·  LMS  ·  GWR  ·  LNER  ·  Misc  ·  Stations  ·  What's New  ·  Video  ·  Guestbook  ·  About

LMS Route: Rugby to Wolverhampton

LMS Route: Nuneaton to Leamington

Coventry Station

Coventry Station (226) Locomotives seen at Coventry Station (115) Coventry Shed (58)

Use the links below to access the following sections:

Coventry Station on the London and Birmingham Railway Line by Peter S Richards

This article first appeared in the LNWR Society Journal Volume 7 Edition No 1 June 2012. Our thanks to the LNWR Society for allowing its reproduction.

This article concerns just station: one of the first to be built on the main railway line between London and Birmingham, and its influence.¹ Coventry's early Victorian industries were in small factories, which were little more than workshops, and these used relatively small quantities of raw materials. In the 18th and 19th centuries, Coventry became one of the three main UK centres of watch and clock manufacture and ranked alongside Prescot, near Liverpool and Clerkenwell in London. The first bicycle was made in the 1860s. When the railway was being planned between London and Birmingham, Coventry men showed little interest in it. They had their own flourishing canal; between 1829 and 1838 it paid an annual dividend of 44%. (2) Coventry was also served by the Coventry and Ashby Canal, which paid a modest dividend. It was a branch from the Oxford Canal but it must have been adequate although the city continued to depend heavily on road transport until the opening of the L&BR. Before the coming of the L&BR, it was claimed Coventry had a good coach service. The industrial development of Coventry has depended far more on roads.

London & Birmingham Railway

By passing to the south west of the City the line was not only shorter but construction had been easier because of the lower level of the Fletch Hampstead Valley of the Canley Brook to Tile Hill, where only a short tunnel was needed. If the line had been built nearer the centre of the city it would have involved considerable expense in compensating the owners of land and property. The railway company certainly provided Coventry with excellent facilities, but the city was slow to benefit from the railway. The London & Birmingham Railway Company opened the line between Rugby and Birmingham on 9th April 1838; Coventry was opened as a principal station on that section of the line. It soon proved its worth. In May 1839, a special train brought the Corps of Riflemen from Birmingham to Coventry to deal with disturbances which took place at Chartist Meetings. The whole line between London and Birmingham was held up by the problems of excavating the Kilsby Tunnel and through running did not start until 17th September 1838.

The First Station

The old station lay in sandstone cutting deep enough on the eastern approaches to support the Mile Lane Bridge. This bridge had been designed by Robert Stephenson as part of the original works, as an elliptical flying arch springing directly from the rock without need for abutments (brickwork or masonry forming the side of a bridge, taking the thrust of the arch). In tooled stone, probably taken from the cutting, it has irregular radial voussoirs (wedge shaped stones or brickwork forming the edge of an arch) and courses below a roll cornice (projecting horizontal moulding along the top of a wall or over an arch) and parapet. There are two similar bridges at each end of Beechwood Tunnel, just less than four miles west of Coventry. The opening of Coventry station was attended with much ceremony; crowds of spectators packed the bridges in the area to see the first train arriving from Birmingham just after 10.00 a.m. The original station at Coventry was a very inconvenient one. It was situated immediately on the road to Kenilworth. The L&BR passed early Victorian Coventry on the south west. As originally built, it lay outside the city boundary and passed over the Freeman's Piece, which was until then, agricultural land. Coventry was to wait thirty years, until 1871, for a direct road to the station which was a commendably wide one, lined with detached villas. Because the main line passed south of the city, through peculiarities of land ownership and freeman's open rights, it was hemmed in, so that when the buildings of the town reached the station, it was late and from the opposite direction. Although this station was a miserable one, it did have a waiting room with a female attendant.

The station buildings were at road level on the overbridge; in order to reach the trains passengers had to descend a long dog leg flight of steps, made worse by the fact that there were no raised platforms as such. The Osborne engraving shows a short platform for the Up side, the one reached by the flights of steps mentioned. The Down side was reached by a stairway from the road south of the overbridge. There was no protection from the elements – a principal station at that! Robert Stephenson had used it as his headquarters for the Birmingham and Rugby section. Despite this, the directors made the same grievous mistake as they had at Rugby by providing a station totally inadequate for the obvious needs of such a centre of population. It was, however, only for a short while. The local paper described this day as one of ‘great commercial and national importance’. One local manufacturer pointed out that ribbons and silks alike could now easily reach London and five leading London wholesale houses continued to maintain a ‘Coventry ribbon department’, which kept the industry with a small but regular trade till about 1890. This was despite the signing of the Cobden Treaty with France in 1860, which removed all duties on imported French ribbons and silks. (3)

Second Station

In 1840 a new station was built and opened to the general public in order to facilitate the business, which was increasing, (along with the growing luggage theft!) and in 1845 with more trains to service, the water tank had to be enlarged. It appears that extra sidings were built as the Company's minutes indicate that an existing footbridge needed to be replaced by a new longer one. The new 1840 station was built just to the east of the original, largely on the present site. The approach was still from the original booking office but the steps were replaced with a long ramp, which lead down to the platforms. Among the many later improvements made in the new station were the doubling in the number of platforms, and the junctions for the Leamington and Nuneaton branches were realigned. A large parcels depot was built at the London end. It is described as a ‘light and airy construction which greets passengers arriving at Coventry, who find it in pleasant harmony with the architecture of the new City’. In 1841 the L&BR signed a contract for the erection of twenty-six cottages at Coventry station. As accommodation was scarce the L&BR needed to build these blocks of houses and were able to because the station was originally outside the town. (4) These cottages, beside the line, were only knocked down in 1971 to make space for an extension of the goods station.

Meanwhile alterations and additions to the original carriage sheds had been approved. The station was altered considerably about 1850 and again about 1860. A new, more commodious and more accessible booking hall was built when the alterations were being made. This, however, was to soon prove inadequate and remain so for many years. The poet Tennyson even wrote of Coventry:

Lines to Coventry
I waited for the train at Coventry
I hung with grooms and porters on the bridge,
To watch the three tall spires.

The train for which Tennyson waited must have been an LNWR one as no other company's passenger trains were ever allowed to run regularly to Coventry. The LNWR's almost total stranglehold on the city is perhaps one reason why it has never been considered an important railway centre, except perhaps by those who know the area. There were only two other lines: one to Nuneaton and the other to Leamington, compared with many more at Rugby.

A further round of alterations was made in 1904 and that station remained until it was completely rebuilt with glass and concrete and re-opened on 1st March 1962. The 1904 replacement station was enlarged several times before electrification, including an extension for which the LMS received powers in 1935. Although only slightly damaged in the blitz which destroyed large areas of Coventry, it was too old, too dirty and too cramped for electrification. Coventry is not as well situated as many places in relation to the rail network of the country. Much of the traffic from London to the north bypassed the city station once the Trent Valley Line was opened. In the late 1940s there was an average of 5,500 passengers daily per week, conveyed by an average of 188 trains. The Town Planning authorities claimed that Coventry City station was inadequate and that redevelopment should be undertaken as a high priority with greater facilities including additional lines and platforms. Over the years since the L&BR was opened in 1838, there had been successive enlargements to the first and second stations, both which were soon proven inadequate. Excavations for a third station started in 1938 but these were halted by the Second World War. The report of the Town Planning authorities provided an impetus for this work to be taken up again. (5)

The result was that in 1962, when the new station was opened, it was what was acclaimed as one of Britain's best post-war stations and was twice the size of the old one. It was deliberately designed to be in keeping with the reconstruction of the war damaged city and was ready for the opening of the new cathedral. The station is an expression of unadorned simplicity, yet had none of the starkness of many of its contemporaries, principally due to the extensive and imaginative use of glass within the concrete frame. The lofty uncluttered concourse has a striking wooden ceiling under a slab roof which extends over the forecourt, articulating with the matching bus shelter underneath. The design is completely integrated, flowing up a broad staircase on to an open mezzanine overlooking the concourse, across the foot and luggage bridges, and down to the platform beneath their generous awnings. Over 40 years on, the station retains a freshness and presence long since lost by many 1960s buildings in Coventry and elsewhere. What is more for the passenger, it is easy to use.

