'Bucephalus' with a Leamington to Coventry local passenger service
Ex-LNWR 3P 4-4-0 Precursor class No 25319 'Bucephalus' stands at the up platform with a Leamington to Coventry local passenger service
Ref: lnwrk167
DP Williams
Colour view of ex-LNWR 3P 4-4-0 No 25319 'Bucephalus' with a Leamington to Coventry local passenger service
Ex-LNWR 0-8-0 'Super D' No 9349 is seen heading a long mineral train out of Kenilworth goods yard en-route for Milverton and Leamington
Ref: lnwrk168
G Coltas
Ex-LNWR 0-8-0 'Super D' No 9349 heads a long mineral train out of Kenilworth goods yard en-route for Leamington
Ex-LNWR 2F 0-6-0 'Cauliflower' No 8413 is seen at the head of a close coupled four coach local service from Nuneaton to Leamington
Ref: lnwrk154
G Coltas
Ex-LNWR 2F 0-6-0 No 8413 at the head of a close coupled four coach local service from Nuneaton to Leamington

Ex-LNWR 1P 2-4-2T No 6749 is running bunker first on a four-coach service as it passes the siding to the Whitemoor Brickworks in 1938
Ref: lnwrk153
G Coltas
Ex-LNWR 1P 2-4-2T No 6749 runs bunker first on a four-coach service passing Whitemoor Brickworks sidings
A pair of ex-LNWR 2F 0-6-0 'Cauliflower' No 8519 and No 8430 are seen leaving Kenilworth station at the head a local passenger service
Ref: lnwrk155
G Coltas
A pair of ex-LNWR 2F 0-6-0 locomotives are seen leaving Kenilworth station at the head a local passenger service
Ex-LNWR 3P 4-4-0 'Precursor class' No 25300 'Hydra' is seen passing Cherry Orchard Brickworks on a four-coach local passenger service
Ref: lnwrk156
G Coltas
Ex-LNWR 3P 4-4-0 No 25300 'Hydra' passes Cherry Orchard Brickworks on a four-coach local passenger service
Ex-LNWR 2P 4-6-0 Experiment class No 5534 'Bedfordshire' having just past Kenilworth station is seen hauling an up coal train towards Leamington
Ref: lnwrk2042
Helen Scott Collection
Ex-LNWR 2P 4-6-0 Experiment class No 5534 'Bedfordshire' has just passed Kenilworth station with an up coal train
Ex-LNWR 3P 4-4-0 Precursor class No 5300 'Hydra' is arriving at Kenilworth with steam escaping from the safety valves whilst on a local service
Ref: lnwrk163
G Coltas
Ex-LNWR 3P 4-4-0 Precursor class No 5300 'Hydra' arrives at Kenilworth on a local service to Leamington

Close up of the immaculate unidentified LNWR 2-4-0 Improved Precedent class locomotive as it passes through Kenilworth station's down platform
Ref: lnwrk150a
Anon
Close up of the unidentified LNWR 2-4-0 Improved Precedent class locomotive passing through the station
Close up showing the 2-4-0 Improved Precedent class locomotive's train with five non-passenger vehicles being placed ahead of three passenger vehicles
Ref: lnwrk150b
Anon
Close up showing the 2-4-0 Improved Precedent class locomotive's train and five non-passenger vehicles
An unidentified LNWR 0-6-0 'Coal Engine' is seen standing at the down platform at the head of a local passenger service to Coventry
Ref: lnwrk170
G Coltas
An unidentified LNWR 0-6-0 'Coal Engine' stands on the down platform at the head of a local service to Coventry
An unknown ex-LNWR 0-6-0 'Cauliflower' locomotive pilots an unknown LMS 4F 0-6-0 locomotives as they run light towards Coventry in 1937
Ref: lnwrk157
G Coltas
Unknown ex-LNWR 0-6-0 'Cauliflower' and unknown LMS 4F 0-6-0 locomotives running light to Coventry in 1937
Coventry Pneumatic Railcar No 3 is seen passing through Kenilworth station on its way to Nuneaton via Coventry
Ref: lnwrk161
G Coltas
Coventry Pneumatic Railcar No 3 is seen passing through Kenilworth station on its way to Nuneaton via Coventry

An unidentified ex-LNWR 3P 4-4-0 Precursor class locomotive is seen passing through Kenilworth station whilst at the head of an excursion working
Ref: lnwrk164
G Coltas
An unidentified ex-LNWR 4-4-0 Precursor class locomotive passes through the station at the head of an excursion
An unidentified ex-LNWR tank engine has just passed under Leamington Road bridge as it heads a local passenger service to Coventry
Ref: lnwrk2041
Helen Scott Collection
An unidentified ex-LNWR tank engine has just passed under Leamington Road bridge on a local service to Coventry
Ex-LNWR 4P 4-6-0 Prince of Wales class No 5667 'Zamiel' is seen passing Whitemoor Brickworks on a four-coach local service to Leamington
Ref: lnwrk2045
GW Bishop
Ex-LNWR 4P 4-6-0 No 5667 'Zamiel' passes Whitemoor Brickworks on a four-coach local service to Leamington
View from Whitemoor Road bridge of an unidentified ex-LNWR 2F 0-6-0 'Cauliflower' locomotive passing Cherry Orchard Brickworks
Ref: lnwrk2043
GW Bishop
View from Whitemoor Road bridge of an unidentified ex-LNWR 2F 0-6-0 'Cauliflower' locomotive
View from 'station steps' footbridge of an unidentified ex-LNWR 2F 0-6-0 Cauliflower locomotive passing the gated Whitemoor Brickworks sidings
Ref: lnwrk2044
GW Bishop
View from 'station steps' footbridge of another unidentified ex-LNWR 2F 0-6-0 Cauliflower locomotive

