Soho Road Station
Soho Road station opened at the same time as the relief loop
line to Walsall via Perry Barr on 1st April 1889. The LNWR had built this new
stretch of line to provide relief to the traffic entering New Street via the
old Grand Junction Railway route. It was primarily envisaged for goods traffic,
especially for servicing the coal mines around Perry Barr and Great Barr
(Hamstead). The two passenger stations on the line, Soho Road from the outset
and Handsworth Wood from 1st January 1896, were in competition with the GWR's
more direct route between Wolverhampton and Birmingham. Consequently with the
commencement of the Second World War, which required the railways to be
efficient with scarce resources and labour, the two stations were closed in
1941 never to re-open although the route remains open to this day.
Soho station consisted of a three storey building sited
between the up and down lines with the third floor facing out on to Soho Road.
The ground floor had doors set below the platform level as can be seen from the
remains of the station in image 'lnwrsohord1517' and 'lnwrsohord3422' The platforms were also located
between the two running lines creating an island structure requiring just one
set of stairs from the three storey station building. The
1912 Ordnance Survey map shows the island
platform having a structure accommodating one probably two waiting rooms with
canopies reaching out both sides to the full width of the island platform. The
Railway Clearing House's Handbook of Railway Stations records that the station
served only passengers with a parcels facility as Soho Pool Wharf provided the
goods facilities for the area.