The Population

The population of Coventry started to grow between 1831 and 1861, and after a brief decline in 1871 increased again.
  1831 27,070          
  1832 30,781          
  1851 36,812          
  1861 40,936          
  1871 37,670          
  1881 42,111          
  1891 52,742          

The reasons for the temporary decline between 1861 and 1881 are not clear. It is true that in the 1870s the age at marriage for the whole population started to grow, after a decline in the previous years. This, of course, had its influence on the birth rate, although migration must account for some of this growth. Although the railway played its part in the overall increase in population, by migration, between 1831 and 1891, the main reason was probably improved health and living conditions, along with the demand for labour from the expanding industries, especially bicycles. (6) Coventry had long been a centre for the manufacture of watches and clocks. However, during the eighteenth century this did not become a power driven industry and the nineteenth century it declined in the face of foreign competition; many of the skilled workers left, some to take up work on the railway. By providing Birmingham International Station with multiple tracks there was at last a turn-back point for many local services on the heavily congested Birmingham-Coventry-Rugby main line, elsewhere restricted to double tracks. (7)

Conclusion No manufacturing area of the West Midlands suffered a more severe decline in rail traffic than Coventry. When the freight terminal was closed to public traffic in November 1982 specialised consignments went to the Wednesbury Steel Terminal. In May 1872 Inter-city passenger services were significantly changed for the first time since electrification; there was a weekday half hourly service, all calling at Coventry. Local services have increased recently. Today the commuters to Birmingham are served well with eight trains between 8am and 9am, as well as many others during the day.

References

(1) This paper is an update of Chapter eight in the author's thesis: Some geographical aspects of the construction of the London and Birmingham Railway and its influence on the towns along its route. Unpublished MA thesis, University of London 1957.
(2) Simmons, Jack (1986), The Railway in Town and Country 1830 – 1914 p. 154
(3) Woodward, Sir Llewellyn, (1962), The Age of Reform 1815 – 1870, pp. 179 – 180
(4) Minutes of the Coaching and Police Committee of the London and Birmingham Railway Co: Entry dated June 24th. 1840; Minutes of the Ways and Works Committee of the L&B Railway Co. Entry dated December 12th. 1845 Minutes of the Ways and Works Committee of the L&B Railway Co. Entry dated 1st February 1846
(5) Coventry: the Development Plan (1951) p. 66
(6) Habbakuk, H J (1971), Population growth and economic development since 1780 is a lucid account of this complex subject
(7) Richards, Peter S (2011). Birmingham International Station. Industrial Heritage Volume 35 No. 2 pp 223-24

Additional Sources

Biddle, Gordon, 1990. The Railway Surveyors.
Biddle, Gordon, Ed. 2003 Britain's historic Railway Buildings: An Oxford Gazetteer of Structures and Sites.
Christiansen, Rex, 2nd Edition 1983 A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Volume 7 The West Midlands
Cook, R A 1990, Coventry – A survey of a Transport Centre. Journal of the Railway and Canal Historical Society Volume XXX Part 1 No 144 pp 15 - 31

Acknowledgment

The original Minute Books of the L&BR are preserved in the PRO at Kew. My thanks to the staff at Kew.

Peter S Richards

Accident at Coventry on 4th October 1868

A derailment at Coventry caused by a temporary repair to pointwork not being replaced in a timely manner and proving inadequate for a larger engine. This document was published on 15th October 1868 by Board of Trade. It was written by Capt. H. W. Tyler.

"In compliance with the instructions contained in your minute of the 7th instant, I have now the honour to report for the information of the Board of Trade, the result of my enquiry into the circumstances which attended the accident that occurred on the 4th instant, near the Coventry station on the London and North-Western Railway. The Leamington branch leaves the London and Birmingham section of the above railway 100 yards to the south of the Coventry station, and then curves sharply to the westward. There is a double line of rails for a quarter of a mile only, and on the south of the branch there are an engine shed, certain sidings, and an engine turntable."

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

The following is an extract from one of Reg Kimber's scrapbooks compiled over 50 years.

Reconstruction of Coventry Railway Station 1938

£100,000 Scheme Commenced to Include Island Platform on Cheylesmore Side

From the Midland Daily Telegraph January 15th 1938

The work of reconstructing Coventry Railway Station has commenced. It involves the building of an island platform on the down, or Cheylesmore side. The cost will be about £100,000 and the work will take about twelve months to complete. This forms part of a larger scheme which the LMS. Company hopes to be able to carry out in the future. Huts to serve as offices for the clerk of works' and the foremen have already been erected outside the station, and the bookstall on the up platform has been moved a few yards nearer London. The bookstall has been re-built and equipped with electric light. Taking this platform first - the present offices used by the stationmaster (Mr E. Barnett) and his clerks will have a couple of rooms added to them, and this whole block will form the new general and women's waiting rooms, which will include first-class accommodation for the first time. Then, in the place vacated by the bookstall, an electric lift for luggage and traffic will be built to replace the present hydraulic lift.

HANDLING OF COMMERCIAL TRAFFIC

The latter part of the station's amenities, with the kitchen and dining room, will be transformed into the stationmaster's and his clerk's offices. The telegraph office will remain as it is. The cloak-room is to be thrown into the parcels office, to provide more room for dealing with parcels traffic, and the dining room is to be transformed into the new cloakroom. The office of the passenger agent, Mr. W. H. Kirt, will remain as it is. An important improvement, making for easier handling of commercial traffic, will be the provision of a straight run from the parcels office on to the platform. This will be effected by knocking down part of the wall by the present cloakroom. The public counter of the parcels office will be twice as long.

Finally, all the clocks - those in the. clerks' offices as well as the timepieces on the platforms, will all be synchronised, and, moreover, there will be another on the outside of the building facing the road. On the down side, the platform that is to be made into an island will be half as long again, and will extend up to the Warwick Road bridge. It will easily accommodate 15 big coaches.

The 1838 and 1840 London & Birmingham Railway stations

The following is an article which appeared in The Coventry Herald, 23rd March 1838, 'A train consisting of five carriages, arrived at the Coventry Station about half-past two o'clock on Monday last, on a trip from Birmingham to Rugby. This is the first time that the entire line so far has been traversed . . . . We understand that the London and Birmingham Railway Company have given notice to Messrs. Chaplin and Co., (who are to convey passengers by coaches and carriages between Denbigh Hall and Rugby) to have their horses and carriages in readiness on the 9th April; but that it is more probable that the day of opening will be Easter Monday, the 16th of April.'

A view of the original 1838 station building sited on Warwick Road whilst a Bury locomotive heads a train to Birmingham
Ref: lnwrcov553
Illustrated London News
View of the 1838 station building sited on Warwick Road as a Bury locomotive heads a train to Birmingham
Painting showing Coventry Station looking towards Birmingham with the 1838 engine shed on the left and the original station on the right
Ref: broom2
G Broom GRA
Looking towards Birmingham with the 1838 L&BR engine shed on the left and the original station on the right
A Birmingham to London train hauled by a Bury 2-2-0 locomotive arrives at Coventry's orginal L&B station
Ref: lnwrcov559
Illustrated London News
A Birmingham to London train hauled by a Bury 2-2-0 locomotive arrives at Coventry's orginal L&B station
Engraving showing part of the second station's parcels bridge with the city's three spires in the background
Ref: lnwrcov2761
Anon
Engraving showing part of the second station's parcels bridge with the city's famous 3 spires in the background
View of the original bridge which carried Earlsdon Lane over the London and Birmingham Railway in 1837
Ref: lnwrcov2344
Anon
View of the original bridge which carried Earlsdon Lane over the London and Birmingham Railway in 1837

An early view of a L&B Birmingham to London train hauled by a Bury 2-2-0 approaching the outskirts of Coventry
Ref: lnwrcov578
Illustrated London News
A drawing of an early period L&BR train to London hauled by a Bury 2-2-0 approaching the outskirts of Coventry
View of the 1838 original L&B station building which remained in use as accommodation for station staff until 1959
Ref: lnwrcov609
HW Robinson
The 1838 original L&B station building which remained in use as accommodation for station staff until 1959
Another view of the original 1838 station building with the private driveway to the platforms and parcels buildings on the left
Ref: lnwrcov1563
HW Robinson
Another view of the 1838 station with the private driveway to the platforms and parcels buildings on the left
View of the London and Birmingham Railway cottages which stood above the railway off Warwick Road
Ref: lnwrcov2766
HW Robinson
View of the London and Birmingham Railway cottages which stood above the railway off Warwick Road

back to top

Coventry station from 1860 to circa 1903

Looking north, view of the second Coventry station built in 1840 showing the use of platforms with canopies
Ref: lnwrcov620
Coventry Library
Looking north, view of the second Coventry station built in 1840 showing the use of platforms with canopies
Close up showing the London end of the up platform, the water column, ash pit and the original and new signals
Ref: lnwrcov620a
Coventry Library
Close up showing the London end of the up platform, the water column, ash pit and the original and new signals
Close up of the down platform, train shed and passenger footbridge whilst a locomotive is seen underneath taking on water
Ref: lnwrcov620b
Coventry Library
Close up of Coventry's down platform and canopy whilst a locomotive is seen underneath taking on water
Close up of the Birmingham end of the up platform and the base of the passenger foot bridge for the down platform
Ref: lnwrcov620c
Coventry Library
Close up of the north end of the up platform and the base of the passenger foot bridge for the down platform
Close up of the main portion of the station's second up platform and a multitude of advertsing posters
Ref: lnwrcov620d
Coventry Library
Close up of the main portion of the station's second up platform and a multitude of advertsing posters