An unidentified ex-LNWR 4-6-0 'Claughton Class' locomotive on a down train to Birmingham New Street
Ref: lnwrk3150
P Lee
An unidentified ex-LNWR 4-6-0 'Claughton Class' locomotive on a down train to Birmingham New Street
Ex-LNWR 1P 2-4-2T No 6754 departs Kenilworth station with a Leamington to Nuneaton service circa 1938
Ref: lnwrk3783
G Coltas
Ex-LNWR 1P 2-4-2T No 6754 departs Kenilworth station with a Leamington to Nuneaton service circa 1938
British Railways Standard Class 9F No 92013 passes under the footbridge joining Farmer Ward Road to Priory Road
Ref: lnwrk3148
R Hickman
BR Standard Class 9F No 92013 passes under the footbridge joining Farmer Ward Road to Priory Road
The Daimler experimental Railcar posed for the camera at Kenilworth station shortly before the outbreak of the First World War
Ref: lnwrk3767
LNWR Society
The Daimler experimental Railcar at Kenilworth station shortly before the outbreak of the First World War
An unidentified ex-LNWR 0-6-0 'Cauliflower' goods locomotive is entering Kenilworth station on a very cold and snowy day
Ref: lnwrk3782
J Alsop
An ex-LNWR 0-6-0 'Cauliflower' goods locomotive enters Kenilworth station on a very cold and snowy day

A three-car Diesel Multiple Unit arrives at Kenilworth with the 5:35pm Birmingham New Street to Rugby service
Ref: lnwrk3149
M Mensing
A three-car Diesel Multiple Unit arrives at Kenilworth with the 5:35pm Birmingham New Street to Rugby service

Aerial views, schematic drawing and maps of Kenilworth Station

A schematic drawing of the original single line double platform Kenilworth station dated 25th January 1876
Ref: lnwrk3786
P Lee
A schematic drawing of the original single line double platform Kenilworth station dated 25th January 1876
A pre-1883 schematic plan of Kenilworth station showing the layout prior to the doubling of the branch line
Ref: lnwrk3788
R Steward
A pre-1883 schematic plan of Kenilworth station showing the layout prior to the doubling of the branch line
A post-1883 schematic plan of Kenilworth station showing the layout prior to the doubling of the branch line
Ref: lnwrk3789
R Steward
A post-1883 schematic plan of Kenilworth station showing the layout prior to the doubling of the branch line
General layout of Kenilworth station and yards with the up line at the top proceeding to Leamington and the down line at the bottom for Coventry
Ref: lnwrk162
R Preston-Hendry
General layout of Kenilworth station and yards with the up line at the top proceeding to Leamington
An 1886 Ordnance Survey Map of Kenilworth station and its two goods yards published in 1886
Ref: lnwrk3146
National Library of Scotland
An 1886 6 inch to the mile OS Map of Kenilworth station and its two goods yards published in 1886

A 1903 Ordnance Survey Map showing Kenilworth station and its two yards, one dedicated to coal the other for all other goods
Ref: lnwrk3787
National Library of Scotland
A 1903 OS Map showing Kenilworth station and its two yards, one dedicated to coal the other for all other goods
A 1903 Ordnance Survey Map of Kenilworth station and its two goods yards published in 1906
Ref: lnwrk3145
National Library of Scotland
A 25 inch to the mile 1903 OS Map of Kenilworth station and its two goods yards published in 1906
A 1923 Ordnance Survey Map of Kenilworth station and its two goods yards published in 1926
Ref: lnwrk3144
National Library of Scotland
A 1923 6 inch to the mile OS Map of Kenilworth station and its two goods yards published in 1926
A 1938 Ordnance Survey Map of Kenilworth station and its two goods yards published circa 1945
Ref: lnwrk3147
National Library of Scotland
A 1938 6 inch to the mile OS Map of Kenilworth station and its two goods yards published circa 1945
A 1930s LMS Control strip map showing the route between Coventry No 1 Signal Box and Leamington Avenue
Ref: lnwrmap110
M Hollick
A 1930s LMS Control strip map showing the route between Coventry No 1 signal box and Leamington Avenue

LNWR trackplan of Mr Hawkes' Brickworks Sidings at Kenilworth on the Nuneaton to Leamington line
Ref: lnwr_track3376
B Hickman
LNWR trackplan of Mr Hawkes' Brickworks Sidings at Kenilworth on the Nuneaton to Leamington line
LNWR trackplan of Cherry Orchard Brickworks Siding at Kenilworth on the Nuneaton to Leamington line
Ref: lnwr_track3377
B Hickman
LNWR trackplan of Cherry Orchard Brickworks Siding at Kenilworth on the Nuneaton to Leamington line
A 1959 aerial view of Kenilworth showing the station in the centre, Waverley Road on the left and the closed Whitemoor Brickworks
Ref: lnwrk2046
J Webster
A 1959 aerial view of showing the station in the centre, on the left Waverley Road & the closed Whitemoor Brickworks
Close up of Kenilworth station and yards with some thirty coal wagons alone standing in the Coal Yard which lies nearest to the camera
Ref: lnwrk2046a
J Webster
Close up showing some thirty coal wagons alone standing in the Coal Yard which lies nearest to the camera