View of a LNWR 2-2-2 Bloomer at the up platform and a LNWR 0-6-0 DX goods passing through the station
Ref: lnwrcov645
Coventry Library
View of a LNWR 2-2-2 Bloomer at the up platform and a LNWR 0-6-0 DX goods passing through the station
Close up of the LNWR Brake Coach with its guards ducket and lamp on top and an early form of emergency cord
Ref: lnwrcov645b
Coventry Library
Close up of the LNWR Brake Coach with its guards ducket and lamp on top and an early form of emergency cord
Close up of of an early L&B four-wheels coach still fitted with luggage retaining supports fitted to the roof
Ref: lnwrcov645c
Coventry Library
Close up of of an early L&B four-wheels coach still fitted with luggage retaining supports fitted to the roof
Looking towards Birmingham from Stoney Road bridge with the down platform on the left and the rebuilt up platform on the right
Ref: lnwrcov1282
English Heritage
Looking to Birmingham from Stoney Road bridge with the down platform on the left and the up platform on the right
Close up of the original L & B water column now modified for its new position at the south end of the up platform
Ref: lnwrcov1282f
English Heritage
Close up of the original L & B water column now modified for its new position at the south end of the up platform

Close up showing hows the track arrangements at the Birmingham end of the station including the turnouts to the L & B shed and the up platform
Ref: lnwrcov1282c
English Heritage
Close up showing the track at the north end of the station including the turnouts to the L & B shed and the up platform
Close up showing the parcels siding including the wagon turntable installed on the right hand siding
Ref: lnwrcov1282d
English Heritage
Close up showing the parcels siding including the wagon turntable installed on the right hand siding
Close up showing the gas lamppost and the ducting used to protect the rodding to the signal and points
Ref: lnwrcov1282a
English Heritage
Close up of a gas lamppost and the ducting used to protect the rodding to the signal and points
Close up showing the new waiting room and just how short the down platform was for much of the 19th century
Ref: lnwrcov1282b
English Heritage
Close up showing the new waiting room and just how short the down platform was for much of the 19th century
View looking towards Birmingham as a LNWR 0-6-0 Cauliflower heads a passenger train into the up platform
Ref: lnwrcov289
Coventry Library
Looking towards Birmingham as a LNWR 0-6-0 Cauliflower heads a passenger train into the up platform

Close up showing the up platform after the 1890 building modifications but prior to the 1901-04 alterations
Ref: lnwrcov289a
Coventry Library
Close up of the up platform after the 1890 building modifications but prior to the 1901-04 alterations

back to top

Aerial photographs

Photographed circa 1921-2

A panoramic aerial view of Coventry station and goods yard with Spence Park footbridge at the bottom and Quinton Road over bridge at the top
Ref: lnwrcov554
Coventry Library
Aerial view of the station and goods yard showing Spence Park footbridge and Quinton Road overbridge
Close up showing Coventry's original 1838 station building, the 1901 rebuilt passenger station, the parcels depot
Ref: lnwrcov554a
Coventry Library
Close up showing the original 1838 station building, the 1901 rebuilt passenger station, the parcels depot
Close up view of No 1 Goods shed, cattle pens and the sidings running parallel to the main line
Ref: lnwrcov554b
Coventry Library
Close up view of No 1 Goods shed, cattle pens and the sidings running parallel to the main line
Close up showing the LNWR and MR Goods shed, No 2 Goods shed and the main offices
Ref: lnwrcov554c
Coventry Library
Close up showing the LNWR and MR Goods shed, No 2 Goods shed and the main offices
Close up showing the 25 ton electrically operated gantry, 5 ton hand-operated crane and stores area
Ref: lnwrcov554d
Coventry Library
Close up showing the 25 ton electrically operated gantry, 5 ton hand-operated crane and stores area

View of Coventry No 3 Signal box, Spencer Park foot bridge and the approach lines to No 1 Goods shed
Ref: lnwrcov554e
Coventry Library
View of Coventry No 3 Signal box, Spencer Park foot bridge and the approach lines to No 1 Goods shed
Close up showing the LNWR locomotive shed which lay between the junction to Leamington and Quinton Road
Ref: lnwrcov554f
Coventry Library
Close up of the LNWR engine shed which lay between the junction to Leamington and Quinton Road
Close up showing the L&BR railway cottages, laid out in a triangle. that occupied a corner of adjacent to King Henry VIII school
Ref: lnwrcov554g
Coventry Library
Close up of the L&BR railway cottages that occupied a corner of adjacent to King Henry VIII school

back to top

External views of the station

View of the original joint LNWR and MR Goods shed prior to the construction of the offices and other LNWR goods buildings
Ref: lnwrcov1284
Coventry Library
The joint LNWR and MR Goods shed prior to the construction of the offices and other LNWR goods buildings
View of Coventry Station's main entrance looking from Eaton Road with a tram standing at the terminus
Ref: lnwrcov646
Coventry Library
View of Coventry Station's main entrance looking from Eaton Road with a tram standing at the terminus
Another view looking from Eaton Road towards Coventry station showing an open top tram at the terminus
Ref: lnwrcov603
Coventry Library
Another view looking from Eaton Road towards Coventry station showing an open top tram at the terminus
Looking along the private road towards Warwick Road and the original 1838 station with the parcel office on the left
Ref: lnwrcov594
Coventry Library
Looking along the private road towards Warwick Road with the 1838 station and the parcel office on the left
View of the 'Royal Warwickshire' Regimental Band ready to march forward in to the city centre
Ref: lnwrcov618
Coventry Library
View of the 'Royal Warwickshire' Regimental Band ready to march forward in to the city centre in 1916

View of the main entrance of Coventry station and the canopy devoid of glazing and showing the traffic signs
Ref: lnwrcov676
AW Flowers
View of Coventry station's main entrance still in LMS livery with the canopy devoid of glazing on 10th April 1953
Looking past the taxi rank and the main entrance of Coventry station towards the 1838 original station
Ref: lnwrcov614
BR OPC
Looking past the taxi rank and the main entrance of Coventry station towards the 1838 original station
View of Coventry station's main entrance to the up platform in its new British Railway livery
Ref: lnwrcov593
BR OPC
Coventry station's main entrance to the up platform in its new British Railway livery on 11th May 1954
View of the cul-del-sac adjacent to Coventry station's main entrance
Ref: lnwrcov619
BR OPC
View of the cul-del-sac adjacent to Coventry station's main entrance as seen on 11th November 1954
View of Coventry stations' Refreshment Room and the Parcels Office
Ref: lnwrcov570
BR OPC
View of Coventry stations' Refreshment Room and the Parcels Office as seen on 10th April 1953

View of Coventry station's parcels office and depot viewed from the main entrance
Ref: lnwrcov566
BR OPC
Coventry station's parcels office and depot viewed from the main entrance as seen on 11th November 1954
Exterior view of Covenmtry station's parcels shed located by the up platform
Ref: lnwrcov616
BR OPC
Exterior view of Covenmtry station's parcels shed located by the up platform on 11th November 1954
A general view looking from the Warwick Road entrance of Coventry station prior to the 1901-4 rebuilding
Ref: lnwrcov2779
J Alsop
A general view looking from the Warwick Road entrance of Coventry station prior to the 1901-4 rebuilding
Close up showing the parcels office and the entrance to the parcel depot prior to the new 1901-4 rebuilding
Ref: lnwrcov2779a
J Alsop
Close up showing the parcels office and the entrance to the parcel depot prior to the new 1901-4 rebuilding
Close up of the parking area immediately behind the parcels  platform and the temporary booking hall
Ref: lnwrcov192a
Coventry Evening Telegraph
Close up of the parking area immediately behind the parcels platform and the temporary booking hall

back to top

Internal views of the Station

The Booking Office

Part view of the booking hall showing display cabinets, fares to local stations and map of 1950s Coventry
Ref: lnwrcov574
BR OPC
Part view of the booking hall showing display cabinets, fares to local stations and map of 1950s Coventry
Another part view of the booking hall and the various display cabinets and boards promoting local companies
Ref: lnwrcov575
BR OPC
Another part view of the booking hall and the various display cabinets and boards promoting local companies

back to top

The Parcel Dock

View of Coventry No 2 signal cabin with the parcels depot on the right and 15mph sign and the water column
Ref: lnwrcov1574
R Preston Hendry
View of Coventry No 2 signal cabin with the parcels depot on the right and 15mph sign and the water column
Close up showing the non-standard signal cabin erected in the 1860s and the water crane and fire devil
Ref: lnwrcov1574a
R Preston Hendry
Close up showing the non-standard signal cabin erected in the 1860s and the water crane and fire devil
Looking towards Birmingham with No 2 Coventry Signal Box with the parcel sidings and depot on the right and the ex-L&B engine shed on the left
Ref: lnwrcov622
HW Robinson
Looking to Birmingham with the parcel sidings and depot on the right and the ex-L&B engine shed on the left
Close up showing the end of the parcel dock adjacent to Coventry No 2 signal cabin with the parcel platform on the right
Ref: lnwrcov622a
HW Robinson
Close up of the end of the parcel dock next to Coventry No 2 signal cabin with the parcel platform on the right
Looking from the down platform towards the ramshackled parcels bay with a 57 ft Brake Van on the right and Coventry No 2 Signal box on the left
Ref: lnwrcov610
HW Robinson
Looking towards the parcels bay from the down platform with a 57 ft Brake Van standing in the parcel dock

Close up showing Coventry station's parcel dock and platform buildings with two Vent vans standing at the platform
Ref: lnwrcov610a
HW Robinson
Close up of Coventry station's parcel dock and platform buildings with two Vent vans standing at the platform
View looking directly towards the Parcels depot illustrating its evolution and the different types of construction used
Ref: lnwrcov611
HW Robinson
View looking directly towards the Parcels depot illustrating its evolution and the different types of construction used
Looking towards the parcel depot's offices built at the Birmingham end of Coventry's up platform
Ref: lnwrcov599
BR OPC
Looking towards the parcel depot's offices built at the Birmingham end of Coventry's up platform
Close up of a section of the parcels platform showing the range of goods being moved by passenger services
Ref: lnwrcov599a
BR OPC
Close up of a section of the parcels platform showing the range of goods being moved by passenger services
Another view of the parcels platform showing in the centre the now filled in recess of the former wagon turntable
Ref: lnwrcov600
BR OPC
Another view of the parcels platform showing in the centre the now filled in recess of the former wagon turntable

Close up showing further examples of parcels traffic which were dispatched from the station by  passenger train
Ref: lnwrcov600a
BR OPC
Close up showing further examples of parcels traffic which were dispatched from the station by passenger train
View looking towards Rugby from the parcel bay siding with Coventry No 2 Signal box immediately to the right
Ref: lnwrcov623
J Hyde
View looking towards Rugby from the parcel bay siding with Coventry No 2 Signal box immediately to the right
A general view looking from the Warwick Road entrance of Coventry station prior to the 1901-4 rebuilding
Ref: lnwrcov2779
J Alsop
A general view looking from the Warwick Road entrance of Coventry station prior to the 1901-4 rebuilding
Close up showing the parcels office and the entrance to the parcel depot prior to the new 1901-4 rebuilding
Ref: lnwrcov2779a
J Alsop
Close up showing the parcels office and the entrance to the parcel depot prior to the new 1901-4 rebuilding
View of Coventry station's parcels office and depot viewed from the main entrance
Ref: lnwrcov566
BR OPC
Coventry station's parcels office and depot viewed from the main entrance as seen on 11th November 1954

Exterior view of Covenmtry station's parcels shed located by the up platform
Ref: lnwrcov616
BR OPC
Exterior view of Covenmtry station's parcels shed located by the up platform on 11th November 1954
View inside the parcels depot with the office ahead and the platform on the right on 11th November 1954
Ref: lnwrcov564
R Preston Hendry
View inside the parcels depot with the office ahead and the platform on the right on 11th November 1954
View of a Clerestory LNWR Parcels Van being loaded with a range of bicycles for dispatching via an express service
Ref: lnwrcov549
Railway Gazette
A Clerestory LNWR Parcels Van being loaded with a range of bicycles for dispatching via an express service
Internal view of the LNWR Clerestory Parcels Van now fully loaded with bicycles of all shapes and sizes
Ref: lnwrcov548
Railway Gazette
Internal view of the LNWR Clerestory Parcels Van now fully loaded with bicycles of all shapes and sizes

back to top

Platform One

xxx
Ref: lnwrcov2778
J Alsop
An Edwardian view of Coventry station's up platform shortly after the 1901-4 building work had been completed
Another view of Coventry station's up platform with the remains of the 1850s passenger footbridge on the left and its 1901-4 replacement on the right
Ref: lnwrcov584
LGRP
The remains of the 1850s passenger footbridge on the left and its 1901-4 replacement on the right
Looking towards the Birmingham end of platform one's passenger concourse with the main entrance being on the right
Ref: lnwrcov598
BR OPC
Looking towards the north end of platform one's passenger concourse with the main entrance being on the right
View of the Birmingham end of the up platform's concourse taken after British Railways corporate signage has been erected
Ref: lnwrcov602
BR OPC
View of the northern end of the up platform after British Railways corporate signage has been erected
View showing the two main entrances to the station's up platform and with the booking office door in between
Ref: lnwrcov608
BR OPC
View showing the two main entrances to the station's up platform and with the booking office door in between

Another view of Coventry station's concourse on the up platform with the Refreshment Room to the right of the exit
Ref: lnwrcov607
BR OPC
Another view of Coventry station's concourse on the up platform with the Refreshment Room to the right of the exit
A later view of Coventry station's concourse on the up platform with the Refreshment Room to the right of the exit
Ref: lnwrcov606
BR OPC
A later view of Coventry station's concourse on the up platform with the Refreshment Room to the right of the exit
Looking towards Birmingham along the up platform concourse with Warwick Road bridge in the distance
Ref: lnwrcov562
BR OPC
Looking towards Birmingham along the up platform concourse with Warwick Road bridge in the distance
Looking towards the Birmingham end of Coventry station's up platform as viewed from beneath Stoney Road bridge
Ref: lnwrcov560
HW Robinson
Looking towards the north end of Coventry station's up platform as viewed from beneath Stoney Road bridge
Close up showing the up platform concourse and the luggage bridge with the passenger footbridge just visible behind
Ref: lnwrcov560a
HW Robinson
Close up of the up platform concourse and the luggage bridge with the passenger footbridge just visible behind

Looking across to the main entrance to the station on the up platform with the refreshment room on the extreme right
Ref: lnwrcov625
BR
Looking towards the station's main entrance on the up platform with the refreshment room on the extreme right
xxx
Ref: lnwrcov2771
BR OPC
Another view of the passenger concourse on platform 1 adjacent to the entrance to the booking hall in 1954
Close up showing the entrance and the main concourse area in front of the refeshment room on the right
Ref: lnwrcov625a
BR
Close up showing the entrance and the main concourse area in front of the refeshment room on the right
Looking towards the Rugby end of the up platform's concourse and the steps to the footbridge to the down platform
Ref: lnwrcov589
BR OPC
Looking towards the Rugby end of the up platform and the steps to the footbridge to the down platform
A later view looking towards the Rugby end of the up platform's concourse and the steps to the footbridge to the down platform
Ref: lnwrcov576
BR OPC
A later view of the Rugby end of the up platform and the steps to the footbridge to the down platform

Close up of the clocks and fingerboards which indicated the time of the departure of trains from the up platform
Ref: lnwrcov589a
BR OPC
Close up of the clocks and fingerboards which indicated the time of the departure of trains from the up platform
Close up showing adverts on the footbridge staircase including Triumph Motor Cycles on the risers of the steps
Ref: lnwrcov589b
BR OPC
Close up of the adverts on the footbridge steps including Triumph Motor Cycles on the risers of the steps
View of the end of the concourse showing one of the methods used to by the post office in transporting mail by train
Ref: lnwrcov613
BR OPC
The end of the concourse showing one of the methods used to by the post office in transporting mail by train
Close up of one of the column showing the names in chalk of the different towns and cities where the mail bags will go
Ref: lnwrcov613a
BR OPC
Close up of one of the column showing the names in chalk of the different towns and cities where the mail bags will go
View of the London end of the up platform's concourse partly occupied by the kiosk of Wymans the newsagents
Ref: lnwrcov552
BR OPC
View of the London end of the up platform's concourse partly occupied by the kiosk of Wymans the newsagents

View of Coventry station's up platform taken from the rear of a Diesel Multiple Unit (DMU) on a Nuneaton to Leamington service
Ref: lnwrcov581
G Coltas
Coventry station's up platform seen from the rear of a Diesel Multiple Unit on a Nuneaton to Leamington service
Close up showing the abutment of Stoney Road bridge and the building at the Rugby end of the up platform
Ref: lnwrcov242a
J Hyde
Close up showing the abutment of Stoney Road bridge and the building at the Rugby end of the up platform
View of the damage sustained to the Rugby end of the up platform including bomb craters to the running line
Ref: lnwrcov556
Coventry Evening Telegraph
View of the damage sustained to the Rugby end of the up platform including bomb craters to the running line
Looking towards Birmingham as Permanent Way staf concentrate upon repairing damage to the running lines
Ref: lnwrcov1569
NRM
Looking towards Birmingham as Permanent Way staf concentrate upon repairing damage to the running lines
Looking towards Birmingham  from the Rugby end of the up platform with the columns on the right remnants of the bomb damage
Ref: lnwrcov586
HW Robinson
Looking north from the Rugby end of the up platform with only the columns on the right remaining after the bombing

Looking north to the station with the temporary offices of the Coventry Evening Telegraph on the right
Ref: lnwrcov585
HW Robinson
Looking north to the station with the temporary offices of the Coventry Evening Telegraph on the right
Close up showing the opposite side of the up starter signals located at the end of the up platform
Ref: lnwrcov585a
HW Robinson
Close up showing the opposite side of the up starter signals located at the end of the up platform

back to top

Bomb damage to the station and the carriage sidings

View of the damage sustained to the Rugby end of the up platform including bomb craters to the running line
Ref: lnwrcov556
Coventry Evening Telegraph
View of the damage sustained to the Rugby end of the up platform including bomb craters to the running line
Looking towards Birmingham as Permanent Way staf concentrate upon repairing damage to the running lines
Ref: lnwrcov1569
NRM
Looking towards Birmingham as Permanent Way staf concentrate upon repairing damage to the running lines
View of the wreckage of the local passenger service from Leamington and, in the distance, the damaged shed
Ref: lnwrcov2765
Coventry Evening Telegraph
View of the wreckage of the local passenger service from Leamington and, in the distance, the damaged shed
View of the wreckage of the local passenger service from Leamington and, in the distance, the damaged shed
Ref: lnwrcov2643
Coventry Evening Telegraph
Looking towards Kenilworth with the carriage sidings in the centre and wrecked workmen huts on the right

back to top

The Leamington branch line and the southern approaches

View of the junction with the Leamington branch on the left protected by Coventry No 1 signal cabin
Ref: lnwrcov582
HW Robinson
View of the junction with the Leamington branch on the left protected by Coventry No 1 signal cabin
Looking to Rugby with the junction to the Leamington branch on the right and the shed visible in between
Ref: lnwrcov583
HW Robinson
Looking to Rugby with the junction to the Leamington branch on the right and the shed visible in between
Looking towards Rugby with Coventry No 1 Signal box in the vee between the main line and the branch to Leamington
Ref: lnwrcov563
HW Robinson
Looking towards Rugby with Coventry No 1 Signal box in the vee between the main line and the branch to Leamington
View of Coventry No 1 Signal box with the new Power Signal Box being constructed behind on the site of the old turntable
Ref: lnwrcov595
Anon
Coventry No 1 Signal box with the new Power Signal Box being constructed behind on the site of the old turntable
View of the Kenilworth branch junction with the up branchline now realigned and the down line and coach sidings still to be laid
Ref: lnwrcov1581
HW Robinson
Kenilworth junction with the up branch line now realigned and the down line and coach sidings still to be laid

View from Stoney Road bridge looking to Rugby with the Leamington branch bearing off to the right
Ref: lnwrcov557
HW Robinson
View from Stoney Road bridge looking to Rugby with the Leamington branch bearing off to the right
Close up showing the vacuum operated turntable and the buffer stops lying just a few feet short of the main line
Ref: lnwrcov582a
HW Robinson
Close up showing the vacuum operated turntable and the buffer stops lying just a few feet short of the main line
Close up showing Coventry's new Power Box being built on the site of the turntable on 20th September 1961
Ref: lnwrcov595a
Anon
Close up showing Coventry's new Power Box being built on the site of the turntable on 20th September 1961
Close up showing Coventry No 1 signal cabin which was the second to built at the southern end of the station
Ref: lnwrcov595b
Anon
Close up of Coventry No 1 signal cabin which was the second to built at the southern end of the station

back to top

Platform Two

View of the Rugby end of the down platform below Stoney Road bridge showing the late 19th century station structure
Ref: lnwrcov597
BR OPC
The Rugby end of the down platform below Stoney Road bridge showing the late 19th century station structure
Later view of the Rugby end of the down platform below Stoney Road bridge with only the new British Railway station sign as evidence
Ref: lnwrcov577
BR OPC
Later view of the Rugby end of the down platform with only the new British Railway station sign as evidence of change
View showing the long retaining wall covered in advertising posters that ran from the parcels bridge to Stoney Road bridge
Ref: lnwrcov587
BR OPC
View of the long retaining wall covered in posters that ran from the parcels bridge to Stoney Road bridge
View of the down platform showing the passenger footbridge and the Wymans the newsagent's booth underneath
Ref: lnwrcov588
BR OPC
The down platform showing the passenger footbridge and the Wymans the newsagent's booth underneath
Close up showing the down platform's train indicator boards and the rear emergency exit doors
Ref: lnwrcov588a
BR OPC
Close up showing the down platform's train indicator boards and the rear emergency exit doors

Looking from platform one across to platform two in the direction of Rugby showing the steps to the footbridge
Ref: lnwrcov219a
J Hyde
Looking from platform one across to platform two in the direction of Rugby showing the steps to the footbridge
View showing war time damage to Coventry station's passenger facilities at the Birmingham end of the down platform
Ref: lnwrcov591
BR
View of war time damage to Coventry station's passenger facilities at the Birmingham end of the down platform
One of the new DMUs stands on the down platform as one of the last Push-Pull trains departs the up platform
Ref: lnwrcov590
BR
One of the new DMUs stands on the down platform as one of the last Push-Pull trains departs the up platform
View of the 'incline machine' used to handle large crowds of passengers arriving back from their holiday excursions
Ref: lnwrcov551
HW Robinson
View of the 'incline machine' used to handle large crowds of passengers arriving back from their holiday excursions
View of the London and Birmingham shed with the 'incline machine' on the left and the parcel depot on the right
Ref: lnwrcov596
LGRP
View of the L&BR shed with the 'incline machine' on the left and the parcel depot on the right

View of the London and Birmingham water column taken from the end of the down platform and the incline machine
Ref: lnwrcov580
BR OPC
View of the L&BR water column taken from the end of the down platform and the incline machine
View of the gated exit from the incline maching located on Warwick Road next to the bridge
Ref: lnwrcov626
HW Robinson
View of the gated exit from the incline maching located on Warwick Road next to the bridge
View showing three significant remnants of the 1838 L & B Railway, the station, the engine shed and the water column
Ref: lnwrcov615
BR OPC
Three significant remnants of the 1838 L & B Railway, the station, the engine shed and the water column
Another view of the London and Birmingham Bury water column and fire devil located at the Birmingham end of the down platform
Ref: lnwrcov579
J Hyde
Another view of the L&BR Bury water column and fire devil located at the Birmingham end of the down platform
An unidentified Fowler 2-6-4T locomotive tops up its tanks on a Rugby to Birmingham train in 1957
Ref: lnwrcov2638
R Sharratt
An unidentified Fowler 2-6-4T locomotive tops up its tanks on a Rugby to Birmingham train in 1957

Close up showing the London and Birmingham Railway pump house that was sited at the rear of the engine shed
Ref: lnwrcov596a
BR
Close up showing the London and Birmingham Railway pump house that was sited at the rear of the engine shed
View showing the L&B locomotive shed on the left, Coventry No 2 Signal box in the middle and the parcel depot bay on the right
Ref: lnwrcov604
HW Robinson
The L&B locomotive shed on the left, Coventry No 2 Signal box in the centre and the parcel bay on the right

back to top

Coventry Goods Yard

Coventry Goods yard looking towards the entrance off Warwick Road with the MR shed on the left circa 1890
Ref: lnwrcov3728
H Taunt
Coventry Goods yard looking towards the entrance off Warwick Road with the MR shed on the left circa 1890
Close up showing part of the Warwick Road end of the goods yard with the MR shed in the background
Ref: lnwrcov3728a
H Taunt
Close up showing part of the Warwick Road end of the goods yard with the MR shed in the background
Close up showing the cattle docks, a Van and two cattle trucks one of which is open top having no roof
Ref: lnwrcov3728b
H Taunt
Close up showing the cattle docks, a Van and two cattle trucks one of which is open top having no roof
View of seven Hillman cars being transported to Coventry Goods yard by horse drawn trailers from the works
Ref: lnwrcov3731
Coventry Herald
View of seven Hillman cars being transported to Coventry Goods yard by horse drawn trailers from the works
Another view showing the seven Hillman Minx cars with the LNWR sheds in the background beyond the footbridge from Spencer Park to Grosvenor Road
Ref: lnwrcov3732
Coventry Herald
Another view showing the seven Hillman Minx cars with the LNWR sheds in the background beyond the Spencer Park footbridge

Close up showing Coventry Goods Yard looking in the direction of the LNWR Sheds and Warwick Road
Ref: lnwrcov3732a
Coventry Herald
Close up showing Coventry Goods Yard looking in the direction of the LNWR Sheds and Warwick Road
Workmen from Daimler and Lanchester Cars and the LMS attach a poster to the smokebox of the ex-LNWR 4-6-0 locomotive
Ref: lnwrcov3733
Coventry Herald
Workmen from Daimler and Lanchester Cars attach a poster to the smokebox of the ex-LNWR locomotive
Ex-LNWR 4-6-0 'Experiment		Class' No 5472	'Richard Moon' posers at the head of long train of long-wheelbase vans
Ref: lnwrcov3734
Coventry Herald
Ex-LNWR 4-6-0 'Experiment Class' No 5472 'Richard Moon' at the head of long train of long-wheelbase vans
Another view of the train of motor vans with posters showing both on the smokebox and on both sides of each van
Ref: lnwrcov3735
Coventry Herald
Another view of the exhibition train of motor vans with posters being fixed on both sides of each van
View of horse-drawn vehicles bringing a delivery of bicycles to Warwick Road goods yard for dispatching to all over the UK
Ref: lnwrcov558
Railway Gazette
Horse-drawn vehicles bringing a delivery of bicycles to Warwick Road goods yard for dispatching to all over the UK

Another view of bicycles being delivered to Warwick Goods yard where they will be loaded in to wagons via Coventry No 2 goods shed
Ref: lnwrcov1576
Railway Gazette
Another view of bicycles being delivered to Warwick Goods yard where they will be loaded in to wagons
View of a rake of open wagons being loaded with crates of Triumph cycles inside Coventry No 2 goods shed
Ref: lnwrcov1575
Railway Gazette
A rake of open wagons being loaded with crates of Triumph cycles inside Coventry No 2 goods shed
Inside the Coventry Goods Shed used to tranship road vehicles, in this instance a Hillman Minx, in September 1948
Ref: lnwrcov2762
Coventry Evening Telegraph
Inside the Coventry Goods Shed used to tranship road vehicles, in this instance a Hillman Minx, in 1948
Looking towards Rugby with the station building now complete with the exception of the multi-storey car park that lay behind the hoardings on the left
Ref: lnwrcov2642
A Smith
A publicity photograph showing the Triumph built 'AA' motorcycle sidecar being loaded into covered wagons
Close up of the Triumph built 'AA' motorcycle sidecar combinations being loaded into covered wagons
Ref: lnwrcov2642a
A Smith
Close up of the Triumph built 'AA' motorcycle sidecar combinations being loaded into covered wagons

Ex-MR 2F 0-6-0 No 3571 sports a 'Triumph' headboard as it leaves Coventry's goods yard with a train of Triumph sidecar combination
Ref: lnwrcov2641
A Smith
Ex-MR 2F 0-6-0 No 3571 heads a train of Triumph motorcycle sidecars out of Coventry's goods yard
Close up showing the sidings and timber single storey shed with the former MR's section of Coventry's goods yard
Ref: lnwrcov2641a
A Smith
Close up showing the sidings and timber single storey shed with the former MR's section of Coventry's goods yard
Close up showing the Midland Railway's sign between the two chimneys advertising their Parcels and Goods Office
Ref: lnwrcov2799a
C Thomas
Close up showing the Midland Railway's sign between the two chimneys advertising their Parcels and Goods Office
View of the covered loading area to Coventry's No 1 goods shed located in Warwick Road good next to the Birmingham to Coventry mainline
Ref: lnwrcov569
Coventry Evening Telegraph
Coventry's No 1 goods shed located in Warwick Road good next to the Birmingham to Coventry mainline
Close up showing the transhipment area on the ground floor of Coventry No 1 goods shed and the wide variety of goods traffic carried
Ref: lnwrcov569a
Coventry Evening Telegraph
Close up of the transhipment area of Coventry No 1 goods shed and the wide variety of goods traffic carried

Another close up of Coventry No 1 Goods shed and two of the wagon turntables situated on the two outside sidings
Ref: lnwrcov222a
Anon
Another close up of Coventry No 1 Goods shed and two of the wagon turntables situated on the two outside sidings
Viewed from the mainline this close up shows the side of Coventry No 1 Goods shed and its midway access point and one of the loading bays
Ref: lnwrcov229a
Anon
Close up showing one side of Coventry No 1 Goods shed and its midway access point and one of the loading bays
View of the cattle dock installed with the opening of the new Abattoir with Coventry No 4 Signal box in the distance
Ref: lnwrcov193
Coventry Library
The cattle dock installed with the opening of the new Abattoir with Coventry No 4 Signal box in the distance
Close up of the Cattle Dock and offices showing the ramps and fencing used to guide the livestock
Ref: lnwrcov193a
Coventry Library
Close up of the Cattle Dock and offices showing the ramps and fencing used to guide the livestock
View showing a variety of timber-framed and clad huts and an old carriage used as mess and storage facilities in Warwick Road goods yard
Ref: lnwrcov624
BR OPC
A variety of timber-framed huts and an old carriage used as mess and storage facilities in Warwick Road goods yard

Ex-LMS 4MT 2-6-4T No 42265 is seen marshalling empty coaching stock in Coventry goods yard in early 1960s
Ref: lnwrar3742
A Weir
Ex-LMS 4MT 2-6-4T No 42265 is seen marshalling empty coaching stock in Coventry goods yard in early 1960s
View of a very early LNWR Guards Passenger Brake Coach now being used by the Carriage and Wagon Department
Ref: lnwrcov601
BR OPC
A very early LNWR Guards Passenger Brake Coach now being used by the Carriage and Wagon Department
View of the inside of the mess hut showing the range of equipment including fireplace, boiler and wash basins
Ref: lnwrcov592
BR OPC
View of the inside of the mess hut showing the range of equipment including fireplace, boiler and wash basins
View of one of the grounded coach bodies used by staff both in the goods yard and carriage sidings for storage and mess facilities
Ref: lnwrcov568
BR OPC
A grounded coach body used by staff in the goods yard and carriage sidings for storage and mess facilities
Coventry Goods Yard looking from Spencer Park foot bridge towards Winifred Avenue and the Nuneaton branch in 1982
Ref: lnwrar3741
J Flounders
Coventry Goods Yard looking from Spencer Park foot bridge towards Winifred Avenue and the Nuneaton branch

back to top

The Nuneaton branch line and the northern approaches

View of the junction with the Nuneaton branch showing Coventry No 3 Signal box and Warwick goods yard
Ref: lnwrcov617
R Barby
View of the junction with the Nuneaton branch showing Coventry No 3 Signal box and Warwick goods yard
Close up of an ex-LMS 4-6-0 Stanier 'Black 5' at the head of a Nuneaton bound mixed freight train as it passes the throat of Warwick goods yard
Ref: lnwrcov617a
R Barby
Close up of an ex-LMS 4-6-0 Stanier 'Black 5' at the head of a Nuneaton bound mixed freight train
Close up showing Coventry No 4 Signal box in the distance and the sidings that ran on the left and the branch lines that ran immediately to the right
Ref: lnwrcov638a
BR OPC
Close up with Coventry No 4 signal box in the distance, the sidings on the left and the branch lines on the right
Close up showing some of the Signal and Telegraph (or S&T) department staff undertaking some of the advanced work
Ref: lnwrcov617b
R Barby
Close up showing some of the Signal and Telegraph department staff undertaking some of the advanced work
Close up showing Coventry No 3 Signal box with the footbridge to Spencer Road Park immediately behind in 1919
Ref: lnwrcov571a
LNWR Society
Close up of Coventry No 3 Signal box with the footbridge to Spencer Road Park immediately behind in 1919

View of the junction with the Nuneaton branch showing Coventry No 3 Signal box and Warwick goods yard
Ref: lnwrcov617
Anon
Ex-LMS 2-8-0 8F No 48753 is seen coming off Nuneaton branch with a southbound coal train circa 1960
Close up showing Warwick Goods yard offices and the miscellaneous huts used for storage and mess facilities
Ref: lnwrcov229b
Anon
Close up showing Warwick Goods yard offices and the miscellaneous huts used for storage and mess facilities
Close up of a driver's view approaching the station before passing under Warwick Road bridge
Ref: lnwrcov243a
G Coltas
Close up of a driver's view approaching the station before passing under Warwick Road bridge
Close up showing the realigned tracks to Platform Four and the short siding installed to accommodate the Permanent Way gang and their material
Ref: lnwrcov222b
Anon
Close up of the realigned tracks to Platform Four and the short siding installed to accommodate the PW gang
Close up showing the end of Coventry's island platform looking towards Birmingham as a Permanent Way gang realign the tracks
Ref: lnwrcov224a
BR OPC
Close up showing the end of of the island platform looking towards Birmingham as a PW gang realign the tracks

back to top

The demolition and rebuilding of Coventry station

Looking across to the remnants of the up platform and the parcel office the only structure still standing
Ref: lnwrcov630
HW Robinson
Looking across to the remnants of the up platform and the parcel office the only structure still standing
Close up view of the parcel depot and the remains of the 1860s station's luggage lift now used as for storage
Ref: lnwrcov630a
HW Robinson
Close up view of the parcel depot and the remains of the 1860s station's luggage lift now used as for storage
Close up showing the now demolished booking hall with parcel traffic being kept under cover
Ref: lnwrcov630b
HW Robinson
Close up showing the now demolished booking hall with parcel traffic being kept under cover
View of the excavation of platform 4 as passengers prepare to depart on a down express to New Street
Ref: lnwrcov627
Anon
View of the excavation of platform 4 as passengers prepare to depart on a down express to New Street
Close up of the construction work associated with the new platform 4 showing the rear of the original down platform
Ref: lnwrcov627a
Anon
Close up of the construction work associated with the new platform 4 showing the rear of the original down platform

Close up of the temporary footbridge which crossed the line from the old down platform to beyond the new up platform
Ref: lnwrcov627b
Anon
Close up of the temporary footbridge made of scaffolding which crossed the lines between the platforms
Looking towards Rugby along the up platform during the construction of the new station and Stoney Road bridge
Ref: lnwrcov1570
R Preston Hendry
Looking towards Rugby along the up platform during the construction of the new station and Stoney Road bridge
View of the up platform and its surviving platform structures located at the Rugby end of Coventry station
Ref: lnwrcov644
Coventry Evening Telegraph
View of the up platform and its surviving platform structures located at the Rugby end of Coventry station
An early view of the demolition of Coventry station seen from Warwick Road bridge looking south to Rugby
Ref: lnwrcov2775
D Stubbs
An early view of the demolition of Coventry station seen from Warwick Road bridge looking south to Rugby
View of Coventry No 1 Signal box and the track being realigned at the junction of the Kenilworth branch with the Rugby main line
Ref: lnwrcov635
J Hyde
Coventry No 1 signal cabin and the track being realigned at the junction of the Kenilworth branch

Close up showing several ex-LMS 2MT 2-6-0 tender locomotives being stored ready for scrapping
Ref: lnwrcov1581a
HW Robinson
Close up showing several ex-LMS 2MT 2-6-0 tender locomotives being stored ready for scrapping
View showing  the majority of Coventry station's buildings are now demolished with the exception of the footbridge
Ref: lnwrcov2776
B Brooksbank
View showing the majority of Coventry station's buildings are now demolished with the exception of the footbridge
Close up showing the water column by Coventry No 2 Signal Box was still in use right up to the last stages of rebuilding
Ref: lnwrcov2776a
B Brooksbank
Close up of the water column by Coventry No 2 Signal Box was still in use right up to the last stages of rebuilding
Close up showing the up platform side of the temporary footbridge and the contractor's site huts occupying the Birmingham end of platform one
Ref: lnwrcov251a
Anon
Close up of the footbridge and the contractor's site huts occupying the Birmingham end of platform one
View of Coventry station during rebuilding with the island platforms yet to receive the final level of hardcore and tarmac finish
Ref: lnwrcov631
BR OPC
The station during rebuilding with the island platforms yet to receive the final level of hardcore and tarmac finish

View of Coventry station's new trackwork to platforms 3 and 4 showing the phased process required during construction
Ref: lnwrcov632
BR OPC
View of Coventry station's new trackwork to platforms 3 and 4 showing the phased process required during construction
Looking north along the site of the new platforms, 2 and 3, with parts of the old station still evident on the right
Ref: lnwrcov2770
BR OPC
Looking north along the site of the new platforms, 2 and 3, with parts of the old station still evident on the right
Close up showing the southern end of the passenger facilities on platform 4 and the retaining wall behind
Ref: lnwrcov2770a
BR OPC
Close up of the southern end of the passenger facilities on platform 4 and the retaining wall behind
A three car DMU stands at Coventry's up platform which still retains some of the original structure
Ref: lnwrcov2770b
BR OPC
A three car DMU stands at Coventry's up platform which still retains some of the original structure
View showing the rebuilding of the station as a gang of labourers completing the backfilling of the island platform
Ref: lnwrcov640
BR OPC
View of the rebuilding of the station as a gang of labourers completing the backfilling of the island platform

View of the island platform structure being built and the changed vista looking through to Spencer Park footbridge
Ref: lnwrcov639
BR OPC
View of the island platform structure being built and the changed vista looking through to Spencer Park footbridge
Panoramic view of the rebuilding of the station taken from Stoney Road looking in the direction of Birmingham
Ref: lnwrcov633
BR OPC
Panoramic view of the rebuilding of the station taken from Stoney Road looking in the direction of Birmingham
View of the station looking in the direction of Rugby with ex-LMS 4-6-0 'Black 5' No 45274 standing at the head of a train immediately behind a DMU service
Ref: lnwrcov1580
R Preston Hendry
Looking towards the partly built passenger bridge which connects all four platforms to the booking hall concourse
Looking north towards Birmingham with the new four platform layout now well advanced by 1961
Ref: lnwrcov628
BR OPC
Looking north towards Birmingham with the new four platform layout now well advanced by 1961
The central island platform forming platforms 2 and 3 is well advanced in this view looking towards Rugby
Ref: lnwrcov629
BR OPC
The central island platform forming platforms 2 and 3 is well advanced in this view looking towards Rugby

View of a four-car DMU standing at the new up platform with the new concourse structure in the background
Ref: lnwrcov636
HW Robinson
A four-car DMU stands at the new up platform with the new concourse structure in the background
Coventry No 3 replacement signal box located in the vee of the junction with the Nuneaton branch
Ref: lnwrcov638
BR OPC
Coventry No 3 replacement signal box located in the vee of the junction with the Nuneaton branch
Close up of the replacement British Railways standard designed Coventry No 3 signal box
Ref: lnwrcov638b
BR OPC
Close up of the replacement British Railways standard designed Coventry No 3 signal box
View of the foundations being laid to the new parcels depot and buffer stops to the three platforms and with the old station in the background
Ref: lnwrcov1577
Coventry Library
View of the building of the parcels depot and its three platforms and with the old station in the background
View of Coventry station's temporary accommodation used during the rebuilding of the station which included all passenger facilities
Ref: lnwrcov1572
R Preston Hendry
Coventry station's temporary booking office and passenger facilities used during the rebuilding of the station

Ad-hoc transfer of parcels between platforms during the demolition and rebuilding of the station

Ex-LMS Ivatt 2-6-2T No 40104 at the head of a single parcels van being used to transport luggage and parcels
Ref: lnwrcov1573
R Preston Hendry
Ex-LMS Ivatt 2-6-2T No 40104 at the head of a single parcels van being used to transport luggage and parcels
BR Diesel Hydraulic 0-4-0 D 2911 is seen about to shunt a wagon of parcels from Platform 4 to Platform 1
Ref: lnwrcov2774
M Mensing
BR Diesel Hydraulic 0-4-0 D 2911 is seen about to shunt a wagon of parcels from Platform 4 to Platform 1
Close up of a single diesel railcar and van used to transfer luggage and parcels between the Platforms One and Four
Ref: lnwrcov632a
BR OPC
Close up of a single diesel railcar and van transferring luggage and parcels between the Platforms One and Four
View of ex-LMS 3MT 2-6-2T No 40152 as it stands with a 57 ft brake van on the truncated down through road
Ref: lnwrcov642
Anon
View of ex-LMS 3MT 2-6-2T No 40152 as it stands with a 57 ft brake van on the truncated down through road
View of ex-LMS 2P 0-4-4T No 41900 is seen running wrong road with a parcels train having just left the new depot
Ref: lnwrcov643
Anon
View of ex-LMS 2P 0-4-4T No 41900 is seen running wrong road with a parcels train having just left the new depot

back to top

The new station

The station building now complete with the exception of the multi-storey car park to be built on the left
Ref: lnwrcov634
BR OPC
The station building now complete with the exception of the multi-storey car park to be built on the left
Looking eastwards along platform one towards Rugby six months after the station had opened on 1st March 1962
Ref: lnwrcov2784
B Brooksbank
Looking east along platform one towards Rugby six months after the station had opened on 1st March 1962
The clean lines of a Park Royal DMU standing at Coventry station's No 3 platform with a service for Nuneaton
Ref: lnwrcov2773
Birmingham Post & Mail
A Park Royal DMU is standing at Coventry station's No 3 platform with a Nuneaton service
View of the new station concourse looking towards Eaton Road on the day before the offical opening
Ref: lnwrcov1579
BR OPC
View of the new station concourse looking towards Eaton Road on the day before the offical opening
An elevated view of the interior of Coventry station's new booking hall and passenger concourse six months after opening
Ref: lnwrcov2785
B Brooksbank
An elevated view of Coventry station's new booking hall and passenger concourse six months after opening

Aerial view of Coventry station looking towards Birmingham with the branch to Leamington on the left
Ref: lnwrcov641
J Hyde
Aerial view of Coventry station looking towards Birmingham with the branch to Leamington on the left

back to top

Members of Staff

Mr John James King, Chief Cartage Foreman, with the Midland Railway shed and offices in the background
Ref: lnwrcov2799
C Thomas
Mr John James King, Chief Cartage Foreman, with the Midland Railway shed and offices in the background
A posed photograph of senior LNWR staff with John James King is second from the right on the front row
Ref: lnwrcov2800
C Thomas
A photograph of Coventry Goods Station's staff on the 60th Birthday of HH Cheshire with JJ King to his right
A posed photograph of senior LNWR staff with John James King is second from the right on the front row
Ref: lnwrcov2800a
C Thomas
Close up showing John James King and five other colleagues, together showing three different hatbands
Mr John James King and a fellow worker standing in front of one of the many horses stabled at Coventry station
Ref: lnwrcov2798
C Thomas
Mr John James King and a fellow worker standing in front of one of the many horses stabled at Coventry station

back to top

Maps of Coventry station, goods shed and yard

Map of the station, shed and southern approaches

Layout of the station prior to the 1901-4 building work with Eaton road and the main entrance at the bottom
Ref: lnwrcov2768
Ordnance Survey
Layout of the station prior to the 1901-4 building work with Eaton road and the main entrance at the bottom
Part of the OS map showing the different lengths of platforms and the junction with Leamington branch
Ref: lnwrcov2768a
Ordnance Survey
Part of the OS map showing the different lengths of platforms and the junction with Leamington branch
Part of the Ordnance Survey map showing the private road in front of the station and the tram terminus in Eaton Road
Ref: lnwrcov2768b
Ordnance Survey
Part of the Ordnance Survey map showing the private road in front of the station and the tram terminus in Eaton Road
Layout of Coventry Shed in 1920 showing the original 42 foot turntable being accessed direct from the coaling road
Ref: lnwrcov2767
Ordnance Survey
Layout of Coventry Shed in 1920 showing the original 42 foot turntable being accessed direct from the coaling road
Ordnance Survey map showing goods yard, station & shed first surveyed in 1887 and published in 1888
Ref: lnwrar3256
National Library of Scotland
Ordnance Survey map showing goods yard, station & shed first surveyed in 1887 and published in 1888

Schematic Diagram of Coventry Station and Goods Yard

Map of the goods yard and northern approaches

Ordnance Survey map showing Coventry's extensive goods yard and the junction with the Nuneaton branch
Ref: lnwrcov2769
Ordnance Survey
Ordnance Survey map showing Coventry's extensive goods yard and the junction with the Nuneaton branch
xxx
Ref: lnwrcov2769a
Ordnance Survey
Part of the Ordnance Survey map showing Coventry Goods yard and the two LNWR sheds and the joint MR/LNWR shed
Part of the Ordnance Survey map showing the junction of the Nuneaton branch, the sidings and roads leading to the the goods sheds
Ref: lnwrcov2769b
Ordnance Survey
Part of the OS map showing the Nuneaton branch junction, the sidings and roads leading to the the goods sheds
Part of the Ordnance Survey map showing the entrance to the goods yard off the Nuneaton branch
Ref: lnwrcov2763
Ordnance Survey
Part of the Ordnance Survey map showing the entrance to the goods yard off the Nuneaton branch

Map of the goods yard and northern approaches

Ordnance Survey map showing Coventry Goods Yard, Station and Shed which revised in 1903 and published in 1906
Ref: lnwrar3260
National Library of Scotland
OS map showing Coventry Goods Yard, Station and Shed which revised in 1903 and published in 1906
Ordnance Survey map showing Coventry Station & Shed which was revised in 1912 but not published until circa 191
Ref: lnwrar3254
National Library of Scotland
OS map showing Coventry Station & Shed which was revised in 1912 but not published until circa 191
Ordnance Survey map showing Coventry Station & Shed which was revised in 1923 but published circa 1926
Ref: lnwrar3252
National Library of Scotland
OS map showing Coventry Station & Shed which was revised in 1923 but published circa 1926
Ordnance Survey map showing Coventry Station & Shed which was revised in 1938 but published circa 1944
Ref: lnwrar3250
National Library of Scotland
Ordnance Survey map showing Coventry Station & Shed which was revised in 1938 but published 1944
Ordnance Survey Map Revised 1938 Published circa 1947 showing Coventry Station & Shed
Ref: lnwrar3248
National Library of Scotland
Ordnance Survey Map Revised 1938 Published circa 1947 showing Coventry Station & Shed

Ordnance Survey map showing goods yard, station & shed first surveyed in 1887 and published in 1888
Ref: lnwrar3256
National Library of Scotland
Ordnance Survey map showing goods yard, station & shed first surveyed in 1887 and published in 1888
Ordnance Survey map showing Coventry Goods Yard & Albany Road as first surveyed in 1887 and published in 1888
Ref: lnwrar3257
National Library of Scotland
OS map showing Coventry Goods Yard & Albany Road as first surveyed in 1887 and published in 1888
Ordnance Survey map showing Coventry Goods Yard & Albany Road which was revised in 1903 and published in 1906
Ref: lnwrar3259
National Library of Scotland
OS map showing Coventry Goods Yard & Albany Road which was revised in 1903 and published in 1906
Ordnance Survey map showing Coventry Goods Yard, Station and Shed which revised in 1903 and published in 1906
Ref: lnwrar3260
National Library of Scotland
OS map showing Coventry Goods Yard, Station and Shed which revised in 1903 and published in 1906
Ordnance Survey map showing Coventry Goods Yard & Albany Road which was revised in 1912 and published circa 1919
Ref: lnwrar3255
National Library of Scotland
OS map showing Coventry Goods Yard & Albany Road which was revised in 1912 and published circa 1919

Ordnance Survey map showing Coventry Goods Yard & Albany Road which was revised in 1923 but published circa 1926
Ref: lnwrar3253
National Library of Scotland
OS map showing Coventry Goods Yard & Albany Road which was revised in 1923 but published circa 1926
Ordnance Survey map showing Coventry Goods Yard & Albany Road which was revised in 1938 but published circa 1944
Ref: lnwrar3251
National Library of Scotland
OS map showing Coventry Goods Yard & Albany Road which was revised in 1938 but published 1944
Ordnance Survey map revised in 1938 but published circa 1947 showing Coventry Goods Yard & Albany Road
Ref: lnwrar3249
National Library of Scotland
Ordnance Survey map revised in 1938 but published circa 1947 showing Coventry Goods Yard & Albany Road

Ordnance Survey Maps 25 Inch to the Mile Scale

Maps showing Station and Goods Yard immediately either side of Warwick Road

An 1887 25 inches to the mile Ordnance Survey map of the goods yard and station either side of Warwick Road
Ref: lnwrcov3729
National Library of Scotland
An 1887 25 inches to the mile Ordnance Survey map of the goods yard and station either side of Warwick Road
Close up of the 1887 OS map showing the sidings and cattle docks adjacent to the entrance from Warwick Road
Ref: lnwrcov3729a
National Library of Scotland
Close up of the 1887 OS map showing the sidings and cattle docks adjacent to the entrance from Warwick Road
A 1903 25 inches to the mile Ordnance Survey map of the goods yard and station either side of Warwick Road
Ref: lnwrar3739
National Library of Scotland
A 1903 25 inches to the mile Ordnance Survey map of the goods yard and station either side of Warwick Road
A 1912 25 inches to the mile Ordnance Survey map of the goods yard and station either side of Warwick Road
Ref: lnwrar3740
National Library of Scotland
A 1912 25 inches to the mile Ordnance Survey map of the goods yard and station either side of Warwick Road

Maps showing Goods Yard and the Junction with the Nuneaton Line

A 1903 25 inches to the mile OS map of the junction with the Nuneaton branch line and entrance to the goods yard
Ref: lnwrar3736
National Library of Scotland
A 1903 25 inches to the mile OS map of the junction with the Nuneaton branch line and entrance to the goods yard
A 1912 25 inches to the mile OS map of the junction with the Nuneaton branch line and entrance to the goods yard
Ref: lnwrar3737
National Library of Scotland
A 1912 25 inches to the mile OS map of the junction with the Nuneaton branch line and entrance to the goods yard
A 1937 25 inches to the mile OS map of the junction with the Nuneaton branch line and entrance to the goods yard
Ref: lnwrar3738
National Library of Scotland
A 1937 25 inches to the mile OS map of the junction with the Nuneaton branch line and entrance to the goods yard

back to top

Coventry Station (226) Locomotives seen at Coventry Station (115) Coventry Shed (58)